Author Topic: Where Do I Go Now?  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Bill. S

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Where Do I Go Now?
« on: Saturday 15 May 04 03:26 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please in suggesting what I should do now?  I am trying to trace the marriage of and the deaths of Thomas Aspinall born about 1822 in L'pool and his wife Margaret Lindsey born about 1816 in Belfast.  The first trace I have of them is in the 1841 L'pool census together with children Elizabeth and Margaret.  I have searched 1837 online without success.

I have Elizabeth's marriage entry in 1868.  Her mother is shown as a witness.  Her father is described as a soldier.  The marriage took place in the Parish of St. Simons and Thomas Aspinall is shown as residing in the parish.  That is the last trace That I have of Thomas or his wife.  They do not appear in the 1881 census.
aspinall
stafford
henry

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Where Do I Go Now?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 May 04 16:08 BST (UK) »
Are you able to trace any of their children in the parish records of the church in which they married?

Other Q: How do you know it was the mother that was the witness, and not for example the eldest daughter of the family who quite commonly takes the mother's name?

Is the address more specific that just "of this parish"?. If it were, the you could try asking for 1861/1871 lookups.

If you believe the family to be in Liverpool 1851, ask for a census index lookup.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 04 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi!
Looked in the IGI: Thomas Aspinall christened 1822 in Liverpool, son of Thomas and Elizabeth; there are a couple of Thomas 'Aspinwell's born in Liverpool around the same time, but of course the IGI isn't reliable in it's entirity & folks weren't always christened in the same year as they were born (although the majority of Christian parents in the period tended to do so soon after birth). Check for yourself:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Did you happen to check the 1881 for the 'wife' living by herself, or vis-a-vis?

:)
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Bill. S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 04 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,  thank you for your response.  I had previously looked for Thomas Aspinall in the IGI but had somehow missed him.  I have him now.  Yes, I have looked for both parties as individuals in the 1881 and 1901 censuses.  I will be in the UK (I live in NZ) later this year so may have an opportunity to get to Liverpool to do some on the ground searching.  Again thanks.
aspinall
stafford
henry

Offline Bill. S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 04 22:47 BST (UK) »
Pauline thanks.  I live in NZ so haven't been able to make any parish search.  I may be able to do when I visit the UK later this year.  A good question about the witness.  I don't know if it was the mother.  I do know that Elizabeth's father did not want his daughter to marry an Irishman and he supposedly turned her out of the house.  She was also pregnant before marriage.  The address is just this parish.  I have the 1851 census informatin with a list of the streets covered so I should be able to pinpoint the area in which the family lived.
aspinall
stafford
henry