Author Topic: 1861 and 1871 Lookup-- COMPLETE  (Read 10394 times)

Offline Branching out

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 and 1871 Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk

This is wonderful! I did not have Maria and her family for 1891. In 1892 they came to Canada. They went on to have another 3 children here in Canada for a total of 14 children. We gather every 5 years for a reunion and I'm trying to compile a history of there movement prior to their arrival in Canada. I hope to present this at our next reunion in 2012.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk

This is wonderful! I did not have Maria and her family for 1891. In 1892 they came to Canada. They went on to have another 3 children here in Canada for a total of 14 children. We gather every 5 years for a reunion and I'm trying to compile a history of there movement prior to their arrival in Canada. I hope to present this at our next reunion in 2012.

Thanks for all your help!

Your'e welcome -  Maria and family going to Canada that explains why I couldn't see them on 1901 census!!

Have had another look for William H MATKIN b1858 Winshill on 1871 census but haven't come up with anything yet - maybe surname spelt incorrectly!!! Will let you know if I find him.

I don't think he died as there's a
William MATKIN born Winshill on 1881c & 1891c see below

William MATKIN Head 23 Winshill brewers lab.
Sarah                         23 Burton on Trent
Mary                                  "               "

think William remarries death  for a Sarah MATKIN age 27 Mar q 1884

William MATKIN Head 33 Winshill Gen. Lab.
Emma                         34 Edingale Stafford
Mary                           10 Burton on Trent
Lizzie                            8 Winshill
Fanny                           3
John E                          1

Have a great reunion in 2012!!!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Branching out

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk.
I'm working on another item. I posted a request on the Stafforshire page but maybe you would like a go at this.
 I received a obit from a cousin and they said that this was a person related to us. I'm looking for thoughts on this theory.
Sarah Elizabeth (Pott) Warren born 1898 Burton- died Aug 16, 1925 Brook Farm, Snelston.  She married a Thomas Warren about 1919. Son was Thomas W Warren born about 1921. Here is where it gets misty, Sarah's parents (possibly) were William and Mary Pott, sisters were Rosina and Mary according to the obit. The obit mentions a uncle MR. Eyre so I believe William married a Mary Eyre. On other resourses IGI I can find a marriage for them with Mary's father listed as John but no father for William. After laying in bed it came to me that Sarah Pott sister to my Great grandfather had a child out of wedlock and his name was william. I found him in the 1881 census living in Alwrewas with his Uncle and Aunt  Francis & Ann Pott who was Sarah's other brother. I just have not been able to connect the 2 Williams together for sure. What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Rodney

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I received a obit from a cousin and they said that this was a person related to us. I'm looking for thoughts on this theory.

Sarah Elizabeth (Pott) Warren born 1898 Burton- died Aug 16, 1925 Brook Farm, Snelston married
Thomas Warren about 1919.
Son Thomas W Warren born about 1921.

Here is where it gets misty, Sarah's parents (possibly) were William and Mary Pott, sisters were Rosina and Mary according to the obit.

Rodney

Hello Rodney,

1901 RG13/2646/131/36
114 Tutbury Road, Horninglow, Staffs Reg. dis Burton on Trent

William H POTTS Head 25 Winshill brewer's lab.
Mary                   wife  26 Kniveton
Sarah E               dau    2 Tutbury

there are two birth entries for

Sarah  Elizabeth POTT
Dec q 1898 Burton on Trent
vol 5b & vol 6b both page 374

birth entry for

Rosina POTT
Sep q 1901 Burton on Trent
vol 6b page 458

I would suggest to start with if you are sure that you know Sarah's birth date to be  correct (1898) it may be a good idea to order this first at least this would give you both names of her parents, where as if you ordered the marriage certificate you would only get the father's names.

marriage entry for

Sarah E POTT
Thomas WARREN
Jun q 1919 Ashbourne vol 7b page 1923 

birth entry for mother's maiden name POTT
Thomas W WARREN
Mar Q 1921 Ashbourne vol 7b page 1321

The obit mentions a uncle MR. Eyre so I believe William married a Mary Eyre.

I can find a marriage for them with Mary's father listed as John
Rodney

marriage

Mar Q 1898 Ashbourne 7b 838a
William Henry POTT
Mary EYRE

1881c RG11/3423/124/2
Toll Gate House, Kniverton

John Eyre 40 shoemaker birmingham, warwick
Elizabeth  35 Brassington, Derby
Thomas    12 Kniverton
Sarah         9
MARY          6 Kniverton
John           3
William        5mths 

1891 RG12/2753/105/4 Head George Wigley
Mary EYRE Servant age 16 bn Kniveton

After laying in bed it came to me that Sarah Pott sister to my Great grandfather had a child out of wedlock and his name was William.

I found him in the 1881 census living in Alwrewas with his Uncle and Aunt  Francis & Ann Pott who was Sarah's other brother.

I just have not been able to connect the 2 Williams together for sure. What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Rodney

I'm afraid I'm a little confused re William POTT born out of wedlock on 1881 census with his Uncle Francis brother of Sarah (do you have the reference number 1881c?).
I'm guessing that this is another Sarah POTT? As the Sarah Elizabeth POTT you mentioned above was not born until 1898. 

So are you trying to connect the William H POTT married to Mary and the William POTT living with Francis & Ann POTT?

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I William Pott in the 1881 census living in Alwrewas with his Uncle and Aunt  Francis & Ann Pott who was Sarah's other brother.

I just have not been able to connect the 2 Williams together for sure. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Rodney

Hello again Rodney,

I found the
1881 census RG11/2777/27/5
Francis POTT                  age 28 Wednesbury Brewer's lab.
Ann                                       29 Coton in Elms
WILLIAM POTT nephew          5 Winshill
Caroline HANDS neice             4
William FLETCHER father in law 51
Hannah     "         mother in law 65

1871 RG10/2917/57/15
Churchyard Farm
Francis POTT 18 Servant (REEVE family)

1871 RG10/2917/72/15
Green Lane
John POTT 42 Yoxall Farmer
Mary          63 Tatenhill
John           13 Stapenhill
SARAH        12 Hamstall Ridware
looks as if father John has remarried 

hope I've got this right

Francis & Sarah POTT brother & sister together with their parents - is this the Sarah that had William POTT b1876 out of wedlock and married George MATKIN Dec. q 1879 Burton on Trent 6b 533?

1861 RG9/1976/74/14
John POTT 34 Yoxall Carter
Sarah        35 Charrington
FRANCIS      8 Wednesbury
Thomas       6    "
Mary            5 Yoxall
John            3 Stapend
SARAH         2 Hamstall Ridware

There are two separate birth entries in HAYFIELD

POTT
William Henry
Dec q 1875 7b 749

and

POTT
William
Jun Q 1876 7b 826

one of these entries must be the son of Sarah POTT  living with his Uncle Francis but which one  :-\ the only way to be sure is to order a birth certificate

1881 RG11/3462/13/19 & page 20
South Drive, Hayfield
John POTT 26 Print Wks Lab.
Hannah     26
WILLIAM     5 Hayfield
Lois             3
Wilfrid          1
William MELLOR father in law 70 Disley, Cheshire widow

1891 RG12/2786/10/13
names as above plus 10 years on ages & no father in law William Mellor

Hope this may be of some help  :)

Offline Branching out

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk

I'm sorry for the confusion, too many Sarah's and Williams in this family.

Yes, I am trying to establish that the William H Pott - 1876 who married Mary Eyre is the same as the William Pott Living with Francis Pott and Ann Pott in 1881.
I'm not sure how to reference them but I believe its Public records office reference RG11, folio 2777/27, page 5 living at Mill End , Alrewas, Stafford.

The William 1876 that is referenced is the son of a Sarah Pott born April 30, 1859 in Hamstall and was born in Winshill, Sarah was not married at the time according to family members. (unknown father)

Sarah Pott-1959 went on to marry (m-1879) George Matkin b-1856 from Winshill, Derby. She is also the sister to Francis Pott referenced above (she is also  sister to Thomas and Maria Pott).

So the Sarah Elizabeth Pott- 1898 could possibly be the granddaughter of Sarah Pott- 1859.

Sarah-1859, William-1876, Sarah E- 1898.

On a side note the John Eyre family checks out perfect with the people in the obit. I checked out some of the daughters in 1911 and the people that they married match the names in the obit.

I just received a alert that you had just posted further info and it looks like you've got it nailed down.

I see I have a little further to go with the William's my gut feeling is its the William 1876 and not the William Henry 1875. Is there any way of checking this out with out purchasing both certificates? I will if I have to either to solve this or start all over in trying to connect the 2 families.

The other question I might have is if there was no father would they leave the space blank on a marriage certificate. It would not help me to order a marriage certificate at this point to see if his father was a John.

We are so close to closing the loop on this!!

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 March 10 09:08 GMT (UK) »

The William 1876 that is referenced is the son of a Sarah Pott born April 30, 1859 in Hamstall and was born in Winshill, Sarah was not married at the time according to family members. (unknown father)

I see I have a little further to go with the William's my gut feeling is its the William 1876 and not the William Henry 1875.

Is there any way of checking this out with out purchasing both certificates? I will if I have to either to solve this or start all over in trying to connect the 2 families.

The other question I might have is if there was no father would they leave the space blank on a marriage certificate.

It would not help me to order a marriage certificate at this point to see if his father was a John.

We are so close to closing the loop on this!!

I thought the same as you that William POTT b1876 was probably the son of Sarah POTT. It's a shame they didn't add William's middle name Henry on the 1881c with parents John & Hannah POTTS!!

Perhaps you could try a separate post to see if anyone has access to the parish records for that area. 

From personal experience I had a member of the family that was born out of wedlock in 1867, ordered the birth certificate - no father mentioned. Then ordered the marriage certificate no father entered here either just a series of dots.....

Offline Branching out

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 March 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ladyhawk

Again thank you for all your kind and generosity. You have spent many hours looking information up and it has been very helpful.  I'm going to attempt to get the birth certificates and see if I can make a 100 % connection. At this point I'm suggesting that the 1876 William is the same based on the fact he was with my Great grandfathers brother and why would some one from my family keep a Obituary for 80+ years for someone in England. I may try a separate post to see if someone has the parish record access.
Again thanks for your help.

Rodney

Offline Branching out

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 and 1871 Lookup-- COMPLETE
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk

Thank you again for all your help before. I thought I'd keep you up to date with what I find, I've sent away for a couple certificates but it just so happens that I was looking at a marriage certificate for a son of my great grandfather and noticed that a Willian Henry Pott from the exact same location had witnessed their marriage. So that would tell me that they are cousins possibly. I'm 99.5% sure we have the right William Henry Pott 1876 but hopefully his birth entry will verify the other .5%.

Thanks Again
Rodney