Author Topic: Jane TREASURE/EMERY  (Read 13182 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane TREASURE/EMERY
« on: Saturday 06 March 10 05:13 GMT (UK) »
My ggg grandparents were Jane Treasure (born Somerset UK 1812) and Robert Emery (also UK 1813). Robert was transported to Hobart 1841 for 15 years and died in Ballarat 1876 after his release from jail.   I have learned that Jane married a Joseph Jackson in Adelaide on 14/12/1855 whilst her husband was still in jail.
I am trying to find out:
- when and where did Jane arrive in Australia
- who did she travel with (ie children &/or Jackson)
- when and where did Jane and Joseph die.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TREASURE/EMERY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Not answering your question, but Robert's conditional pardon was approved in August 1850.  This meant that he was a free man, but could not return to England.  Convicts were not kept in jail, but could be confined to the prisoner barracks if they misbehaved, or placed in solitary confinement (as Robert was) for a period of time.  Robert was assigned to the Bridgewater gang north of Hobart, and there is a bit about the gang here  http://www.fleurtys.com.au/about_chas_fleurty.html

Did Jane say she was a widow when she married JACKSON? Jane's brother John also received a conditional pardon and travelled from Launceston to Adelaide in 1850, but I can't see Robert or Jane on the indexes of departures from Tas.

I can't see a "suitable" Jane EMERY/TREASURE/JACKSON on shipping lists - do you know her age and the names of the two children?

Debra

Conduct record - Robert EMERY
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-13,321,100,L,80

Indent - Robert EMERY
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON14-1-9,131,76,S,80 
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON14-1-9,131,77,S,80

Description List - Robert EMERY
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON18-1-29,259,79,S,80

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra
Thank you for the links - things were certainly tough in those days (especially when you consider Robert only stole 20 pound of bacon).
Jane is described as a widow on the marriage record.  Parents names of both parties were not recorded.
Jane was born in 1812 and therefore would have been 43 when she married.  I am only aware of one child (Eliza Elizabeth Emery b:1837) travelling with her to Australia. Eliza became my gg grandmother and died in 1927 at Port Lincoln, South Australia.
Thanks
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on An***try that certainly needs to be proven.

Shows 4 children to them
Matthew Charles b1834 Somerset USA (Sic)
Henry 1835-1839
Eliza Elizabeth 1837-1927
Emma Sarah 1843-1855

Jane's parents
Levi Treasure 1776-1881
Bete Betty (or Elizabeth) Trusler 1779-1877

Robert's parents
Joseph Emery b 1784
Mary Field

Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
In 1841, Jane (25) is living with her children Mathew (7) and Eliza (4), and by 1851 she is a 37 year old "widow" living with Eliza (14), and Emma (7) who is clearly not Robert's child.  That narrows down the arrival years to 1851 - 1855, but still no joy with NSW, Vic, SA, or Tas.

Debra

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie
Actually I have a tree on 'that' site - Goode Family Tree.  (I have Somerset, UK! but rest of info is the same)
Two of the children died quite young, Matthew's history is unknown, leaving only Eliza to come to Australia, as far as I can ascertain. (Emma was born after Jane's husband was imprisoned so who knows who the father was).
Thanks
Bill

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 March 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra
Yes, I agree with 1851-1855 but is still a mystery how she got here or what become of her.
Cheers
Bill

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 March 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

I had no joy with an arrival. There are a couple of interesting things. There appears to be yet another marriage.

PARKER John 45 status not recorded father John PARKER = JACKSON Jane 49 status not recorded father Levi TRASIER 12 July 1865 Ettridges Eating House Port Lincoln Dist Fli 63/14

Possibly this death for Joseph (only one I am spotting prior to this marriage)

JACKSON Joseph died 3 May 1858 Queenstown Dist Ade 5 225. He was aged 33 status relative not recorded.

also possible sisters marriage

BAKER John William Stanley 46 widow father Thomas Stanley BAKER = YOUNG Mary Ann 44 Widow father Levi TRASEUR 4 Dec 1871 St George Church Gawler Dist Bar 89/552

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 March 10 13:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a BISA entry for John Baker, alas not very informative

BAKER John Wm S. residence Pt Gawler religion C/E
married 4 Dec 1871 Gawler SA Mary Ann nee YOUNG