Author Topic: New lap top  (Read 9468 times)

Online Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: New lap top
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Adobe reader is a reader program for pdf files - Version 9 is fully compatible with Windows 7 so there shouldn't be this problem it would appear that something else is blocking the pdf files. Other free reader programs are available.
Try testing the installation by locating a pdf file on your computer, right click on this and select "open with" and select Adobe reader from the selections.

As an afterthought some programs normally integrated with Internet Explorer do not work well within the 64 bit version of the program and it may be worthwhile checking your installation to find the 32 bit version which will also have been installed. Or if you wish you could try an alternative browser - there are several available

Epson have provided a Windows 7 driver for your scanner but unfortunately only for the 32 bit version. I suspect from the difficulties that you are having that your system has the 64 bit version installed.

(Right click on "Computer" on the desktop and select properties - this should tell you most of the information about your system)

Re Fine pix - it may be worthwhile unloading the version you have installed (go to control panel and uninstall) and then going to the site listed and downloading and then installing a fresh version.

Scrabble - double click on "Computer" on the desktop and open the window which lists your drives - work your way through this to find where Scrabble has been installed possibly in your C Drive in a folder called Program Files (x86). Open up the scrabble folder and look for the scrabble program icon - right click on this, select properties and do what you did before to the setup program.
Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Leiper48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
 I too have annoying problems with Windows 7. I have bought a new desktop and although it will talk to my Canon iP5200 printer it is determined not to talk to my old but excellent Epson Prefection 1650 scanner. I also find now that my laptop running Windows XP can no longer talk to the printer through the wireless router which it did quite happily with the old one. Progress?? >:(

Epson confirm that the scanner software isn't compatible and I should replace it!- I said that if I did it wouldn't be with another Epson - they didn't bother to reply.

Any suggestions about the laptop?

John

Morton, Leiper, Donaldson, Hamilton, Balantyne, Torrance, Steel, Wilson, Young, Smith, all from Ayrshire/Lanarkshire, Scotland
Pearce, Day, Chiddy, Kingdom: Southern England
Darbyshire: Lancashire
Derbyshire, Owen, Jones : N Wales
Beatty, Lannon: Waterford, Ireland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear,
Things get worse and more expensive.  My camera had a pictbridge for downloading my pics and I needed a new battery. 20 for new battery to then discover the pictbridge was broken and not charging.  Hence new camera as Fuji don't do pictbridges any more. And 20 quid down the drain as my new battery is not compatible!   So the fine pix problem is solved as I have new software to load.

I took your advice about Adobe and it brings up my own pdfs beautifully but will not open anything from the web.  Any suggestions as to another program?

Re the Epson the computer is 64 bit.  I have searched around and it does mean a new scanner.  Any recommendations?  I have a Cannon PIXMA IP4200 printer.

Next thing - to follow the scrabble instructions.  Will report back,
Abiam2

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Just worked through all instructions for Scrabble and thought I'd got it.  But no!  It just took longer to say it wasn't going to work!
Abiam2

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I took your advice about Adobe and it brings up my own pdfs beautifully but will not open anything from the web.

Could it be Adobe Flash Player that is needed here?
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON, MACRAE - Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't know   :(
Abiam2

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for an alternative to Adobe Reader for PDF`s then try Foxit reader, its better & requires less resources.
http://download.cnet.com/Foxit-Reader/3000-10743_4-10313206.html?part=dl-116442&subj=dl&tag=button/

For the Scanner software, rather than buy a new Scanner, you could try out Vuescan, it has a trail before buying so nowt lost?
It supports the Epson Perfection 1260, which is presumably your Model?
http://www.hamrick.com/

Could it be Adobe Flash Player that is needed here?

AFAIK, there is no 64bit Adobe Flash player & Adobe Reader doesn`t need Flash to work.

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I too have annoying problems with Windows 7. I have bought a new desktop and although it will talk to my Canon iP5200 printer it is determined not to talk to my old but excellent Epson Prefection 1650 scanner. I also find now that my laptop running Windows XP can no longer talk to the printer through the wireless router which it did quite happily with the old one. Progress?? >:(

Epson confirm that the scanner software isn't compatible and I should replace it!- I said that if I did it wouldn't be with another Epson - they didn't bother to reply.

Any suggestions about the laptop?

John

? so you upgrade to another OS, and then give epson stick for their item not working,
would think it should be MS you should be annoyed at,
then you tell epson your not buying their product and get the huff when they don't reply lol
if your scanner doesn't work in windows 7 then the chances of it working via the network to another computer are small,
if you want just to scan occasionally? then install it on the laptop,
or maybe bite the bullet and buy an epson all in one :P

As Stevie says for scanner software Vuescan does work in W7, i tried it but find it to fiddly for what i wanted,
but for those who want an occasional scan it does the job ;)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »

? so you upgrade to another OS, and then give epson stick for their item not working,
would think it should be MS you should be annoyed at,
then you tell epson your not buying their product and get the huff when they don't reply lol
if your scanner doesn't work in windows 7 then the chances of it working via the network to another computer are small,
if you want just to scan occasionally? then install it on the laptop,
or maybe bite the bullet and buy an epson all in one :P

As Stevie says for scanner software Vuescan does work in W7, i tried it but find it to fiddly for what i wanted,
but for those who want an occasional scan it does the job ;)

Les

Whilst I agree to some degree with what you say, it is important for manufacturers to support their products or at least offer a work around for those who own their products....I can understand folks getting upset because an otherwise serviceable product now doesn`t work & can see your point about who`s fault is it.

I`ve said this before....Maybe Companies should say how long they will support a product? I have an Epson Scanner which is 6 years old & it works fine on Win7 64bit (Epsom have drivers & software), the Op`s Scanner is 8yrs old, Is 8yrs too old?

You cannot blame Microsoft (Hack-Spit) for bringing out a new O/S, surely Hardware manufacturers must share some responsibilities for making their products work under a new O/S?

Maybe the OP should wait a while & see if Epsom come up with a newer driver?

But I do support the theory that if a Manufacturer can`t be bother to support their older products it doesn`t give one confidence for the future.

Steve