Author Topic: Newhills Cemetery photo request, I have location  (Read 5739 times)

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newhills Cemetery photo request, I have location
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 June 10 18:08 BST (UK) »
Lochnagar

When I took the photos for KT I just sent her a PM asking for her address and then e-mailed them to her. I would be inclined to wait a few days and see if she replies to your PM, she may just be busy but I am sure she will reply to you soon

Norma

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 June 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Higgsy, I got a reply from KT a wee while ago and have sent her the photos, thanks for the help though.  I see some of the  requests from folk needing old photos cleaned up, it's a great site I'm only just getting into it.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Lochnagar

Offline PGOliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret (Evans) Cozens-Hardy
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 May 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
I am researching a collection of shells donated to Aberdeen University by Mrs Cozens-Hardy in 1959. The collection is said to be made around 1880 by Margaret's (nee Evans) mother Constance Dove Salt. Can anyone help with the family history here? Was this Constance Dove Salt the grand daughter of Sir Titus Salt 1st Baronet? and did she marry Rev Arthur Evans? Does anyone know about the interest in shells that Constance Dove Salt had.

In anticipation

Graham

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Have a look at

http://www.thepeerage.com/p57088.htm#i570876

Scroll down a couple of names.

Re the "Shell collection" I had a lok at the university collection on the web. She seemed to have been an avid collector on the British foreshore.

http://calms.abdn.ac.uk/Geology/dserve.exe

Malky

Offline PGOliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky, I have seen the entries from thepeerage.com. I am trying to confirm that Margaret Evans who married Sydney Cozens-Hardy is indeed the daughter of Constance Dove Salt and Arthur Evans. Peerage.com mentions a daughter Constance Dove Evans who married Gerald Halsey in 1920 but there is no mention of Margaret. I am hoping someone can fill in gap.

Graham

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Margaret Evans, born Dec 1891, Great Maplestead, Essex, England to Arthur Ftizgerald Evans and Constance Dove Salt, sister to John F Evans (B 1890) and Constance D Evans.(B 1889)

Malky

Offline PGOliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky, I found a similar record this morning on MyHeritage, but that said that Margaret died in 1949. Perhaps they had a child who died in 1949? How do you go about getting such entries altered?

I am fairly certain now of the family lineage. There seems to be no connection between Constance Dove Salt and Aberdeen and the collection ended up there simply because Margaret was living there and felt it needed a home.

How or why Constance became interested in shell collecting remains a mystery for now, it was certainly a respectable hobby for Victorian ladies.

Graham

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
My personal feeling on this mystery, would be to pay for the marriage and death certs to prove who the parents were. I have never looked at an English cert, so I do not know what it/they would contain re parent wise.

Malky