Author Topic: Help with 19th Century addresses in Walker, Willington  (Read 7374 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 19th Century addresses in Walker, Willington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 May 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
I've just read this thread with interest. I also have many Irish Catholic in my family who lived in that area. Nearly all the homes in my research of that area have gone, including houses my Grandparents and parent remember.

I found oldmaps very useful.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 December 19 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I may be a few years late on this post, but looking at your street names, my family have also lived in most of these streets!

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 February 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
#2 - 57 Victoria St, Walker, 1891
There doesn't appear to be a Victoria St in or near Walker. There's a Victoria Rd running through Hebburn on the  other (south) side of the Tyne. Was Victoria St demolished, and if so, where was it?
In the interest of information for anyone else finding this thread through Google, Victoria Street ceased to exist in 1907 when it was simply renamed White Street. I noticed in the electoral rolls for Walker Central ward that a lot of people who were stated to be living at Victoria Street on the 1906 rolls, were suddenly living at the same numbered house at White Street on the 1907 rolls. A look at pre 1907 OS maps confirmed it. Victoria Street is marked as the same long road as White Street is on later maps.

My great-grandparents, also Irish Catholics, lived at five different houses on Victoria/White Street over the years :)
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline BRI54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Lombard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Thompson branch of my family. My great great grandmother born1815 and lived in Bewicke Row, Willington and her younger sister was born in Howden Pans !  Looking to establish, if possible, location of street. I appreciate there is also a Bewicke Road in present day Willington. Any help would be appreciated .

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
#2 - 57 Victoria St, Walker, 1891
There doesn't appear to be a Victoria St in or near Walker. There's a Victoria Rd running through Hebburn on the  other (south) side of the Tyne. Was Victoria St demolished, and if so, where was it?
In the interest of information for anyone else finding this thread through Google, Victoria Street ceased to exist in 1907 when it was simply renamed White Street

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=54.97578&lon=-1.53734&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I may be a few years late on this post, but looking at your street names, my family have also lived in most of these streets!

Hi. You might be better off starting a new thread for you question.