Author Topic: Henry Ross  (Read 10491 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ross
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
If you do a search on google books for "castle view" +askeaton you will see one of the results is for an entry from Samuel Lewis topographical Directory of Ireland for the parish of Iverus/Iverossa in 1837. The parish is described as being 3 miles north of the town of Askeaton.

The entry mentions some of the 'elegant houses' in the parish and includes 'Castle View of H. Ross esq'. There's no mention of him being a Rev.. the minister for the parish is listed as a Rev. A. Champange.

The link to the page is : Lewis 1837, Iverus/Iverossa

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
found Castle View on the 1st edition OSI map (1820s-40s), it's in the townland of Beagh, in the Civil parish of Iveruss, and appears to be right on the coast of the Shannon estuary.

see :  Castle View, Beagh, Iverus (click on the historic or historic bw option)

The red lines on the map indicate the borders of each townland, and the green ones the (civil) parish boundaries.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
There are several listings on Griffith's for the Ross surname in the townland of Beagh, including a George : Griffith's - George Ross, Beagh, Iverus Parish

I think this is the same one as mentioned by agho earlier, and although the Union (registration district) is Rathkeale, this location is actually quite distant (~20km) from that town, and closer to Askeaton (~7km).

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
thinking about this a bit more, I'm not sure that the George Ross in Limerick is the right person... as the Rev. George Ross, previously mentioned as son of Henry, is listed in his parish in Killinick, Co. Wexford in Thom's 1848, 1850, 1852, 1857,1863 etc and also on Griffth's valuation dated 1853.

see : Griffith's Valuation - Killinick, Wexford

The Griffith's valuation record for the townland of Beagh is dated 1854.

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Shane and Agho . You're right, it is unlikely to be my George Ross, although he did own some land in the Limerick/Clare area. But do you think it is possible that George in Beagh might be a nephew of Killinick George ?. He did have siblings but I only have one name and that is of his sister Frances Isabella Steers Ross. Thanks again you are a great help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Shane and Agho . You're right, it is unlikely to be my George Ross, although he did own some land in the Limerick/Clare area. But do you think it is possible that George in Beagh might be a nephew of Killinick George ?. He did have siblings but I only have one name and that is of his sister Frances Isabella Steers Ross. Thanks again you are a great help.

The two other Ross's on Griffith's (George Ross & John Parker Ross) are in the townland of Beagh, which fit's with the Castle View residence.. so I'd say there's a good possibility that they are connected to your Henry & George in some way

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline jgardiner

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi-
I was searching this site for details of the owner of my house- Castle View House, Beagh, Askeaton, Co Limerick, when I came across your chat about Henry Ross and George Ross. I could see that the gardens here were formally set out in 1829 maps and as our family-Shiers were farmers, and folklore had said the house was used as a rectory, I was delighted to get info on the family who lived here for most of the 19th century. The house is as intact as it was was at that time with some modernisation done. It is a relatively small Georgian house and farm - I could also see that a contact called Shellback was related to this family and he was searching for the house closer to Limerick.
Any other details you may have on this family would be very interesting-J Gardiner 

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 August 12 11:58 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in learning more about John Parker Ross of Castle View as I have been researching various Parker families of county Limerick for many years.  I have the following marriages in my notes:

THE CORK MERCANTILE CHRONICLE of 4 Jun 1806 announced the marriage of Henry Ross, of Brenena, near Rathcormuck, in the Co. of Cork, Esq., to Miss Amelia Parker, daughter of the Rev. John Parker, Prebendary of Ballycahane, Co. Limerick.
The marriage settlement is in the Registry of Deeds:
1806: Book 572, Page 566 no. 393334 Rev. John and Amelia to Ross.

Henry and Amelia appear to have been the parents of Frances Isabella Steers Ross who m. Thomas Royse J.P. of Ballinvirick.

So it seems extremely likely that these marriage reports refer to Amelia's parents:

FDJ Tue 6 Mar 1764
married in Limerick, the Rev Mr John PARKER to
Miss STEERES dau of the Rev. Richard STEERES
deceased

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/IRL-LIMERICK/2004-04/1081089299 says
Freeman Journal
Dublin, Ireland
Saturday, March 10, 1764
MARRIAGES.] At Limerick, the Revd. Mr. John Parker to Miss Steers, Daughter of
the late Revd. Mr. Richard Steers.--

Also http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Dublin/1764/MAR.html
Freeman Journal
Dublin, Ireland
Tuesday, March 6, 1764
Limerick, March. ?. This Morning, the Rev. Mr. John Parker was married to Miss Steers, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Richard Steers, deceased; an agreeable young lady with 1200l. fortune.

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile