Author Topic: Trinity College Alumini lookup request John Robertson b about 1770 -COMPLETED  (Read 5147 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 Would it be possible for someone to look up if John Robinson b about 1770 qualified as a MD at Trinity College Dublin in the period 1790 to 1800. At the marriage of his son Robert Robinson, in Leeds in 1838 his father is listed as John Robinson, surgeon.
       Family folklore has it that they are connected to the Robinson family in Ireland and John could possibly be a son of Robert Robinson who graduated as a MD at Trinity College. Robert Robinson's father Bryan Robinson also graduated as a MD at Trinity College so there is a long link to the College.
       Any information regarding John Robinson, surgeon would be helpful 
 Wyanga 
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trinity College Alumini lookup request John Robertson b about 1770
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
 I have been able to access the Alumini for Dublin University and the John Robinson that I was seeking was not present.
  This post can be marked as completed. Unless anyone can suggest any other places that he may have graduated as a surgeon in Ireland ?
     Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trinity College Alumini lookup request John Robertson b about 1770 -COMPLETED
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Royal College of Surgeons?

Some of mine were Surgeons, qualified Belfast...

TRACING MEDICAL ANCESTORS including RCSI alumni This service is provided by appointment only at the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI)
6 Kildare St
Dublin 2

For details, fees, commissioning searches etc please see website:

http://www.rcpi.ie

For appointment contact

Mr Robert W Mills, Librarian,
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trinity College Alumini lookup request John Robertson b about 1770 -COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark
         Thank you Dave for the link, as yet I havn't found the bit about searches and fees.
  Biggest problem is that I am in Aus. Can I request a search ?
 Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark
             I have found the references to genealogical research under Libary but the read link on policy does not seem to be active. The references to Alumini members would surely be helpful in trying to find my John Robertson, surgeon. He most likely graduated in the period 1790- 1800.
     Thank you Dave for your help and I will note the link and try to follow up on it.
  Wyanga

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 March 10 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Try Robert Mills at this e-mail address: robertmills[at]numbersix.ie
He can look up for you if you give him your details his is from the Royal College of Physicans.

Also you can try England at the below website.

http://munksroll.rcplondon.ac.uk/Biography/Search

For the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland you can e-mail the below address and they will do a search for you.
jbyrne[at]rcsi.ie

For Trinity you can use this e-mail mscripts[at]tcd.ie

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @
Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 March 10 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Ambryne1
                 Thank you for providing me with those email addresses and the link to Munks roll.
        I will check them out and hopefully I may be able to find somthing out about John Robinson.
    Wyanga

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 March 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Here is something i found
Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
ambyrne1
  You are really workimg on this for me!
 From what I have been able to find, Bryan Robinson graduated at Trinity College in medicine, also, he had a son Robert who also graduated at Trinity college in medicine. There is no doubt that the Robinson family in Dublin were academics. Bryan Robinsn's son Christopher, at this stage does not feature in the academia records, but Christopher' s son Christopher was also a graduate of Trinity college, and was the Rev Christopher Robinson who was the father of Admiral Hercules Robinson, who in turn was the father of William Cleaver Robinson.
         Admiral (Sir) Hercules Robinson served as governor of New South Wales in Australia for a period and his son ( Sir) William Cleaver Robinson served as Governor in Western Australia for three terms and subsequently as Governor of South Australia for a period.
         My problem is that the Robinson family folklore by the descendents of Robert Robinson, son of John Robinson, surgeon, link themselves to these Governors in Australia, as relatives.
         I am trying to establish how that connection may have occurred, and I believe that I may have to go back to the Bryan Robinson that you are quoting to be able to quantify ( for the want of a better word) that connection.
  I have  sent an email to jbyrne@ rsci.ie requesting  a check to see if John Robinson graduated as a surgeon in Ireland , and hopefully to establish who his father was.
 By the email address this may be a relative of yours and I hope that they are as helpful as you have been.
Wyanga