Author Topic: Old John Wynnes Chapel  (Read 2534 times)

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old John Wynnes Chapel
« on: Monday 08 March 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
On a rare, unexpected day off work  :) Ihave spent a cold, but gloriously sunny afternoon visiting Gwaenysgor - the birthplace of my G x2 grandma Margaret Ellis. She was apparently baptised in a non conformist chapel in Trelanwyd, Old John Wynne's. Went to have a look for the chapel and maybe take a photo but was unsure of it's whereabouts. I did find one building which had an inscription on the side mentioning John Wynne which may have been what I was looking for.
Does anyone know the location of this chapel, if it is still in existence, or know if I can see it on an old map of the area?
I've tried the google route for an image but no joy i'm afraid :(
Thanks for any info
Lancs-lassie
Wormwell, Whitaker, Lancashire
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old John Wynnes Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry the expert you need is Tecwyn who I am sure will reply to your request as soon as he gets chance, he is the Trelawnyd expert  ;D

Sarah
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sarah,
I'm sure you are right about Tecwyn - he has already provided me with loads of info about baptisms and stuff. He will probably think I'm nuts trooping around Flintshire with no real method to my searching!! I browsed around the churchyard in Gwaensysgor looking for "Ellis's" (I found plenty, but the ages and names didn't seem to fit the rellies I am aware of at present)
Cheers again,
Clair
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clair,
No, you're not nuts "trooping around" this area. It is, after all, the centre of the universe!

But seriously, I can't recall what it says on the chapel, but if it referred to John Wynne, you must have found the right one. It's now called Ebenezer.

If you started from the main road, near the clock on the village hall, went uphill and turned right beside the hall, the chapel is about 50 yards along on the left. It doesn't stand alone. On the left as you look at it, there's a house attached (Chapel House) whose front door is around the corner, up an alley. On the right of the chapel is a smaller house (possibly with a "for sale" sign in front of it.) This was the Manse, but the Minister hasn't lived there for many years.
The door of the chapel is at its left hand end, and it has railings in front, running its length.

By the way, this chapel was one of the earliest independent chapels in North Wales, established in 1701.

Did you take a photograph? I think I should have one somewhere, but can't remember where.

I trust you enjoyed your day.

Tecwyn. :)
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello there Tecwyn,
You are a fountain of all  Flintshire knowledge, thank you so much for your speedy response. I certainly did enjoy my afternoon in your beautiful neck of the woods, the sun shone brightly and cheered my heart.
I took along my ever suffering OH today, who did in fact take a photo of what you have now confirmed is the chapel I was searching for - hooray!
We enjoyed lunch in the Eagle and Child ( which incidentally was on the same census page as my relative in 1841, so should have been quite close) so we may even have walked in the same steps as my distant family - what an amazing thought.
Thank you again for your help,
Clair
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Clair,

I'm not that clever re Flintshire, I just happen to know Trelawnyd and district well. You see, as you were looking at the chapel, immediately behind you was the garden of the house I was brought up in! I attended the chapel 3 times every Sunday (plus some weekday evenings) until I was 18 years old. On the inside, there's a castellated coving. I must have counted those bricks hundreds of times as a child!!
The chapel's still going (fairly) strong, but I think the congregation's getting on a bit now. The last time I was there was in a "Gymanfa Ganu" to celebrate the 300th aniversary in 2001.

Tecwyn :)
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tecwyn,
How nice to hear about your chapel history. It would seem then that OH and I were walking in YOUR footsteps on Monday afternoon as well!
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent