Author Topic: South Australia help - EWER  (Read 2468 times)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
South Australia help - EWER
« on: Friday 05 March 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

99% of my Australian family history is in NSW, so I'm very competent at that, but I also spend time researching all EWER people in Australian colonies. Almost all of them lived in NSW (descended from the convict Edward EWER) and a couple of VDL convicts.

I recently found that there was a EWER family in South Australia in the 1800's. I can tell little of it, but the NLA Newspapers site gives me hits for an Edward EWER (no connection to NSW I believe).

1859: Mentioned as being in Adelaide, in the SA Advertiser
big gap to 1908: again the advertiser, "Edward Ewer, of Young St, Parkside"
1911: Death of Edward Ewer, sen. in Advertiser. .. "removed from his son's residence, Park St, Hyde Park.. and inserted in the West Terrace Cemetery".

Can anyone give me any clues about when this Edward Ewer arrived in Adelaide? I'd like to try and trace him back to what I presume is England. I've tried some on-line searching and come up with zero.

Many thanks,
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia help - EWER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

From the Biographical Index of South Australians - no entry for Edward senior, but two sons listed.

EWER Edward born 30 Apr 1857 SA died 3 Oct 1915 buried WTC occupation Clerk residence Parkside religion C/E
married 9 Aug 1882 SA Emma born  about 1863 died 7 Jun 1928
children Laura Eliz 1887, Fredk Chas 1889, Elsie May 1891, Walter John 1894, Dorothy Myra BURROW 1896

EWER Hary born 19 May 1863 S A died 14 Jun 1914 buried WTC
married Leila Maude born  about 1870 died 7 Aug 1957

There are three births listed in SA to Edward EWER and Emma Elizabeth STRUTT

Edward 30 Apr 1857 Adelaide Dist Ade 11 38

Harry 13 Oct 1859 Adelaide Dist Ade 15 199

Harry 19 May 1863 Adelaide Dist Ade 27 240

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Edward and Emma EWER and their infant son  arrived in SA on the 23 Aug 1855 aboard the LISMOYNE (wrongly transcribed as EWEN)

Edward aged 30 a carpenter from Suffolk

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/lismoyne1855.htm

Edward EWER = Emma STRUTT Jun 1/4 1853 Sudbury 4a 546

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 10 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kris - this is all great stuff. Given that Edward and Emma arrived with an infant son named Edward my assumption is that he died and they named their next child also. Were bdm records from civil registers, or extracted from parish records about that time?

Parkside appears to be in what is now downtown Adealide... a google search reveals there still seems to be a Ewer in Parkside!

I'm going to look up that cemetery too.

cheers,
matt

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Civil registration began in 1842 so these are from the civil registration entries.

I do not see a death listed for young Edward but a lot of our early events were not registered.

Harry died 26 Feb 1861 Middleton Dist EnB 13 69. He was aged 16 months relative not recorded residence Adelaide.

Offline Derek E

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 July 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if your still interested.

I’m a South Australian Ewer.
My Father has the old family bible that was used also used to record the births, deaths and marriages of the family.

My Grandfather was the youngest child. Registered as Edward (which was the fourth Edward registered) and was the Edward that was born in 1908. He was supposed to be called Keith and always was, so he changed his name officially when he found out that he was registered as Edward.

His parents... Edward and Emma from Suffolk UK and the son of Edward and Mary.

Derek

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Thanks for finding this thread and reaching out. I had made a page on my blog trying to identify all EWER families that migrated to Australia in the 1800s, and their origins. I last updated it 6 years ago (yikes) but it captures all the families known: https://thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com/2013/11/update-5-on-ewers-in-colonial-nsw.html

Could you look at the Adelaide section? Feel free to suggest edits. If you want to take a photo of the family bible page I'd be happy to add that to the blog post also!

cheers
Matt

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi. Did you search the NLA newspapers through Trove? Because that shows more mentions of Edward Ewer than the ones you've listed, commencing with his arrival on the Lismoyne in 1955 with Emma and Edward Jr.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?l-state=South+Australia&sortby=dateAsc&q=%22edward+ewer%22+text%3Aewer+-%22new+south+wales%22

WTC records show that Edward Ewer was 87 years old when he died in 1911, putting his birth year at 1823-1824. This tallies with his age in shipslist of 30 years in 1855.

Looking at familysearch I'd say the preliminary best bet would be one of two Edward Ewers born in Belchamp St Paul, Essex, England to Edward and Sarah Ewer - one listed in 1823 and one in 1824.