Author Topic: John James Owen--Llanerchymedd  (Read 9314 times)

Offline owensearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John James Owen--Llanerchymedd
« on: Sunday 07 March 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on John James Owen who according to the 1861 cencus was born abt 1815 in Llanerchymedd. He became a Baptist minister as shown on 1841/51/61.cencus' so I assume that he might have been born into the baptist faith.
1841 cencus his wife was Sarah but of course no place of birth,of her I have not been able to find much info,I think she may have died shortly after the birth of their 5th child a son Charles Carey Owen in Castle Donington as she is not on the 1851 cencus with them when they arrived in Derby.
The eldest son John D.Owen was born in Wales,but I dont know where and would assume that they also got married in Wales but dont know.
I have been to the records office in Llangefni but because of both time contraints and him possibly being Baptist I drew a blank.

Any help would be appreciated
Patrick

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John James Owen--Llanerchymedd
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 March 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have Sarah's maiden name from their last child's birth cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 March 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Do you have John James Owen's death/burial details?   As a Baptist minister in all likelihood there would have been an obituary published for him somewhere.   

Could you please post the reference to the 1841 census?

There is an Anglesey marriage index which is kept at Llangefni.  Were you able to access this during your visit?

Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi to you both,
Sorry as yet I have not got any of the family birth certs,This must be my next step but they would have been married before 1836 as the eldest was 5 on 1841 census.

1841 census nos.HO107/594/24  civil parish:Castle Donington, Leicestershire.
1851 census nos:HO107/2142/137 civil parish Derby St Alkumd,Derbyshire
1861 census nos:RG9/26/16  civil parish Hammersmith,Middlesex
I was unable to find him on 1871 census but think he might have married his housekeeper Ellen Bayly as I found a record on BMD index for him in 1867 in Warwickshire marrying .

As you can see it is not very easy to follow somebody that would appear to move around so much, this must be because he needed fresh challenges in his faith.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to look at any of the marriage records,we only looked at baptisms trying to find out his parents names,but as you know there are a lot of John Owen in Llanerchymedd.

Many thanks Patrick

M

Offline triciaf21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 February 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick

I have a John James Owen in my family tree.  He was my great great grandfather and was a Welsh Baptist Minister born in Llanerchymedd.  My great grandmother was Grace Owen who was born in Ealing around 1860.   On Grace's marriage certificate in 1882 she states that her father John James Owen was deceased.    One of the witnesses at the marriage was John David Owen.

I wondered if there could be any connection with your John James Owen?

Regards
Patricia

Offline owensearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 11 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia
I have looked into Grace on Ancestry but was unable to make a connection to our Owen's as couldn't find any born in Ealing area.If you could give me more info. such as mothers name etc,it would help.Although currently we have not got any Grace in our tree it is too big a coincidence to miss.
Regards Patrick

Offline triciaf21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 February 11 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick

I haven't been able to find Grace's birth record so don't know her mother's name,  I've wondered if she had another first name.   The witnesses at her marriage to James Irving were John David Owen and Jane Owen.  After their marriage they lived in Salford.  Your John James Owen had a son called John David, do you know who he married and where they lived?

Regards
Patricia

Offline ajirving

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

I have a document written in Welsh that says John Owen died May 18th 1873 and is buried at the Ebenezer chapel Llangefni.

Best

Andy

Offline Lac231

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick, John James Owen is my great,great,great grandad( Charles Carey Owen is my great,great grandad) I am also stuck when I get to Anglesey. My dad knew a bit about the Anglesey Owens but I don't know where the info is. I visited the chapel on Anglesey where JJ Owens Dad was minister - he used to baptise people in the river on Anglesey and I believe that is where J J was baptised but can't remember where on Anglesey it was! Did you find any more leads that you would be willing to share? I know Charles Carey owned property in Birmingham and was good friends with the Cadbury family! Kind Regards, Louise Owen Collins