Author Topic: william HOWELL Ellis  (Read 3074 times)

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william HOWELL Ellis
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Good luck with the cert's.  I am reasonably confident William's is the right one.

On both Ancestry and freebmd you can look at the original image, and the early one's such as your 1852 are hand written - Ancestry's transcription 'Samuel' is understandable, but in my opinion wrong - should be Howell.  But eh, our Yorkshire ancestors' chose unusual names sometimes and what with old style handwriting, misheard names etc, it's no wonder some folks are difficult to find.

Libby.

p.s. if you need help in how to  look at original images let me know

Offline jensquest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Libby, Ive managed to see the one on ancestry- I never think to look at the BMDs on there but use freeBMD. I need a slapping head with flat of hand smiley to insert now  ;D

I agree that he's  the one I want. Thank you very much.  :)

Jen.
Wardell - Clapham, Surrey                    Wardell - Southampton
Carr - Barnsley, South yorkshire             Oates  - Sheffield
Burgoyne / Peat - Kilburn, Derbyshire    Burgoyne - Barnsley    
Boden - Bridge North, Shropshire           Bentley - Who knows?
Cheeseman - East Peckham, Kent
Day -  Egerton / Sutton Valence, Kent

Offline KatieCl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This William Howell Ellis was my great great grandfather, he was actually born in 1854 St Andrew The Less, Cambridgeshire.
His parents were William Howell born 1823 Diss, Norfolk and his mother Elizabeth Ellis born 1825 St Andrew The Great, Cambridgeshire.
He married Eliza McNichol who was born 1858 Knaresborough, Yorkshire.  She gave birth to Thomas McNichol 21/04/1878 in Barnsley, her job was Linen Weaver Power Loom.
William Howell Ellis married Eliza in Wakefield 1879 one year after Thomas Birth and took him on as stepson. Wakefield is the district office for Knaresborough where Eliza was born.  His job was Mechanic Paper Mill Engine Fitter.
I think they met in the yorkshire area while working.
In 1881 Census he lived 70 Honeywell St, Barnsley with Eliza and children Thomas, Florence, Ada, but he stated he was from Wakefield (Eliza's birth area), this could be a mistake when filling out forms, but seems there is a reason why from then on in the other censuses he dropped the Howell and called himself just Ellis and his children were all given the surname Ellis after their Grandmother.
Was he trying to hide who he was and where he came from or had there been a family fall out?
From 1901 they lived 43 Honeywell Street, Barnsley.
He died at age 69 in 1923 at Beckett Hospital, Barnsley.
All this info has been matched through the children Thomas McNichol, Florence (Flora) Ellis, Ada Ellis,
William (Willie) Ellis, Charles Ellis, and twins Dorothy and Elizabeth.
Unfortunately, Eliza died 1891 age 33 while giving birth to the twins, they died as well.
Hope this makes sense.

Offline tonyfebruary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 20 08:45 BST (UK) »
This post is 10 years old  William Howell Ellis birth was registered in Wakefield in 1852 he was the Son of Charles and Elizabeth Ellis. William did marry Eliza McNichol on the 23rd of August 1879 on his marriage certificate it states his Father was Charles a Shoemaker. Knaresborough is a registration district it as never been part of the Wakefield registration district.
On all the census returns William states Wakefield as his place of birth in 1911 he uses his full name William Howell Ellis I don't think he was trying to hide anything or had a family fall out.
Tony
Chambers Colton
Blackburn Barnsley
Hartley Castleford
Wilson Castleford

Offline KatieCl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 April 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
You are right about the districts. I agree there is a William Howell Ellis born 1852 in Wakefield, that obviously is not my William Howell Ellis, born circa 1854 Cambridgeshire, but is however the person married to this Eliza McNichol.  I have records to prove this through myheritage, which ties up with the addresses lived at, sibling names and children's names, they are spot on, no queries. His father William Howell was born 1823 Diss, Norfolk (now classed as Cambridgeshire) he was a Boot/Shoemaker.
It is believed that our William Howell changed his name to William Howell Ellis when he moved area and married Eliza due to him being already married to someone in Norfolk. He then dropped the Howell in his children's names and just called them Ellis.

Offline tonyfebruary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 20 09:38 BST (UK) »
The William Howell who was born in 1854 in St Andrew the Less, Cambridgeshire he was the Son of William Howell a Shoemaker and Elizabeth Johnson all the children with this couple from the 1861 and 1871 census have been checked on the GRO and all have the Mother's maiden name as Johnson.
William in the 1871 census was working as a Gas Fitters apprentice and his Father William was working as a Bootmaker.
William Howell marries on the 26th of December 1881 to Sarah Smith St Philip Lambeth his occupation was a Gas Fitter, his Fathers name is William a Shoemaker.
He is on the 1881,1891,1901 census he gives his birth as abt 1855 and born Cambridgeshire.

Tony
Chambers Colton
Blackburn Barnsley
Hartley Castleford
Wilson Castleford

Offline jensquest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 May 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the replies, this was a tree I was doing for a friend 10 years ago, it led me a right merry dance.
It was William's c1852 father Charles Rayner Howell Ellis who was the one who changed his name, he had a family in Norfolk where he was known as Charles Rayner Howell, he picked the Ellis up when he did his disappearing act.  His first wife was Martha nee Stevens, on the 1861 census there is a remark about her husband having 'left' them, I can't remember the exact wording.
I think Tony has the correct info, I can remember looking into the Cambridge family and discounting them as they can be followed through the censuses.

We know from William Howell Ellis's marriage certificate to Eliza McNichol that his father was Charles, not William who was the father of the Cambridge William Ellis.

Katie, I'm not sure if you have this burial info about Eliza and the twins-----
Buried together Section H plot 797 Barnsley cemetry:  died during childbirth, two babies aged 10 weeks and 3 months were buried in the grave also. The first one, Elizabeth was buried 15th July 1891 followed two weeks later by Dorothy on the 29th July.  All lived at 70 Honeywell Street Barnsley
Also in the grave - William Howell Ellis aged 70 buried 1923 ( 37 Honeywell Street )and Elizabeth Ellis aged 43, buried 11th December 1909 ( 43 Honeywell Street)

Offline KatieCl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 May 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info, looks like I have got confused somewhere, have you any further information on Charles Raynor Ellis and Martha Stevens because when I search nothing comes up?

Regards

Offline jensquest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie,
we had a scavenger hunt on here to help sort this out, here is the link

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=458145.0

If you need anything else just ask.

I did the research for a colleague of my daughter, I passed all the certificates etc onto him with a copy of the tree and all the research notes. I still have the tree on Ancestry if you need anything else. We need to work out how you are related to each other.

William Howell Ellis, c1852 Wakefield and Eliza McNichol were his 2 xGt Grandparents, their son
William Ellis born 6th April 1883 Barnsley and Mary H Bailey were his GT Grandparents, their son
Joseph Ellis 1915 Mexborough and Joyce Creasey were his Grandparents.