Author Topic: Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?  (Read 18234 times)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you try looking at a trade directory of about that period, I found Pigotts online for free but the one i wanted to look at was the 1830's I have just double checked and the inn didn't exist under that name in 1830, unfortunately i cant remember the site i got it from because i just saved the pages i thought would be of use.

Sarah

Tecwyn, it is the thought that counts, at least you tried to find it on the map
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 March 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Tecwyn. You've been very helpful - it's much appreciated. I'm happy now that I know roughly where it was so please don't trouble yourself any mote. Thanka again.

Hiraeth. Thanks for the Google Street info.

Sarah. The photo was great. I thought your Nain was 90 - so born around 1920? Dad's siblings all born in Hen Dafarn (the thatched pub opp the ship) were Gordon (b.1910). Edie (b.1912) and Victor (b.1921). My Dad (b.1914) was referred to as Willie at that time and he used to go to the chapel that must have been next to your Nain's.
Huntington (Wirral), Willmott (London & Flintshire), Barnett (London & Flintshire)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 March 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
My Nain used to go to the chapel with one of her friends Beatrice who lived nextdoor or next door but one, my Nain had lots of aunts and uncles ranging in birth years from about 1886 to 1903. My Nain was an illegitimate child so was part brought up her grandparents who lived in Glan y Morfa and part by her mother who went on to marry someone else and live in Greenfield. I will ask her if she remembers your dad's family, she was poorly last night so haven't asked her today. She has a painting of the pub hanging up in her house, it is older than me but I don't know how old, I can take a picture of it if you would like to see?

Sarah
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 March 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Sarah. I'd love to see a photo of your Nain's painting. I hope she's feeling better tomorrow.

Phil.
Huntington (Wirral), Willmott (London & Flintshire), Barnett (London & Flintshire)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 March 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I went to see my Nain (she is much better thank you) and just as I was about to take the picture my battery died  ::) so I will charge it up and take it tomorrow. Did a member of your fathers family drown?

Sarah
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 March 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes. My Taid - on the Cob.

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 March 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry to hear that, I wasn't expecting that to be true, all Nain said was one of them drowned, I thought she was talking about one of your fathers siblings that you may or may not have heard of. Well least I know she has remembered the correct family. I have to say it is nice to 'meet' another Llanerch-y-mor decendent  ;D

Sarah
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 March 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Nice to meet you too. I'm impressed with your Nain's memory - it was a long time ago, long before I was born, and thankfully all my memories of Hen Dafarn are very happy ones. I also used to get free crisps and pop from my auntie  ;D not to mention the fresh shrimp butties  ;D ;D

Phil.

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 March 10 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Perks of knowing the owner!  ;) My Nain says that she used to sometimes wait with her brother outside the pub for her step father to finish work as he would get a beer in the pub and he would let them both have some, which made her mother very cross! I wonder if your family knew!

Sarah
Ireland Mccaffery