Author Topic: latin translations please!  (Read 1193 times)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
latin translations please!
« on: Monday 15 March 10 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'd be most grateful if somebody with a knowledge of Latin could tell me what the following entries are in the Almondbury parish records:

From 1686:
Ricardus f Ricardi Redferne vill bapt privatim (necessitatis causa) sine compatribus.

From 1687:
Jacobus Redferne de Woodsome Milne molendinarius, vir vero honestus, utilis, et jucundus, sepult non sine dolore vicinitatis totius.

Also several entries have the word "oppid" in the text.

I can get the gist of the beginning bits as this is the name of the person, and also understand bapt and sepult, but the rest completely flummoxes me I'm afraid.
All help gratefully received
Thanks

Jacky

Offline Lolly2881

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: latin translations please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 March 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
think it reads this but I am not definate on this

From 1686:
Ricardus f Ricardi Redferne country house bapt private ( need case at law ) without godparents.

From 1687:
Jacobus Redferne of Woodsome Mill a miller , man in truth respectable , useful , and pleasant , burial not without pain neighbourly just as many.
Yorkshire - Bates
France - Bettambos, Betambeau
London - Betambeau, Croucher, Pittard, Price, Style
Wales - Battenbough, James, Evans
Cornwall - Croucher, Johns, Tippett, Merrifield, Blatchford, Trebilcock, Hocking, Lean, Searl
Gloucestershire - Swinford
USA - Evans

Offline Lolly2881

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 March 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I think oppid is something to do with fortified town, would this make any sense in the context you have found the word?
Yorkshire - Bates
France - Bettambos, Betambeau
London - Betambeau, Croucher, Pittard, Price, Style
Wales - Battenbough, James, Evans
Cornwall - Croucher, Johns, Tippett, Merrifield, Blatchford, Trebilcock, Hocking, Lean, Searl
Gloucestershire - Swinford
USA - Evans

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
No not really - the entries just read "Thomas f Jacobi Redferne oppid bapt" "Josephus f Jacobi Redferne oppid bapt" and so on.
Jacky

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 March 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
From 1686:
Richard son of Richard Redferne (vill - see below) was baptised privately (because of necessity) without godparents.

From 1687:
James Redferne of Woodsome Mill, miller, a truly honest, hardworking and agreeable man, was buried, mourned by (lit. "not without the grief of") the whole neighbourhood.

"vill" and "oppid" - my guess is that these refer to the status of the people they apply to, or possibly where they lived, but I'm not at all sure. "vill" might possibly refer to a village or township, but in view of its roots (villanus) could it be a tenant? I wondered if "oppid" might refer to the town of Almondbury, or a townsman; or if in contrast to "vill", some kind of landowner?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk