Author Topic: Immigration from England to New South Wales - SARGENT  (Read 3530 times)

Offline witchetty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from England to New South Wales - SARGENT
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
So, I know this is eight years later ... but I only figured this out myself in the last few months.

William was indeed the son of Mary Ann CLATWORTHY and William SARGENT.

William Henry arrived as purser on SS Columbian, a steamer belonging to the Royal Mail Company, in 1859 (see Trove newspapers).

He promptly set up business in Sydney, trading near Circular Quay (see Trove). He had married the daughter of a ship's captain in 1853 in England, and after she died in 1869 he remarried, to Mary Ann PARSONS, also daughter of a ship's captain.

His father William was a blacksmith, and Mary Ann was his second wife. His first wife was Mary WICKETT, and one of their sons was Samuel SARGENT, who was transported to Tasmania in 1833.

It's been fun researching this family.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from England to New South Wales - SARGENT
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I was surprised to receive the rootschat email that there was an addition to your thread.

Thanks for the update - It's really pleasing to see the progress you've made with these ancestors.

I'm from the north of England and southern surnames seem so strange to me that I just had to look up the origins of "Clatworthy". Apparently Clatworthy was originally an iron age enclosure in the County of Somerset, meaning "enclosure where burdock grows".

Anyone researching the origins of the surname "Wickett" may even find their line going back to families of note on mainland Europe prior to 1066.

Regards, Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke