Author Topic: WILKINSON & WATSON from Westward Parish  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Dickiebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WILKINSON & WATSON from Westward Parish
« on: Thursday 04 March 10 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Help!  I'm at a dead-end re information about John WILKINSON (miller of Clea) who married Mary WATSON at Westward 06 August 1764.  They had 8 children - Lucy b. 1765 (m. Thomas MINGENS), John b. 1766, William b. 1768 (m. Jane JEFFERSON), Mary b. 1769, Thomas b. 1771 (died as child), Barbara b. 1772 (m. Josh FINLINSON), Sarah b. 1775 (m. John PORTER) & Peter b. 1778 (died as soldier in India in 1799).  Westward marriage registration states John & Mary were "not of this parish."  They may be from or connected to family in Bromfield or Greystoke.  Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline anthony pearson

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINSON & WATSON from Westward Parish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
hi dickibrid

i have a Mary Wilkinson married to a William pearson they were married in 1745 in cumberland
i do not know of her  mother and father
they had 2 children that we know of
mark pearson b 1750
thomas pearson b 1753 married to a Jane foster in 1783 cumberland
strong/stimpson/mccarrick/pearson/sparrow/parker/howd/johnston/baron/barron/
cairns/bell/

Offline Dickiebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information re Mary WILKINSON.  She could possibly be a relative.  Will add to my database.  I know the surname PEARSON is common in this region.  Dickiebird

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
This is a long time after your original post and my information may not come as good news.

John Fletcher (b1766) later called himself John Fletcher Wilkinson. (The Fletcher may be after his executor Sir Henry Fletcher, or may give a clue to earlier generations). Having been awarded a Doctor of Divinity he was chaplain on St Helena until 1808 when he resigned in something of a huff after a teacher was appointed on the island. Returning to London he was clearly well-off as this court case shows:
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18120115-71-victim756&div=t18120115-71#highlight

He died in 1828 and his PCC will leaves everything to his surviving siblings or their descendants. He names Lucy (dead), Mary (dead), William (dead), Sarah and Barbara. Rather touchingly he says he doesn't expect any of them to come down from Cumberland for his funeral!

The money wasn't paid across so there was a court case (1835) which names several of the children including Mary WORKMAN's children and William's children Peter and John. They may well be the Peter (1800) and John (1796) born to a William and Mary Wilkinson, but I hope I am wrong and that William and Jane also had those children and that your William died before 1828.

Some years ago I wrote about Lucy and John Wilkinson here (it may need updating):
https://www.64regencyancestors.com/mingings-and-bird

Apologies of this brings bad news. I can give you more details about the court case if you want.
And thanks for the information on John Sr as I didn't know he was a miller.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk