Author Topic: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere  (Read 39924 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 April 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Agnetta,
             Yes, I can find a William John Moore who married Mary Anne Gibson in Dungiven Presbyterian Church on 3 Mar 1910. My sources only give children up to about 1885.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 04:14 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell - I didn't know he was WILLIAM John.Thanks for that. Agnetta

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
 Just caught up with this thread.

Some time ago, aghadowey, and others, were helpful with my Witherow research.
As Witherow is a new member, I wonder if he/she has come across my family. They were
at  Killygullib Glebe, Bovedy, near Kilrea in the 1911 census, (transcribed as Withrow), but I have no idea where they came from before that. I hope the 1901 census will help, but any ideas would be
gratefully accepted.    Thank you    ama

Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 May 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
AMA

Good to hear from you. I've had a wee look at your previous threads re Witherows and if I've got it right for your tree I might have a few thoughts for you. The John Witherow who you were enquiring about seemed to have a brother James. There was a marriage of a James Witherow and a Rose Mc Namara in the registration district of Limavady in the Oct - Dec Quarter of 1908. The now Rose Witherow turns up in the 1911 census at Benares Street in Belfast and she is now a widow with a child. You seem to indicate that John & James mothers name was Barnett or Barrett. Now it might be a long shot but there are quite a few Witherows living in the Townland of Three Trees in Donegal on the 1911 census and there are 14 Barnetts living in the townland of Drumskellan in the DED of Three Trees. Rose Mc Namara's family were Catholic and that could fit in with your family legend that there was a fleeing after a marriage. If the family did flee to Killygullib as a result of that marriage it may well be that they went there to be near other Witherow relatives and all the Witherows that appear in the Garvagh, Kilrea area seem to be of my tribe. If you want to PM me any other details that you have, particularly in regard to any earlier generations I'll do my best to see if I can fit it in with any details that I have to the Donegal branch of the tree.

Hope this is some help

Witherow
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 May 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
Witherow,

Thank you for the reply and offer of help.
        As you will have seen from my posts, I do not know anything about the earlier family.
        However, Barnett was the surname, (not Barrett), that much I do know.

James, born 1886, son of John & Matilda joined the British Army, and survived the Great War, so Rose Witherow in 1911 Belfast was probably not his.
       John, born 1889 went to London and married there in 1912.
       Matilda born 1892, went to USA in 1912 where she married.
       William born 1895 remained farming ( later at Laragh townland, DED The Grove, Co. Derry)

I'm sorry not to be more specific, but would love to know how the family ended up where it did,
                I hope it will become clearer with the 1901 census.

Thank you again,    ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline ianrwn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 May 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Maybe this will interest you, from Australia.
Jane Witherow was my 3rd g grandmother, who married Robert Ramsay. Their daughter, Jane (1830) married John Irwin in 1855 at Bovevagh Presbyterian, Derry.
Jane & John had 3 sons who came to Qld, Australia in the 1880's, Joseph (1864) (my G grandfather), James(1859) and John Witherow Irwin(1871). (The name Witherow was used as second names at least 3 times here). Joseph was a carpenter and the other two were policemen.
 On 17th April 1895, James married his 1st cousin, Rebecca Ramsay at the residence of Joseph P Witheron ("n" being likely a transcription error, it is "W" on the marriage Certificate), Flinders Street, Townsville, Qld.
 In my searches on Joseph Witherow I found he had married Annie Reid, certificate No. 1893/C1806. Children born in Australia were Alexander (1894), George Reid (1896) & John Edward (1898). There are no deaths in the Index for any of them.
 I was interested when I read the comments from aghadowey, that they had moved back to Ireland.
  All the best, Ian
Irwin, Ramsay, Witherow, Mullan.

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 May 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Ian

Many thanks for all this information, It is much appreciated. As you'll see from my thread I'm trying to connect about 10 families of Witherows who all came from the same area here in Ireland. I have quite a lot of information on Joseph Witherows family including letters from Queensland to his uncle at Coolbane which I can send as a personal message to you if you are interested. There was also a legal case in respect of an inheritance of his which I'm still in the process of researching, I'll keep you informed of that when I find out more. In regard to Joseph Witherow's wife Annie Reid, she was born in Scotland and died in Scotland at Western Infirmary, Glasgow on 13th February 1917 (of shock) Her first child Alexander died in Australia (prior to December 1898) and she and her husband Joseph and children George Reid and John Edward returned to take over one of their Uncle John Witherow's farms at Coolbane, near Garvagh. I am also really interested in the Ramsay connection as there are several mentions in other letters I have from another Joseph Witherow of Louisiana in the USA of "Cousin Ramsay's estate" there.
I have a few questions that if you have answers may help greatly.
1. Do you know where Joseph Witherow and Annie Reid were married?
2. Do you know the relationship between Joseph Witherow and your GGG Grandmother Jane Witherow?
3. Do you have a copy of Joseph Witherows and Annie Reids marriage certificate and if so are their parents names on it?

Many thanks again for all your help

Witherow

Offline ianrwn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Witherow,
                          To answer your Questions;
 I do not know the relationship of Joseph and my 3rd G Grandmother, or any of the family. I found her name to be Witherow and when I saw on James and Rebecca's Marriage certificate, Joseph's name, I assumed they were related in some way.
Joseph and Annie's marriage I believe was in Townsville but as I have not bought the certificate I can't be sure. The "Qld Australia"Certificate no. is on yesterdays notice.
 I will attach 3 documents which may be of interest as far as the Ramsay family go. I have family information of John and Jane (Ramsay) Irwin, John and Mary (Fleming) Ramsay. The gravestone is of John Ramsay's family and some of their grandchildren. Marriage Cert is John and Mary Fleming. The other attachment is of some Bovevagh Presbyterian Church Records on that Derryork Ramsay family. John is Jane (Ramsay) Irwin,s brother and son of Jane (Witherow) Ramsay. This is only the second time I have replied to postings on Rootschat so you may not be able to send anything through PM. I would love to recieve the information you spoke of.

All the best for now, Ian
Irwin, Ramsay, Witherow, Mullan.

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Ian

Many thanks for the information, much appreciated. I'll personal message the other information to you.

Witherow