Author Topic: Soldier Belfast 1890's how do i find out more info???  (Read 5173 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier Belfast 1890's how do i find out more info???
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 March 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
There's also a thread for this family on ANTRIM board.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442571.msg3056754.html#msg3056754

Birth registration of youngest child has been found-
John Vincent MONTGOMERY birth July/Sept.1900 Belfast registration district

The family was also found in 1911 census and birthplaces of children found there-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Rosapenna_Street/146777/

Going by the ages of the children in that census is it likely that James Montgomery would have been serviving in Boer War?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 March 10 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Going by the ages of the children in that census is it likely that James Montgomery would have been serviving in Boer War?

Hi mate!
We don't actually know James' age of course, unless I missed it in that other thread. His wife though seems to have been born c.1875. If he was the same age he'd be only 25 in 1900. Even if 10 years older than his wife he'd have been 35 in 1900. Not outside the realms of possibility for the Boer War.  :)
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 March 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
If you click on the link to the 1911 census that I posted you will see the ages of the children listed (18, 17, 14, 12, 10) and if you tick the box 'show all information' their birthplaces are shown.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 March 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
We really need to find when Neil’s casualty enlisted. Regimental number 1898 is quite low, and would suggest the 1880s. But you need a RIR expert to confirm this. Unfortunately you cannot do regiment searches on Findmypast new army records service. Someone may know on the British Medal Forum. You could also try and find men on the Boer War medal roll with similar numbers then try and find their enlistment date on FindMyPast.

You also really need to obtain the birth certificate of Annie. The 1st Battalion of the RIR moved from Fermoy (Co Cork) to Newry in June 1893. But it possible she stayed in Fermoy until Annie was born. You should first look for it in the regimental BMDs on sites such as FindMyPast. They give the regiment in the index (either 83rd or 86th) and you can also order it from the UK GRO online. Not all home births are recorded, so you can then try the Irish GRO service, which requires you to print off the application form and send your credit card details. There is a chance one or other of the birth certificates will have his regimental number.

We have to be concerned with the number of older children born in Belfast. Although that is where the depot was unless he had a particular skill he should have been with one or other of the battalions. Having children in or around the depot could suggest he was transferred to the army reserve after 7 years, to complete his enlistment. And Reservists tended not to record the fact on BMDs. So ordering these certificates may well not be of value. He would have been recalled to the depot in 1899, and it so happens that the 2nd Battalion were in Belfast in 1899, so that battalion would have a high percentage of reservists when it sailed for South Africa.

PS…If you have Marcella’s birth certificate what does his say about her father?

Ken

Offline smd1274

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for helping me  :D

Neil   i know that James was age 20 when he married in 1890 ( in Belfast ) which would mean he was born c1870 but have no idea where
 it also named his father as Robert Montgomery who was deceased and used to be a labourer

Will try and get some peace from my kids to do some more digging at the weekend
many thanks again

Offline smd1274

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Ken all it says on Marcella birth certificate about her father is his name and that he was a soldier  and the same on her marriage certificate

Offline mandyb21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 September 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Please get in touch, as I know loads about James, I am married to his brother's grandson x

Offline smd1274

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 September 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandy.....soooo excited  i have sent you a private message....look forward to hearing from you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 September 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
smd1274 If Mandy has replied to you by private message then well and good, but bear in mind some forums require their members to have made a minimum number of posts (say 3 or 5 for example) before they can use the private message facility.

Good Luck.