Author Topic: George Woods & Anne Gilliland, Mullantra, Kingscourt  (Read 20933 times)

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Woods & Anne Gilliland, Mullantra, Kingscourt
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 March 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Since placing the original post, I have obtained the marriage certificate for George Woods and Ann Gilliland.

George Woods and Ann Gilliland were married on 13 March 1873 at Loughmourne Presbyterian Church, parish of Aughnamullen, Castleblayney, co Monaghan.  George Woods was a bachelor of "full" age (no figure given) and a farmer residing at Pottle, parish of Bailieborough, co Cavan.  His father was Charles Woods, farmer.  Ann Gilliland was a spinster aged 20 years, no profession, of Aghmakerr (writing isn't too clear), parish of Aughnamullen, co Monaghan.  Her father was Joseph Gilliland, farmer.  The witnesses were James G Mahood and Susanna Phillips.

I've also now got birth certificates for some of their children: Thomas Woods in 1876, unnamed child in 1878, Emily in 1881, Joseph in 1886 and Isaac in 1894.  Except for Emily's certificate which quotes the residence as Cabra, all the birth certificates quote Mullantra (or varied spelling).

I've tried to identify death certificates for George Woods and Ann Gilliland, but no luck so far.  But I have a few other ideas to try.

Meanwhile, I've got the death certificate for Ann Gilliland's father: Joseph Gilliland.  He died on 13 May 1887 at Aghmakerr (the death certificate quotes district of Ballybay, in the union of Castleblayney, co Monaghan).  Joseph was a widower, aged 72 years, and a farmer.  The death was registered by Lizzie Gilliland, daughter-in-law.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Offline Ann Morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 13 20:30 GMT (UK) »
David
My name is Ann Morris and I am Annie Woods' granddaughter - my mother was her youngest daughter, Barbara.  Have only just started to research my grandmother's side of the family, having been working on Charles Quiney's (her husband) family tree. Afraid I can't tell you anything about the origins of George Woods and Anne Gilliland but would be very happy to tell you about Annie. I think(?) she and Alice are the same person. Annie was born on 17 Jan 1878. Her marriage certificate of 1909 July ( Bristol) quotes her father as George and his rank/ profession as driver! I can recall Annie visiting her sister Emily and husband Sam in Ayr quite frequently. Let me know if this is of any interest to you and if you would like to know any more about this branch of the family.

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Ann

I am so delighted to hear from you.  I have tried to find your family before, but never managed.  As well as searching on the internet, I wrote once to an address in Welling which I got from the will of Emily Woods from 1958.

I would like very much to hear more about your branch of the family.  And I will share with you everything I know about the rest!  Some years ago, I met Ronald Woods (grandson of Isaac Woods) when I discovered that Ronald was living in the same town as me - despite neither of our families coming from that area.  It was one of life's strange coincidences.

Rather than putting too much personal stuff on this open page, I would rather communicate using the Personal Message facility on Rootschat.  But I see that you are new to the site.  You need to post 3 normal open replies to get access to Personal Messages.  Without trying to beat the system, if we exchange a couple of notes on this open page, you will get access to Personal Messages and we can talk more privately then.

I need to dig out all my Woods notes.  I have now got bits and pieces scribbled in different places.  I need the discipline of pulling it all together, which I will happily do to share with you.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

David

Offline Ann Morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 13 20:10 GMT (UK) »
David
Good to hear from you. I appreciate what you mean about the message system.
I think you must have written to Welling after my parents moved in the early 60s.
Ann

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Ann

I wrote to Welling about 10 years ago, so missed your family by several decades.  I wonder if your grandmother got Emily Woods' household linen, your mother the jewellery and you the legacy on your 21st birthday.  I wonder too if your family got a share of the money left by William Henry Woods when he died in 1957 (there was a wee bit of underhand shenanigans then).

I am interested to know whether your grandmother's marriage certificate records George Woods as living or deceased in 1909.  I have been unable to find a death certificate in either Ireland or Scotland (in 1901, his wife and most of the family are on the Glasgow census and his wife is given as "married", ie not "widowed").  But the next reference I have to George is on his wife's death certificate in 1903 when she is classed as a widow.  Interestingly, your grandmother as well as George are not listed with the family in Glasgow in 1901, and my attempts to find George and your grandmother on the 1901 census have not been successful.

Also, your grandmother's birth has a few anomalies.  I see you suggest that your grandmother is "Alice".  I have not been able to get a birth certificate for either an Anne Woods or Alice Woods.  But I do have a birth certificate for a female child registered as having been born on 18 January 1878 (ie not 17 January which you mention was your grandmother's birthday).  On the birth certificate that I have, no first name has been given to the child.  I thought maybe that this referred to a child who died very soon after birth, but maybe a name just hadn't been given yet.  Or maybe there are twins.  Meanwhile, Robert Woods' birth the following year was not registered at all (this caused him problems when he was joining the Glasgow police - I was in contact with two of Robert's daughters until their deaths in the 1990s).

My notes on the family are a bit jumbled, as I have gathered bits and pieces over time.  I will sort through my notes and write a summary.  That would be a good discipline for me, and help me think about other avenues that could be explored to build on the information.

If you reply to me once more that will give you access to the Personal Message facility.  I would like to know about your family and where you live etc.

Regards

David

Offline Ann Morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 March 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
David
So interested in what you told me. Was very touched that Emily had remembered us in her will but no household linen, jewellery or a legacy on my 21st ever reached us!  Nor did any share of the money of William Henry!
Annie and Charles' marriage certificate does not state whether George was living or dead. I had assumed ( shouldn't assume too much!) George was alive as there was no mention of being deceased but know that Charles' father Joseph died in 1898 and there is no mention of him being deceased.  I found the same people missing on the 1901 census and couldn't trace Emily anywhere. Do you know where she was in1901? After a lot of searching was overjoyed to find Annie Woods in 1901 as a cook/ domestic at the house of Jemima Doyal  in Cheltenham.  In the same household was a servant, Charles Turney! Such a find as I'd been searching for ages for Charles Quiney's whereabouts in 1901.
Am puzzled by anomalies of Annie's birth too.  Realise "Alice's" birthday is one day later than Annie's.   Couldn't make any progress here and did wonder too about a twin or non registration. Interesting that was the case with Robert.
Will be very happy to fill you in on Annie's life as my research on her husband has been very fruitful and she lived with us, after his death, until 1964.  Not able to find out though how she "appeared" in Cheltenham and can't find any reference to her in Glasgow with the rest of the family.  Do you know what prompted the move to Glasgow around 1901? And  I can obviously bring you up to date with her family from then on! Will use Personal Messages for this.
I seem to recall my grandmother mentioning Isaac but whether she ever saw him on her visits to Scotland, I don't know.  I can remember her well into old age making the journey to Ayr to see Emily and Sam - she was so fond of both of them. Do you know if they had a family?
Looking forward to continuing this conversation.
Keep warm!
Ann

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Woods from Cavan & Meath - DNA
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 May 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
I have recently had my DNA tested and the results of my Woods y-chromosome are: M258+M423+S185+ or I2a1b2 (per ISOGG classifications) or I2a2b (per FTDNA classifications).  My group is also known as I2a-Isles.

My great-great-grandfather George Woods married Ann Gilliland at Loughmourne Parish Church, Aughnamullen, Castleblayney, co Monaghan in March 1873.  On the marriage certificate, George Woods gave his occupation as farmer of Pottle, Bailieborough, co Cavan, and his father as Charles Woods, farmer.  The Tithe Applotment Book between 1823-37 lists Charles Woods and William Woods at Pottle, Bailieborough, then classed as co Meath.  Griffith's Valuation lists Elizabeth Woods at Pottle (Elizabeth died at Pottle in July 1880, aged 70 years, widow of a farmer, with the death registered by Jane Woods of Pottle).  Between circa 1874 and 1900, George Woods and his family were staying at Mullantra, Cabra, Kingscourt, Bailieborough.  However, George Woods died in England in September 1901, with Meath listed as his birth place on the 1901 English census.  Meanwhile, George Woods' wife and children had moved to Glasgow.  Also, George Woods is believed to have had a brother who emigrated to America, while his sons Thomas Woods and George Woods went to Australia.  Family tradition has our Woods family as being originally from England, with George Woods' children being baptised in the Church of Ireland.

I would be very interested to hear from any Woods with the same y-chromosome.  Also, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might be researching the family.

Many thanks

David

merged with existing thread

Offline ronwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 May 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
On the surface, there does not seem to be any connection with the Woods family mentioned in the original post, however quite a few of the given names are the same as those in my family.

I am a great-grandson of Joseph Woods (born Lancashire 1823, parents Nathaniel Woods & Sarah Parkinson).  Joseph migrated to Australia, and he and Sarah Parker (b Hertfordshire 1845, parents William Parker & Letitia Aden) are believed to have arrived in Geelong in 1863 and travelled to Ballarat where they married.  It is thought that they may have moved around to various Victorian gold fields before finally settling at Stawell, Victoria, where Joseph died in 1885.  Sarah died in 1920, at either Carlton or Coburg Victoria (it's possible that she lived at Coburg but died in a hospital at Carlton).

They had the following children:
* Sarah Elizabeth - b 1864-1865
* James - b 1865-1868, died 13 Dec 1885
* Emily Alice - b 1868
* Mary Anne - b 1870-1871
* Elizabeth Jane - b 1874  (also known as Jane Woods & Elizabeth Jane Becworthy)
* George Albert - b 1979
* William Henry (my Grandfather) b 1883, Stawell Victoria, died 1961, Ringwood Victoria.

Some of the given names also appear in subsequent branches of the family, although little family research has been done thus far.  As far as I know, no-one has attempted to trace further back than Joseph and Sarah.

Kind regards
Ron
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
CLARK, Australia
MEDEL, Philippines
RESPALL, Philippines & Spain
WOODS, Australia

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 February 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered that George Woods (born circa 1856, married Ann Gilliland in 1873, and died in 1901), son of Charles Woods from Pottle, had at least one brother and two sisters:

- Robert Woods who was 22 years old and a farmer at Pottle when he married Susan Boyle (daughter of Thomas Boyle) of Galboly in September 1864.  Robert and Susan had a large family including Thomas (born 1865), Samuel (born 1867), William (born 1870) Anne (born 1872), James (born 1874), Robert (born 1877), Susan (born 1879), Charles (born 1881), Margaret (born 1885) and John James (born 1887).  Although the earlier children were born in co Cavan, the later ones were born at Ardee, co Louth.  As adults, some of the children moved to Collon, co Louth, while Samuel may have become a grocer in Scarva, co Down.

-  Mary Woods who married Hugh McBirney (son of John McBirney) from Drumharriff in February 1863, when Mary was 25 years old.  Mary and Hugh had at least 2 children: a female born 1867 and John James McBirney born 1869.

- Jane Woods who married James Brownlee (son of James Brownlee) from Rakeenan (?) in February 1888 when Jane was of "full age".  Jane Woods registered the death in 1880 at Pottle of her mother Elizabeth Woods (aged 70 years and widow of Charles Woods).

Also possibly related is Mary Ann Woods who was 22 years old when she married William Marshall (son of Joseph Marshall) of Curkish in June 1855.  The certificate quotes Mary Ann Woods as living at Pottle and the daughter of Thomas Woods, farmer.

In addition, a Thomas Woods (son of Thomas Woods, farmer) who was 26 years old and a servant living at Caruarea (?) married Elizabeth Lenard (daughter of William Lenard) of Canningstown in December 1864 at Bailieborough.