Author Topic: Curragh Camp detainees 1920s  (Read 42205 times)

Offline pflanagan132

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curragh Camp detainees 1920s
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 June 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am doing some research for an author of an upcoming book, due for publication next year concentrating on the period 1913-1926. She wishes to include a piece on Joseph Whitty of Wexford who died on hunger strike in 1923. He was aged 19 and is buried in Ballymore. In particular, we are interested in Joseph's family, parents, siblings, etc. Where the family lived in 1901 and 1911 is a puzzle. I live near New Ross and would gladly travel to meet anybody who could help. Patrick Flanagan

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 June 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
it was called:

Rath Internment Camp in the Curragh

http://www.museum.ie
type in search box Rath Internment Camp

http://www.esatclear.ie

Offline kkathb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all I am also looking for information on the Curragh Camp Escapees! I know that my Great Grand Uncle Hugh (Hughie) Curran was arrested after an ambush on a lorry in the Curragh in 1921. He was then imprisoned in the Curragh. I also believe that he escaped in Sept 1921 with the group of escapees. Hughie then emmigrated to America. I am having great difficulty finding records of him leaving the country. However in this case I'd love to find something on him regarding his imprisonment and subsequent escape. The article from the Leinster Leader on 17th September 1921 quotes "The majority of the men who escaped are said to be from Dublin, Tullamore, Mayo and Galway district, and it is said that only one of the Kildare men is included amongst the number who escaped, Kildare men been in different huts. I only have family stories at the moment to know that Hughie escaped from the Curragh but if this is true and the Leinster Leader's information is correct this could possibly match up as Hughie Curran. If anyone has come across anything I'd be extremely grateful to hear from you!

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Curragh Camp detainees 1923
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 September 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
I have a small diary of people in Curragh Camp, Hare Camp 1923 in handwritten comments from internees as follow. forgive my interpretation as the print is rather small in in old irish.
Hutch 30 hare Park , Curragh
Sean O'Cogariin, Cathal O'Cein, Ft White,P O'Connor,L.Redmnd,Thmas Hgan,Tadg O'Floigg,Patrick O'Neill,Richard Knowles,Sean de Paor,Andrew Coffey,Jim McDonnell,Thomas Woods,john Colelough,Michael Murphy,Alardaip,de Bailegn,Tmair Ua Beacain,Seamus O'Brian,S.Mac Geapisilt,A.Power, Patrick Sheehan, Tom Brick, Maurice Spillane,Nicheal O'Grinin, Peadar Vinclair,Cinnuikicadon,Sean O'Riagain
There are sketches and poems and I would glaldy send copies............Tony Redmond

Offline jojo5775

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a John G. Walsh detained in the Tintown No. 10 camp, Curragh in 1923.   I have seen a book that has copies  compiled of drawings and poems signed by the detainees.  Does anyone have anything on John Walsh?

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
My uncle was an officer in the Roscommon volunteers and was imprisoned in Tintown A, His name was MICHAEL CULLEN. He was released on 22 February 1923. Does his name appear on the book? I notice you have a D Cullen and you say that the writing is unclear. Is there any chance that it might be him?

Offline Charliecurran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there.i really hope you are still active on this site.i have just joined and i think we have a shared ancestor. Hugh curran was my great uncle and his brother charlie was my grandfather. I understand they were both interned in the curragh camp and both involved in the escape. I just recently got more information regarding this but not sure if it is true but i have no reason to doubt its authenticity. My name is Lena Curran and i am originally from Dublin but now living in australia.would love to hear back from you

Offline Charliecurran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Please please reply we have an ancester in common

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlie,

Welcome to RootsChat :)  agho is still very much active on RootsChat hopefully he will reply to you very soon.  I am sorry but you PM to Jud was returned to us, it looks like his email address has changed but we do not know what the new one is.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk