Author Topic: BAYNTON/BAINTONfamily  (Read 5917 times)

Offline simona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BAYNTON/BAINTONfamily
« on: Monday 15 March 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out any info on a William Baynton/Bainton and his wife Elizabeth. I believe they are my 8xgtgrandparents. They were from a place called Burbage in Wiltshire. They had four children, the eldest was William baptised 18/09/1662, then Francis baptised 18/06/1666, then Elizabeth 24/02/1669 baptised and lastly John baptised 01/04/1672 all in Burbage, Wiltshire apart from John he was baptised in Westcott, Wiltshire. I am trying to find records of their father's birth and also a marriage for him and Elizabeth and hopefully her maiden surname. My aim is to try and prove the parentage of William in the hope of tracing my line to the Baynton family of Spye Park, it has been suggested by many that we are a lost line of descent from there. Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: BAYNTON/BAINTONfamily
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi simona,

There is a marriage licence bond

Willm BAINTON Yeoman of Burbage Widower = Eliz SOMERSETT spinster aged 20 of Pewsey  16 Nov 1661 bondsman Francis BARBER husbandman of Burbage

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:16 GMT (UK) »
You might want to have a look in Wootton Rivers.  There is an earlier PCC Will of a William Baynton of Burbage proven in 1618 in which he mentions wife Margery, his brother John, his uncle Raphe of Wootton Rivers and John Baynton the younger of Wootton Rivers. He also mentions his "father" John Hubbart and his Uncle John Baynton.  William's Will is a bit confusing.   There is also a John Baynton PCC Will of Wootton Rivers in 1636 (which is only a few lines long) in which he mentions his kinsman John Baynton. 

I've got copies of all the Baynton PCC Wills but haven't had a chance to look at them more closely yet.  Give me a few weeks and I'll see what I can dig out.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:17 GMT (UK) »
There was a William BAINTON baptised 6 Apr 1629 Burbage father John

John BANITON = Franncis ORAM (father Leonard ORAM) 16 Jun 1617 Burbage

there was  John BAYNTON baptised 21 Apr 1595 Burbage parents William and Joan

William BAYNTON = Joan BANING 2 May 1586 Burbage

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Re Nicola's post

There is a

William BAINTON = Margery HURLEBATT 18 Nov 1616 Burbage

also a listing for

William BAYNTTON = Morgery HURLEBATT 8 Nov 1616 Trowbridge

reading of the banns perhaps  :-\

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Re: Krises' post, you may want to take a look at http://www.burbage-wiltshire.co.uk/family/family.htm.  I gather there is a gap in the baptism registers between 1639 and 1662.

Not knowing how much you have on the Burbage family, I have had a look at the Sarum Wills Index at http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/heritage/wills_search.php there are several early Wills for Burbage and Wootton Rivers

John Bainton Burbage 1644 yeoman (can be purchased online)
Ralph Bainton Wootton Rivers 1665 husbandman
Frances Bainton Burbage 1668 widow
Jane Bainton Wootton Rivers 1685 widow
John Bainton Burbage 1693 yeoman
William Bainton Burbage 1711 no profession

The remainder you'd have to order through the records office or pay them a visit.

Yeoman is definately a good profession for them if they are a sideline from the Bromham/Bremhill family.  I've been doing some research on that family and trying to piece together sidelines as they are probably a sideline on one of my trees (from the early 1500s) but also my Aunt may well be descended from an illegitimate line of the Bromham family from the late 1700s (and there were many of those at that time!).  Just not had the time to piece them all together yet.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline simona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nicola and Kris, Thank you both very much indeed for you assistance. It is very greatly appreciated. I must say I am rather amazed at how you manage this, as I found myself at a dead end. I wonder how possible it is to work back from this in the hope of going to the very early bayntons. I have been using the LDS site as well although there does seem to be gaps in this site. I would also be willing to share the info I have as you both have been very kind in helping. I look forward to hearing from you both.
Very best regards Simon.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Simon

Just spotted your earlier posting from last July - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,390708.msg2627115.html#msg2627115.

Quick look on the IGI, have you looked into the fact that there is a James Lewis Bainton baptism in 1753 to a Thomas and Mary in Holborn and this could well be the couple who are there later on?  It would mean that the Bristol 1762 marriage is less likely to be your Thomas and Mary.

The IGI is very patchy on Bainton/Bayntons as it is with all coverage.  There are Baintons in various parts of the country including Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.  Its possible they could all descend originally from Wiltshire but this could pre-date records.  The IGI is a great finding aid but the original registers need to be checked out.

Boyds Marriage Index have Bainton/Baynton marriages in Middlesex and London going back to the late 1500s.  Have you found any Wills etc that confirm that your Thomas and Mary were from Bristol and connected to the Burbage family?  Don't want to put a spanner in the works but these sorts of sources tend to be the only way of confirming where someone came from when you go back pre-censuses.

Nicola

Offline simona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Nicola, Sorry about that and also to Kris, maybe I should have stated that before I had made an earlier posting. I thought that this birth may have been to early to be connected as there is 20years between James and the youngest Sarah. However it could well be correct. The thing is that I have still failed to find what Thomas wife's maiden surname was. So what I then did was to take the youngest child as I knew. In this instance Thomas and then fitted a possible marriage to them and the only one that I could find was a Thomas Baynton to a Mary Hurley on 03 MAY 1762 at St Phillip & St Jacobs, Bristol, Gloucester, England. I have also thought that her maiden surname might have been Strickland as their grandson William Baynton has the middlename Strickland. William Strickland Baynton was my 3xGtgrandfather and his father was Samuel Baynton. However because I cannot find a marriage cert for his grandparents I have found myself completely stuck. I do not know how to access the other index's which you have kindly mentioned. My sincere appologies if I have wasted your time as this was not my intention. I am still a novice on trying to find out how to use other info.
Best Regards,
Simon.