Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 35951 times)

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 May 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Heather, sorry i haven't replied to you earlier post, ive been deep in research mode! in relation to isaac going back to UK with a william Philips, i haven't come across this yet & didn't know that he had done so! also thank you for connecting with my tree, was able to get some info & photos which should be quite helpful. I also noticed you had a photo of one of Robert Philip's children which i had not seen before. I'll have to get that photo as well! In the relation to the Badbea connection im not 100% sure but i think you maybe right but im going to check a few more leads & give Bryce & Jenny a few more dates etc to see if they marry up to their trees'. It isn't that easy to find the past generations if you don't know what your looking for!

Same here Ben..

I am trying to sort out Coroners reports and matching dates of birth that don't fit on my other side...

I am glad you linked up to my ancestry...

I am following a bit more of the Somerset Hotel and I have been informed for sure Isaac and sons built it for E.E.Holmes.

Now which Sutherland son are you from?????? I am from Catherine.

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 May 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
I hope that i am on the right road, it seems to fit except for the Watten part. Isaac was born in Dunn, Watten in Scotland. He married a Margaret Buchanan on 11 Feb 1831. They had several children, one of them being Isaac Jr who was born in 1838 in Eunant, Midloths, Scotland. Isaac Jr's mother(Margaret) was born on the 21 Sept 1806 in Caithness. She passed away on the 11 Aug 1893 in Victoria Australia where Isaac Sr passed on July 28 1896. His mother Catherine Gunn who was born in Latherton Caithness Scotland in 1773, married John Sutherland on the 22 of Jan 1796 in Caithness. John died about 1841 & Catherine on the 14 June 1861 both in Caithness. Isaac Sr also had another son who was James McFarlane Sutherland who was born in 1844 in Caithness & died on the 5 March 1903. He married a Grace Arabella Mathews who was born in 1852 & died on the 18 Oct 1944 in Victoria Australia. They had a son who was Edward Tonkin Sutherland  who was born in 1887, died in 1952 in Western Australia. He was my gg grandfather. I hope this some how marries up to everything you have described. Ill post some more details up later, thanks very much Ben

Hi again Ben.

How do you know that the dates etc for John Sutherland and Catherine Gunn are good?

I checked igi and match that date . I will try and paste the info with numbers here. we have a problem with our Catherine and Katharine and Gun. That isn't a bad thing as they say the same thing though...

JOHN SUTHERLAND    Pedigree
     Male         Family

Event(s):
   Birth:
   Christening:
   Death:
   Burial:

Marriages:
     Spouse:     KATHARINE GUN    Family
     Marriage:     
22 JAN 1796      Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The form lists the submitter's name and address and may include source information. The address may be outdated. Details vary. To find the form, you must know the batch and sheet number.

Source Information:
   Batch Number:     7016611         
   Sheet:     37         
   Source Call No.:     0538399      Type:     Film

let me know Ben if this is good intel as I am holding my breath as this is better than I could get.

Also Margaret Buchanan docs are on my ancestry..

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 May 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

In answer to your question about the marriage record below, I have looked at the actual Latheron Parish Register page and it states:

22 Jan 1796 John Sutherland and Katherine Gun both in Achancraig Ousdale contracted in order to marriage and married.

Unfortunately it doesn't give much more information, i.e. parents or witnesses, or even occupations, but at least it verifies the IGI record.

Don't know about you, but I never like to trust the IGI without checking the actual source  ;)

I also have included the transcript of Catherine Sutherland (nee Gunn)'s death so that you have these for your records in case we do manage to link up the Berriedale family with your Watten Isaac Sutherland. I do have another Sutherland family earlier on in Watten though, so perhaps we join up anyways!!

14 Jun 1861 Catherine Sutherland - widow of John Sutherland (Crofter) Of Newport, Berriedale. 88yrs Father John Gunn (Crofter deceased) mother Janet Gunn (MS Sutherland deceased) Cause of death - old age. Informant John Sutherland (son present)

Hope this helps :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

In answer to your question about the marriage record below, I have looked at the actual Latheron Parish Register page and it states:

22 Jan 1796 John Sutherland and Katherine Gun both in Achancraig Ousdale contracted in order to marriage and married.

Unfortunately it doesn't give much more information, i.e. parents or witnesses, or even occupations, but at least it verifies the IGI record.

Don't know about you, but I never like to trust the IGI without checking the actual source  ;)

I also have included the transcript of Catherine Sutherland (nee Gunn)'s death so that you have these for your records in case we do manage to link up the Berriedale family with your Watten Isaac Sutherland. I do have another Sutherland family earlier on in Watten though, so perhaps we join up anyways!!

14 Jun 1861 Catherine Sutherland - widow of John Sutherland (Crofter) Of Newport, Berriedale. 88yrs Father John Gunn (Crofter deceased) mother Janet Gunn (MS Sutherland deceased) Cause of death - old age. Informant John Sutherland (son present)

Hope this helps :)

Jenny

No that puts us back into the wrong area...I believe as you do that we aren't from Berriedale..

Isaac was a tradesman. Worked in Edinburgh. Worked in Wick. MAde a good living here in Australia and his sons worked with him..

Would he have had to be apprenticed do you think and are documents available like that in Scotland?

I think we need a carpenter or joiner father or Uncle etc.

What is the earlier family may I ask?

Maybe we can link that way..

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there Heather, I'll try & answer as best i can with the questions you have! Isaac Sutherland & Margaret Buchanan had a son James McFarlane Sutherland(In the picture of family)who married Grace Arabella Mathews & had a son Edward Tonkin Sutherland(im putting photos of him up soon)who married Elizabeth Ellen Cavey & had a son Robert Thomas Sutherland. He is my Grandfather.
In relation to the Marriage for Catherine(Katharine)Gunn & John Sutherland it was once again in my dads family tree from 1991. He got it from the Sutherland bible that apparently existed. He said that it has been lost over the past 100 years. It would be good to find that! I hope this helps you! I think this is the correct IGI. Im also interested in the" I am following a bit more of the Somerset Hotel and I have been informed for sure Isaac and sons built it for E.E.Holmes" I would like to find out some more about that also! Let me know how it goes.

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,

I am hitting a brick wall with your James MacFarlane Sutherland.

None of Isaacs kids had middle names.

But I can't find through ancestry his family details. So I have asked for clarification from another family member who is researching the local history and isn't that worried about the Scottish part. But he is after the Somerset Hotel and he shares info with me...

I had sent to me years ago a claim for the Colony Club thing for Victoria and they researched the family from when they came to Australia. The Black Eagle and arrived 19 October 1854.

On the same ship was another Sutherland family with the mothers name as Margt...she died on the voyage.

James was 10 at the time of Immigration.

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
The only reason that i know that his middle name is that dad used to call him uncle Mac! I found the Grave stones of him & Grace iv got to load them up as well. I also found out that of his 50 odd year lifespan he spent 23 years of it in hospital i believe! whereas Grace lived till she was 92! ill get you the website for that!

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather & Ben,

In relation to the Marriage for Catherine(Katharine)Gunn & John Sutherland it was once again in my dads family tree from 1991. He got it from the Sutherland bible that apparently existed. He said that it has been lost over the past 100 years. It would be good to find that! I hope this helps you! I think this is the correct IGI.

I agree, wouldn't it be brilliant to have that bible! If your dad got it from the bible, has it only been lost since 1991 or did he get it from another source?

No that puts us back into the wrong area...I believe as you do that we aren't from Berriedale..

Isaac was a tradesman. Worked in Edinburgh. Worked in Wick. Made a good living here in Australia and his sons worked with him..

Would he have had to be apprenticed do you think and are documents available like that in Scotland?

I think we need a carpenter or joiner father or Uncle etc.

What is the earlier family may I ask?

Maybe we can link that way..

In answer to your questions Heather, my earlier Watten Sutherland link is as follows:

Jean Sutherland married Magnus Sandison/Sandyson on 5th April 1770 at Watten, Caithness
They had 3 children:
John Sandison - baptised 11 Jan 1771 Watten
Ann Sandison - baptised 7 Mar 1773 Watten (My rellie, who married George Tait in Wick in 1802)
Magnus Sandison - baptised 15 Apr 1776 Watten

There are stacks of Sutherland families in that area (all through Caithness in fact), I have not figured out for certain which Sutherland family Jean is from but have found a possible baptism:

Jean Sutherland chr: 25 Mar 1745 Watten Father: Donald Sutherland Mother: Ann Sutherland

as to the other question about trades........

The 6 known children of John & Catherine Sutherland of Berriedale had the following jobs:

Jane - married a shepherd who became a sheep farmer - no carpenters in the family
James - was a farmer, crofter and mason at various stages - so a trade but not a carpenter
Elizabeth - domestic servant, housekeeper
John - described in the census as a fisherman, agricultural labourer and mason
Hannah - married a crofter (who was also a Sutherland) and lived at Badbea
Janet - married a fisherman (who was also a Sutherland) and lived at Badbea

I do not know John Sutherland's brothers and sister's in order to see if there were any carpenters among them, and from what I know of Catherine's brother's they were crofters and fisherman.

Perhaps Isaac was sent to Edinburgh to learn a trade, or was apprenticed down there? I thought that Isaac was a minister? Or are we talking about Isaac Junior? Which one went to Australia?

Do either of you have a list of Isaac's children? That would help us identify who his parents were, if he used the Highland naming pattern that is  ::)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
The children of Isaac and Margaret Sutherland are as follows

Catherine Born 1832 at  Wick                   
Robert       ,,     1834      ,,
William       ,,     1836      ,,
Isaac Jnr    ,,     1840     Eunant, Midlothian
Christina     ,,    1843    Wick