Author Topic: Caley  (Read 14048 times)

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Caley
« on: Monday 08 March 10 10:22 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather's Mother's Father was Mathew CALEY born on the Isle of Man abt. 1821.
His father I believe was John CALEY. The 1841 census gives the children's names as EDES. but I am led to believe that this was my Great Grandfather Mathew CALEY.

1841 CENSUS ONCHAN ISLE OF MAN
John CALEY 60
Matt EDES 20
Edd EDES 15
Thos EDES 15

Mathew married Elleanor ARCHIBALD and they had 4 children;
Catherine (TONGE)
Eliza (HALLIWELL) my great grandmother
Walter CALEY
Thomas CALEY

I would dearly love to have more information on the whereabouts of the family now. Mathew had twin brothers Edward and Thomas born about 1826. I guess why the name EDES ? Was that the mother's name? also where did the twins go? I cant find them after this census any clues?
Fontaine (Pierre Francois) - Geneve Switzerland
Magnin (Marian or Jeanne) - Geneve Switzerland
Halliwell (James) - Bolton Lancashire. No record after WW1.
King (Edith Lillian) - Simla India

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Caley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
1st rule - never trust an ancestry index - better indices at www.iomfhs.im (follow research link)
2nd rule - always look at original

all names are Caley - John was a cabinet maker in Irish Lane (central Douglas ) - in 1851 he is in workhouse (manx version - house of industry) - journeyman cabinet maker - probably buried Braddan 18560318 age 79 - you might like to see if an MI exists - try posting on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes as Donna a regular there has complete set

In 1851 John born lezayre - family looks like that of John Caley + cath Murrey m Braddan 18070507  with Cath bur Malew 18301226 age 45
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Frances thanx for the rules, I hadn't realised that ancestry was wrong. I have actually posted on that site previously... this was the response;

"The enumerators return for 1841 has something that looks like 'Irish Town' crossed out and Shaws Brow inserted for an area by Big well Street.

John Caley 60 Cabinet Maker
Matt Caley 20
Edward 15
Thomas 15

The last two were interpreted by analising other families."

About Matt Caley;

"IGI gave him the surname Caleu for his marriage in 1843 to Eleanor Archibald."

From Brian Lawson;

"Catherine Jane Caley was bp 22 Oct 1843 at Marown, daughter of Matthew Caley & Eleanor Archibald.

Eleanor Archibald was bp 9 Sep 1821 at Marown, the daughter of Thomas Archibald & Jane Caine, who married 18 Nov 1820 at Marown

1841, Douglas, district 4, page 35, Irish Town
John Caley, cabinet maker, 60
Mathew, apprentice, 20
Edward, apprentice 15
Thomas, 15

1841, Malew, district 5, page 3, Ballahick
Ellen Archibald, 15, female servant

1841, Marown, district 1, page 1, Greg Vine
Thomas Archibald, 52, agricultural labourer
Jane, 40
Elizabeth, 15
Jane, 10
John, 5"

In regard to John's Caley's wife;

"not obvious who she was tho I suspect Cath Murray bur Mal 18301226 age 45 which prob makes her the illeg dau of Sommerville Murray + eleanor crellin"

An addendum to it all;

"fa John was an inmate in House of Industry in 1851 age 73 born Lezayre ? bur Braddan 18560318 age 79 - that gives you a couple of possibilities - s/o john caley + margt brew or Matthias + jane cottier - need wills I suspect"

I guess as I am new to this there are a few questions I hope not too many to answer;

1. What does IGI stand for?
2. What is bp mean when it gives a birth date? Is it Birth place?
3. In the 1841 census in Marown how do you know that Eleanor is the daughter of Thomas and Jane?
4. The same for Cath Murray how do you know she is an illegitimate daughter? Im guessing these people are in the know...I was just a bit concerned about taking it all as gospel. Perhaps that was wrong of me?
5.  I have the Bradden burials from the iomfhs but I couldn't find a John Caley only the one that was 7 months old...and not with those dates. Al the Caley's that were buried in Braddon all 6 of them were only young.
6. Also how would I go about trying to find the twin boys from that 1841 census? would that be another question to the iomfhs site?

Sorry I hope I haven't driven you mad by my questions...I dont understand the genealogy speak sorry. Frances I think it may actually have been you that responded to me in 2008 (Wednesday 8th October) and gave me that last bit of info on John Caley :)
Sue

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
The IGI (International Genealogical Index) is an ambitious project undertaken by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). They have compiled an index of millions of names from parish registers throughout the world, available on microfiche. It has been created from a variety of sources including parish registers.
you can search it yourself here..

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
in the 1881 census from IGI there is the family but the Thomas Caley here wasn't born by the dates until abt 1855 so he is not the Thomas on the 1841 census. However it seems that the 1841 census is right for the rest of the family... ;

Household:

Name    Relation   Marital Status   Gender   Age   Birthplace   Occupation   Disability
 Matthew CALEY     Head     M     Male     60     Isle of Man, England     Patern Maker & Turner (E & M)     
 Ellenior CALEY     Wife     M     Female     58     Isle of Man, England          
 Thomas H. CALEY     Son     U     Male     26     Kearsley, Lancashire, England     Wood Turner     
 John TONGE     Boarder     M     Male     34     Farnworth, Lancashire, England     Railway Engine Driver     
 Catherine J. TONGE     Wife     M     Female     35     Isle of Man, England          
 Ellenior M. TONGE     Daur          Female     10     Little Lever, Lancashire, England          
 Ada J. TONGE     Daur          Female     7     Farnworth, Lancashire, England          
 Catherine TONGE     Daur          Female     6     Farnworth, Lancashire, England          
 John W. TONGE     Son          Male     3     Farnworth, Lancashire, England          
 James H. TONGE     Son          Male     2     Farnworth, Lancashire, England          

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »

1. What does IGI stand for?
2. What is bp mean when it gives a birth date? Is it Birth place?
baptised - no birth dates until IoM civil reg started 1877
3. In the 1841 census in Marown how do you know that Eleanor is the daughter of Thomas and Jane?
from 1841 you probably don't - possibly by ref to 1851 or assumption from a baptism
4. The same for Cath Murray how do you know she is an illegitimate daughter? Im guessing these people are in the know...I was just a bit concerned about taking it all as gospel. Perhaps that was wrong of me?
indicated as such in parish reg - remember unlike the English (and ignore what the mormons say the IoM is not part of England) manx knew illegits by fa's name
5.  I have the Bradden burials from the iomfhs but I couldn't find a John Caley only the one that was 7 months old...and not with those dates. Al the Caley's that were buried in Braddon all 6 of them were only young.
post a query on site I suggested - there are two sets of burial registers for Braddan - have you looked at both the printed book + the additional burials from the 2nd reg on the iomfhs site?
6. Also how would I go about trying to find the twin boys from that 1841 census? would that be another question to the iomfhs site?
how do you know they were twins ? - if the family was John + cath murrey then there is a gap in baptisms - possibly he was working in England ?

Sorry I hope I haven't driven you mad by my questions...I dont understand the genealogy speak sorry. Frances I think it may actually have been you that responded to me in 2008 (Wednesday 8th October) and gave me that last bit of info on John Caley :)
Sue

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Im back... I have a couple of new leads maybe...

A green leaf on John Caley Born 1750 father of my John Caley (possibly), has him married to a Margaret Brew and having 4 children, . Also has him having 3 other children in Lezayre with a no name spouse..... Children were;

John Caley 1788
Patrick Caley  1786
Thomas Caley 1788

Would anyone be able to do a look up and see if there is a mother of these 3? dont want them if they are not mine :)
thanx

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 April 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at http://www.familysearch.org ? (- gives easy access to IGI) - there are also some quite reasonable guides as to how to go about research there - my site http://www.manxnotebook.com might also help
At this period the lezayre baptisms name both mother & father - at least two of the children you mention were born to different + named parents so I suspect you must be confused - in the IGI those records indicated as 'extracted' are generally fairly trustworthy (there are errors but below 1%) - those marked as patron submitted much less so - you will need wills to confirm most links - see manxnotebook for summaries of 10,000 or so + full transcription of many are on http://www.iomfhs.im (follow research link) - you may also find posting a query on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes helps

Offline warwickconway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 May 17 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for some help regarding Ellen Caley, born approximately 1838/1839 at Ramsey, Isle of Man. Her father was named John Caley, a sailor, according to her marriage certificate. She was 28 when she married John Matthewman in Yorkshire in 1866. She died in July 1873 in Yorkshire at the age of 35.

Does anyone have any further information regarding where they fit in to the Caley family? I live in Adelaide, South Australia, so I only have access to online resources.

Many thanks
Warwick