Author Topic: New lap top  (Read 9461 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New lap top
« on: Monday 15 March 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a new lap top and my Scrabble 2003 will not install.  I suppose it is not compatible with Windows 7 and I will have to buy again?
Does anyone know?
Thank, Abiam2

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New lap top
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Try it in compatibility mode.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
You,ll have to excuse my ignorance but how do I do that?

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:55 GMT (UK) »
If you have an icon on your desktop for Scabble then right click - then properties - this will give you an information box. One button will be marked 'find target' - left click and it will open the folder with the .exe file.

Then right-click on the .exe file - choose 'Properties', then 'Compatibility'. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for: ***** " and choose an older version of Windows from the drop-down. Your options should go all the way back to Windows 95.

There is a patch here: Ubi Soft website but it was published in August 2009 so probably not for Windoze 7 but may work as its not a million miles away from Vista.
<b>Bertram</b> - London; <b>Bartram</b> - London and Wallingford, Berks; <b>Dixon</b> - Kent; <b>Gant</b> - Colchester, Essex; <b>Goldsack</b> - Kent; <b>Mann</b> - London and Sussex; <b>McConkey</b> - Sussex and Hants; <b>Percival</b> - London and Nottingham; <b>Turner</b> - Fordham, Cambs; <b>Reach</b> - London; <b>Rumens</b> - London; <b>Matthews</b> - London.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
 Will try that when I've downloaded it again.  I seem to be finding more and more stuff is not working with W 7
Abiam2

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
One of the big problems with Vista was compatibility.

People have wrongly assumed that all these have been sorted for W7 - not so it runs on basically the same engine - if you go straight from XP to W7 you get the same problems as people had with going from XP to Vista.

If you'd ironed out your programs with Vista you shouldn't get so many problems with W7 (allegedly).

Of course cynics would say that it is all just a rouse to get you to buy updated software but I couldn't possibly say that. You may well end up doing this - or play scrabble on Facebook!!!!!!!
<b>Bertram</b> - London; <b>Bartram</b> - London and Wallingford, Berks; <b>Dixon</b> - Kent; <b>Gant</b> - Colchester, Essex; <b>Goldsack</b> - Kent; <b>Mann</b> - London and Sussex; <b>McConkey</b> - Sussex and Hants; <b>Percival</b> - London and Nottingham; <b>Turner</b> - Fordham, Cambs; <b>Reach</b> - London; <b>Rumens</b> - London; <b>Matthews</b> - London.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Love your avatar.  Feel just like that!  I had XP and was offered a new cheap Vista but wouldn't take it because of all the problems people had with it.  Maybe I should have and I could afford all the new software!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 March 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abiam  :)

What version of Window do you have. You need Window Professional or above to get the  compatibility option. If you have home Premium, it's not included  :-\

Not sure of the solution but I think Falkyrn is the knowledgeable one on this - I'll PM him with a link to this thread in case he's missed it  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 March 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
What version of Window do you have. You need Window Professional or above to get the  compatibility option. If you have home Premium, it's not included

Compatibility mode is part of Home Premium - Pro and above have the Virtual XP mode which is different.

To run a program as administrator and in compatibilty mode ... right click on "Computer" select Open

Right click  the drive with your installation disk and again select open

Locate the setup or installation program and right click on this. Select properties ..... a tabbed window then opens up select Compatibility and select your settings for the program.

Not sure of the solution but I think Falkyrn is the knowledgeable one on this

::)
Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh