Author Topic: Clutton - Wesleyan Chapel  (Read 9648 times)

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
Clutton - Wesleyan Chapel
« on: Wednesday 10 March 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I have recently found out that one of my ancestors and her siblings were baptised in Clutton, Somerset, as Wesleyans on the Midsomer Norton Circuit. 

Does anyone know if there was actually a Wesleyan Chapel there at that time and if not where they might have been baptised? 

I have read that there was one built there in 1868 but cannot find anything prior to that.

Thanks,

Elin :)
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwipom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Clutton - Wesleyan Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 10 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elin

You don't offer any names but you may like to try this web page

www.highlittletonhistory.org.uk/.../HLWesleyanBaptisms1841to1955&Indx.pdf -

Not exactly Paulton but certainly based on the Clutton District

Tony E
Evans,  (Marylebone).
Algate,   (Wembury, Plymouth Devon)
Chammings, (Jacobstowe, Hatherleigh, Iddesleigh)
Chummings.  (Jacobstowe, Devon)
Taylor,  (Minterne, Dorset)
Taylor, Ozanne, le Huray.  (Guernsey).
Dunn,    ( North Grimston, Rillington).
Pickering, Forth,  (Crowland, Spalding).
Forth, (Welney, Norfolk)
Roberts.  (Ampthill).
Hippisley,Fry, Dagger.  (Bath,Somerset).
Dyer, White.  (Pontardawe. Bath.)
Rivis, (East Yorks.)
Daly, (Culmullin, Co. Meath)

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 March 10 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony E,

Thanks very much for your reply and the link, I can't make that work.

I actually found copies of the original baptism registers on line, what it doesn't tell you is where they physically took place.  Just on the Midsomer Norton Circuit in Clutton.

The people in question are , Jabez, Ann, Charlotte, Eliza, James and John Hellier born between 1817 and 1824.  There are three other siblings who were baptised iat St Augustines C. of E.
I'm also looking for information on their parents Parfitt and Judith.

Many thanks,

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwipom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 10 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, if you just go to the first part

http://www.highlittletonhistory.org.uk

and then chose 'Registers' from the menu on the left of the page
then scroll down to

HLWesleyan Baptisms1841 to 1955 & Index.pdf

it should download for you, but it gives no HILLIER Baptisms

I can say that the first Methodist Chapel in Midsomer Norton was built in 1775 following John Wesleys visit in 1767. It was rebuilt in 1859.

Tony E
Evans,  (Marylebone).
Algate,   (Wembury, Plymouth Devon)
Chammings, (Jacobstowe, Hatherleigh, Iddesleigh)
Chummings.  (Jacobstowe, Devon)
Taylor,  (Minterne, Dorset)
Taylor, Ozanne, le Huray.  (Guernsey).
Dunn,    ( North Grimston, Rillington).
Pickering, Forth,  (Crowland, Spalding).
Forth, (Welney, Norfolk)
Roberts.  (Ampthill).
Hippisley,Fry, Dagger.  (Bath,Somerset).
Dyer, White.  (Pontardawe. Bath.)
Rivis, (East Yorks.)
Daly, (Culmullin, Co. Meath)

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Tony E,  I am grateful for your help.  I wasn't aware that John Wesley had
visited Midsomer Norton, It will be interesting to look into that.

Elin :)

Offline GCF-Aus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
I came to your post by way of a google search. While I am not able to assist with your immediate inquiry, I am interested to note that your interests seems to overlap some of mine -specifically -Foxwell - Wotton and South Wales. I would be interested in some knowledge of 'ow we get from Wotton to Wales'. Thank you.
Foxwell (Wotton-Under-Edge, Wales, New Jersey, Manchester, Perth, Melbourne); Briddon (Parwich, Rocester, Manchester, Burma, Bath); Cameron (Argylshire, Branxholme, Coleraine, Melbourne)

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 June 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi GCF-Aus,

Welcome to RootsChat!!

My 2nd x Gt Grandfather was Joseph Richard Foxwell born 1859.  His father was also Joseph Foxwell and he was born in 1835. There were several Joseph Foxwells before him. My Joseph Richard Foxwell, his parents and his brother Henry Joseph all moved to Bridgend, Glamorgan some time between 1871 and 1881, presumably in search of work.

They moved on from there to Monmouthshire and many of the family later ended up in Coventry.  There are other Foxwells' from Wotton under Edge that I haven't yet made a connection with. 

Do let me know if this seems to be your family and we can compare notes.

Best wishes,

Elin

Offline snowbound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
James  Hellier married Sarah Parfitt Oct 8 1787 in St James Church Camely( now redundant  )    All their children - Parfitt1788,George1790,Joseph1792,James Parfitt 1794,Sarah1796 (buried1797),Charlotte1798,John1800,Sarah1801,Eliza1805, were baptised in St Augustine's Clutton.      George who died in 1801 was buried in this church.             Parfitt married Judith Wilkins baptised 18.4.1792 St Augustine's.They had 12 children--Hester,George,Joseph,Charlotte(died young)Jabez and Charlotte (twins),Anne,Eliza and Jame (twins),John.Jane, Sarah.               Joseph,born9.4.1815, married Mary Traavisjuly 71839 in St James, Bath.  Both were then living in Ambury.+    All their children, except Sarah and Annewho were baptised in St, James Cameley, were baptisedf in St Augustine's.         Joseph was my Great grandfather- I'm now a Great granddad myself !     Hope this lot may be of interest.                                                                       
                                   snowbound

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Snowbound!

Welcome to RootsChat!

That is really exciting information!! :D  I have been trying to find out who Parfitt's parents were for quite a while and getting nowhere, nor had I found his baptism.

Parfitt and Judith's daughter Anne was my 2 x Gt grandmother.  I wasn't aware that Jabez and Charlotte and Eliza and James were twins.  I did find the marriage between James Hellier and Sarah Parfitt but hadn't been able to make the definite link with my Parfitt Hellier.

Thank you very much for letting me have this info, I would be interested in hearing more from you and sharing any info that I have which may be of use to you.

Best wishes,

Elin