Author Topic: Hevican - Roscommon  (Read 10759 times)

Offline Denny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hevican - Roscommon
« on: Monday 21 March 05 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Am looking for anything relating to Hevican in Roscommon.  Thomas born 1838, Kilbride, married Mary Conroy,  went to Portsmouth and joined the army, but other siblings are Michael, Patrick and Mary.  Parents were Peter Hevican and Mary McDermott.

Any help gratefully accepted
Denise

Offline LindseyAL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hevican - Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Am looking for anything relating to Hevican in Roscommon.  Thomas born 1838, Kilbride, married Mary Conroy,  went to Portsmouth and joined the army, but other siblings are Michael, Patrick and Mary.  Parents were Peter Hevican and Mary McDermott.

Denise

Hello

My maternal grandfather was William Hevicon. His father was also William and his father may have been a Thomas Hevican from Roscommon. The ages don't quite tie up, so I'm not 100% sure and it may be that my Thomas is unrelated to yours. However, he was Thomas and was definitely from Ireland with the same name. Thomas may have been living in Burnley at the time of the 1871 census aged 23. His entry says that he came from Ireland. His first son, also Thomas seems to have died as an infant as he was not recorded in the census, even though he is recorded as being born in 1868. His second son Peter was born in Burnley with his birth registered in June 1871 as Peter Hevican. Thomas was recorded as a cotton spinner. They all then moved to Manchester.

There's more but I'm trying to tie down the Irish connection. Incidently, my Thomas Hevican (recorded as Thomam) is cited as having parents called Petri Hevican and Mariae McDermott. Coincidence?

LindseyAL

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Denise and Lindsey,

What denomination were your Hevican ancestors ? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline BostonMary

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 January 09 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Denny
I found a Peter Hevican (Herican) that was a godfather to
my grgrgrfather's sister Bridid Feeney.  The baptism
was October 1837 in the Kilbride Parish in Roscommon.
The godmother was Mary McDermott.  There was no
"address" on the parish register so I don't know the
townland.  Brigid's parents were Denis Feeney and
Mary Hoban.

If you have any info on the Feeney's, I love to hear from you.

Mary

Offline Josee

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking everywhere!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 January 09 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denny
Just put HEVICAN in the search box on this website   
http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/index.php
and it showed quite a few hits for HEVICAN with many spelling varieties. May help in your search, the births are all in Roscommon.
Cheers
Jo  8) Trying to stay cool in Queensland

PS Forgot to say you do need to register, but it's free to search and hasslefree ;D
Barrow, Fletcher, Clayton, Booth, Elderton, Allen & Warnock, Nanfan, :all Manchester, Taylor in NZ
Finlayson/Hargreaves/Barrow in Canada.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 January 09 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Mary.

Denny hasn't been online since July 2007 so you might not get a response but you can try the site Jo posted if you haven't done so already.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Josee

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking everywhere!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 January 09 12:12 GMT (UK) »
ooops :-[ :-[
Just dived in didn't read the DATE!!!
Jo :-[ :-[
Barrow, Fletcher, Clayton, Booth, Elderton, Allen & Warnock, Nanfan, :all Manchester, Taylor in NZ
Finlayson/Hargreaves/Barrow in Canada.

Offline Linda Hevican

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Denise

Offline Linda Hevican

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 January 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am the grand-daughter of John Hevican born in Roscommon and the daughter of Patrick Hevican who was one of a family of 17 who lived in England. John and Mary Hevican left Ireland to seek work and eventually settled in the Midlands. If you need any other info please let me know.
Regards
Linda Hevican