Author Topic: Nevin / Blackrock  (Read 16492 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Nevin / Blackrock
« on: Friday 05 March 10 08:16 GMT (UK) »
A couple of general questions for the Cork experts...

ggg-grandparents of mine married in The Chapel of St. Michael CofI (parish St. Finn Barrs) in Cork in 1854, but I know very little at this stage about the brides side of the family. Her name is Catherine Nevin, residence given as Blackrock, born c1838, and her father Andrew was a gardener. I am guessing that he may have worked in the gardens of a big house or estate in the Blackrock area

The groom Samuel Hodges was a coastguard based at Blackrock station at the time.

I am hoping the the upcoming parish records on IrishGenealogy will cover the area and give me some leads, but in the meantime :

does anyone know where the Coastguard station was located ?

were (are) there any big houses or estate nearby that are worth investigating ?

thanks,

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nevin / Blackrock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 10 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Shane

have a look at Cork on the Historic Map on the OSI site this is 1837 - 42. I can't see a coast guard station marked but would guess it was around Blackrock Castle. Blackrock was a very affluent suburb in those days with several "Big Houses". You can see them marked on the map. Also check out Lewis's Topographical Dictionary http://www.from-ireland.net/cor/lewis/b/blackrock.htm , he lists the major residents in 1837, all these would have been landed estates where your relatives may have worked.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 10 09:56 GMT (UK) »
take a look at these encumbered estate papers, it would appear that the coast guard station was part of this estate so possibly your relatives worked here?
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/cork/land/cork-est039.txt
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
very interesting thanks..

'..MAHON, part of Coast-Guard Station, Blackrock Baths, &c'

and the 1856 date mentioned fits in nicely.. definitely a couple of clues there to follow up

The strange thing is that there's no specific mention of the coastguard station on the 1820/40 OSI map, or others I've checked, yet it seems to have been there since the 1830s at least. Unless of course it could have been attached to the Castle and it's lighthouses.

thanks again.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 March 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I believe I've found something that gives me a location for the coast-guard station. Had another look at the OSI maps and compared these to the (handwritten?) Griffth's dated 1852 and the damaged map for the area of Blackrock town and townland of Mahon, and see site number 2, which is to the west of the townland on the coast, is listed as 'Commr. of Customs/Board of Ordnance/Coast Guard Station, Offices & Garden'.

This gives me a possible location at last for the CG station. I'll now have a look at the tenants nearby and the details in the link you found....

I think it was the Town vs townland of Mahon that was confusing my searches before... only realised the difference when I read through the details you found and looked again at the OSI map for the Castle.

thanks,

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaneW,

You are always so helpful to all the Rootschatters I did a bit of research for you today.  I went to the Cork City library -Local studies section where the staff are extremely helpful.  There was a small write up on The Blackrock Coastguard Station in a book called "East to Mahon" by Richard Henchion.
Quote-
Between 1820 and 1860 this occupied the site on the east side of the harbour later known as Undercliffe, although there is evidence to indicate that it was located below Lake View House for some part of the time.  The quay adjoining the station was called Ordnance Quay. 
About 1830's the pay rates of Irish Coast Guard personnel were as follows: A Chief Officer (Naval) had fur shillings per day and a Chief Officer(civilian) had
3s8d &1/4 a Chief Boatman got 2s9d and a 1/4 per day or £9/4/8 p.a. and Boatmen, as well as a commissioned Boatman., got  £4/12/4 p.a.  In 1850 the Commissioners of Customs were leasing the station from the Board of Ordnance.  The property was rated at £20.  The station seems to have been abandoned about 1861."

The area mentioned as Undercliffe appears to be "The Pier" which was also known as Baths Quay.   The other location is at the other side of Blackrock Castle .

In this book there is also a large section about "The Big Houses" in the area
the names listed -

Barnstead - occupied by Francis Woodley Lindsay (d. Nov 1872) landlord was
                     Mary Barrington.

Carrigduv House -  In 1830s/40's it was the home of Richard Notter, JP
Dromcora - built by George Sherlock - Richard Sampson was the Landlord.
Dundanion House -most attractive and most historical house in the townland. -Made famous by Thomas Deane.
Northcliffe- once owned by Joseph Nagle
Rockcliffe - occupied by John Dowman who died 1832
Webbville -various occupiers - Arthur Wm. Webb, Christopher D. Tuthill Villiers,
Wm. R. Coppinger
It gives much more details about each occupier which is very interesting.

I also visited the lovely St. Michaels Church (CofI) and took some photos of the church and graveyards. Couldn't find any headstones for Nevin unfortunately.

If you want me to send you the photos just send me a PM with your email address.

A brilliant website about the Coastguard is www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org
In a subsection there was a link to the Uk Gov with many Hodges listed but not your Samuel but maybe some relations.   
Have a look at http://wwwfrom-ireland.net/cor/lewis/b/blackrock.htm for detailed history of St. Michaels Church.

Hope this helps, sorry I can't enlighten you on the Nevins.

Mary
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 March 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
thanks a million for this... it's great to get this information on the location of the Coastguard station as that was causing me a problem. I will certainly follow up on those Blackrock names you found

I knew some Cork expertise would crack this for me!

Tony on the Coastguard of Yesteryear website gave me great assistance on starting off researching the ADM175 records  and following on from that I was able to complete Samuel's service details, up to 1856 when he was pensioned off from from Blackrock in December, on £34 per annum.

I will pm you my email..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 August 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Samuel Hodges and Catherine Nevin. Their son Robert was my gg grandfather. Robert died when my grandfather (Samuel Nevin Hodges, born in County Cavan 1-1-1887) was very small. His older sister was Sophie or Sophia. Robert was married to Johanna Carroll. Johanna Carroll Hodges and her children emigrated to the United States in the early part of the 20th century. I am seeking relatives/ descendants of Samuel and Catherine Nevin Hodges who may know something about Robert and Johanna and can "fill in the blank" pages of our family history. Also seeking info on Johanna Carroll's family.

Shirley
Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 August 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley,

I know of Robert, I believe I have a transcript of his baptism record in Bray Co. Wicklow, but never found a marriage for him. From what I've found so far he is Samuel & Catherine's 3rd child. Samuel was married before to a Sarah (poss Carter), and I've found four children of theirs born between the mid 1830s and about 1842 in south county Dublin.

I'll check what other details I have, and get back to you..

p.s. do you know where Robert and Johanna married ?

Shane
My Surname Interests