Author Topic: John Dodson Chalmers Ontario  (Read 20165 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: John Dodson Chalmers Ontario
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for a John Burnett Chalmers on 7 Aug 1909 in Markdale, Grey County. His parents are listed as William Scott Chalmers and Minnie. It was a delayed registration that was filed in 1940. The informant was John's mother Minnie. I was hoping that finding a birth for a child would help track down a marriage for William but unfortunately Minnie didn't include her maiden surname in the box that asks for mother's maiden name (she just put "Minnie"). Minnie Chalmers was the informant on one of the two death registrations that was filed for her husband's death in 1914.

I also found a death for Catherine Chalmers. She died 24 Oct 1930 in Twp of Derby, Grey County. Her parents are listed as James Burnett and Annie Grieg, both born Scotland. She was born 24 May 1835 in Scotland. Her daughter Mrs. Robert West was the informant. It also says she was buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Owen Sound.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline aberdein

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jacquie for all that information. I really had no idea that it might exist.
Regards
aberdein

Offline Bookert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 August 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would like to know about your interest in John Dodson Chalmers. I am a Chalmers and I have a very old photograph of this family.
Chalmers
Denis
Charlton
Beazley
Slaunwhite
Christian

Offline aberdein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
J.D.Chalmers was my wifes very distant relation. Thanks for the offer. I may get back to you on this when I sort out all the information I have already been sent.

Regards
aberdein

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 August 10 03:08 BST (UK) »
Here is a list with both of them and all of the Chalmers that were interred in Greenwood Cemetery in Owen Sound with death & burial dates
http://www.owensound.ca/cemetery/internments.pdf
Welcome to rootschat Bookert
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline aberdein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 September 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much J.J.for that extra information and sorry not to have got back to you earlier.
Regards
aberdein

Offline Muskoka Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
John Dodson is my great-grandfather, my grandfather being James Burnett Chalmers.  I have many pages of this family history - william Scott Chalmers born Dec.14, 1797: died March 1, 1855 was my great-great grandfather. William Scott Chalmers married Mary Mills who was born JULY 14, 1801, ON jANUARY 25, 1822.  their offspring are as follows;
Isobella Stewart Chalmers - B. Dec. 17, 1822 Married ALEXANDER Fyfe and had 7 children:-
William Scott Chalmers - B. Nov. 12, 1825. He married E.A.Potter and had 3 children: William, Eva and Hope (Mrs. Angus - my cousin Biddy's mother)
Robert Ochterlony Chalmers - B. May 10, 1827. He remained a bachelor and died in California. I have no date of death.
Elizabeth Lindsay Chalmers - B. Mon. Feb. 22, 1830. She married one Alexander Burns - they had 3 childrren
Hope Walker Chalmers - B. March 6, 1833 - she married one David Neave
John Dodson Chalmers - as above
Patrick Scott Chalmers - B. Jan.7,1838 HE MARRIED mary ABERDEIN AND THEY HAD 3 CHILDREN 
George Paul Chalmers - born Nov.12, 1836-died December 1878 - He is the noted Scottish Author.
Mary Barclay Mills Chalmers - b.jAN.26,1844 - DIED 1846
 John Dodson married Catherine Burnett. These are my great-grandparents. Great-great aunts and Uncles are

Offline Muskoka Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
John Dodson Chalmers was born Thurs. Jan.29, 1835 in Lethnot near Montrose, Scotland. HE DIED AT THE AGE OF 82 YEARS IN 1917 AT OWEN SOUND, Ontario, Canada.   John's wife, Catherine Burnett was born May 24, 1835 at Kirrimuir Scotland. She died in Owen Sound, Ontario in 1930 at the age of 95.

This couple immigrated to Canada to be with Catherine's parents who had emigrated to Canada earlier in the century.  The year they arrived is contraversial so it is guessed to be around 1873, as James Burnett, their 2nd son said he was 8 year old at the time and then again 5 years of age at another so we are left in doubt as to actual arrival year. 

Catherine's parents and her brother William settled abovw Owen Sound near Kamble, Ontario and are buried in a cemetary (Big Bay Cemetary) which is between the town's of Wiarton and Kemble, Ontario.

John Dodson and Catherine on arriving in Candad first settled in the County of Halton in an area known as the Scotch Block. This was located between the towns of Milton and Speyside, Ont.  From here they moved to Kemble near Owen Sound where they farmed and raised their children.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh, nice of you to join in, Welcome to rootschat...James was 4 at the time!
Name:
CHALMERS, John Age: 37
Date of Arrival 1872/05/21
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Ship: GERMANY
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/001082-119.01-e.php?&person_id_nbr=396406

Image with Catherine 36, John 6, James 4 & Agnes, 6 mos.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passengers-quebec-1865-1900/001082-119.03-e.php?&interval=85&person_id_nbr=396406
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com