Author Topic: Stagsden Parish Records - ODELL surname  (Read 3652 times)

Offline gonzo010475

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stagsden Parish Records - ODELL surname
« on: Sunday 07 March 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me try to go back another couple of generations, or point me in the right direction for finding the info myself?
The furthest I can trace my Odell line back (with proof) is to the marriage of Henry ODELL (b 1793 Stagsden) to Esther DAWSON (b 1791 Stagsden) in Stagsden in 1814.
I am almost certain that Henry's parents are Thomas ODELL (b 1772? Stagsden?) & Mary DAINTY (b 1767 Bromham). However this is only by using the IGI. If anyone has access to the Stagsden records and can confirm this to be correct without any other possibilities or give me any other info on ODELL events in Stagsden I'd be really grateful!
I have other children for Thomas & Mary:
William b1796 & James b1800.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stagsden Parish Records - ODELL surname
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootshat! I don't know if you have access to Ancestry, but there is someone already researching this family on there. They have Henry married to Esther Dawson, but the parents of Henry Odell are Thomas and Mary Bowsteed on theirs. If this is correct then they also go back a couple more generations on the Bowsteed side.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline gonzo010475

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply Paco.
Yes I have a subscription to ancstry and my tree is also on there.

I have seen the Mary BOWSTEED connection but can't prove either that or the Mary DAINTY one.

I have a copy of the banns (at least I think this is what they are!!!) for the marriage of Henry ODELL (of Odell not Stagsden which might infact mean he is a completely different Henry to the one who has parents Mary & Thomas from Stagsden!
Henry is shown as "servant of Thomas White of Stagsden, Parish Clerk".

???

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 10 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve, welcome to RootsChat,

What you saw was not the Banns as they got married by licence. From the marriage licence allegations transcript available at the Bedford library, dated 5 Aug 1814 the entry reads Henry Odell - servant - of Odell - bachelor - to Esther Dawson - of Stagsden - spinster - to marry at Stagsden; which indeed they did on 6 August, as per the extracted entry on the IGI.

To see the marriage entry from the PR I need to visit the Bedford Archives, however it may just expand on or just confirm the above information. It will have the names of two witnesses that hopefully will be be family members.

However there doesn't eem to be any other Henry Odells born at the right time extracted to the IGI apart from this one on 3 Aug 1794 at Stagsden; & no Odells in Odell anyway.

Looking at the Bromham marriage of Thomas Odell to Mary Dainty, this does not have any further details such as Thomas was from Stagden. I noticed a burial at Stagsden on 22/3/1803 but again no other info.

regards John

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Just as expected, the Stagsden marriage entry of 6 Aug 1814 says Henry Odell of Odell to Esther Dawson of Stagsden. Witnesses: John Townley & Thomas White (he appears often - assume parish clerk)

However that only means he was living in Odell at time of his marriage, it does not prove he was born there.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if it helps or hinders, but there is a possibility that Mary Odell remarried after Thomas' death.   At any rate, a widow named Mary Odell married John Glidall (also widowed) at Stagsden on 3 February 1818.

John Glidwell [which is the more usual spelling of his name] and his descendents are the only Glidwells in Stagsden at this time, so I believe that the Mary Glidewell who was buried there in 1836, aged 70, was most likely his second wife.  Her age at death would be consistent with her being Mary Dainty born c1767.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gonzo010475

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks to all who took a look at the records for this. Sadly I'm no further forward with confirming these are the correct parents for Henry and i doubt I will be able to prove either way.

Thanks again for looking and apologies for the length of time in replying!!

Regards

Steve