Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 36040 times)

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
The Highland naming pattern is all well and good, but it only fits a few of my Highland families. :P
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Well I have a spare William, A James and an Elizabeth....not knowing the Grandparents...blast what is it with this man? Is he hiding?  On his wedding there is an Alex?? Gunn day labourer from Dunn as a witness and her father Robert Buchanan

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hey Bryce  ;D
Wouldn't surprise me that your family don't fit the mould either!!

It is only to be used as a guide, it has helped me out in some fun and interesting situations, so I am sticking to it...must be the Scot in me  :P

Alex Gunn may be worth chasing, perhaps he leads to your Catherine Gunn......don't think he is hiding mate....just far too many Gunn's and Sutherland's up that way...why couldn't he have had a much more individual name eh?
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
At least his forename wasn't John or William!
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
True!!! But Isaac isn't helping either  ::)

This is what Scotland's People say about the naming pattern:

Traditional naming patterns
Scots often named children by following a simple set of rules:

1st son named after father's father
2nd son named after mother's father
3rd son named after father
1st daughter named after mother's mother
2nd daughter named after father's mother
3rd daughter named after mother

Although this was not universally applied (some families adhered strictly, others “dabbled” and still others ignored it), it can still be helpful in determining the correct entry when confronting the relative lack of information in the OPR’s. It can also give rise to great confusion when eight children of the same family in a small parish name their offspring according to convention! The use of traditional naming patterns gradually declined during the 19th century.

The application of naming conventions and the general desire to ensure that a family forename perpetuated through the generations, sometimes led to duplication of forenames within a family. For example, where a family wished to adhere strictly to the traditional naming pattern, and both grandfathers bore the same forename, that name might be given to more than child. If a child died young, parents might name a later child after the dead sibling. In unfortunate cases, the name may have been used more than once.

Sometimes there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the naming: a child might be named after the minister, the midwife, the doctor, an employer, an influential personage in the community or a close friend, who might appear as a witness to the birth. Witnesses are not always given in OPR entries, but where they are, sometimes (as in Dundee) you will find their relationship to child, if any, noted, e.g. “Charles Jobson, grandfather”, “Mrs Janet Speid, father’s mother”.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?561

If you want to check out their other hints and tips  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Would naming his 4th child after himself mean anything????

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hey Bryce  ;D
Wouldn't surprise me that your family don't fit the mould either!!

It is only to be used as a guide, it has helped me out in some fun and interesting situations, so I am sticking to it...must be the Scot in me  :P

Alex Gunn may be worth chasing, perhaps he leads to your Catherine Gunn......don't think he is hiding mate....just far too many Gunn's and Sutherland's up that way...why couldn't he have had a much more individual name eh?

A grandfather perhaps...with a Catherine who married a John Sutherland......might work...

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Alex Gunn could be an uncle or a cousin too, but worth chasing I think....

Plenty of mine named children after themselves after they had used up the parents......so his third son being named Isaac actually fits with the pattern described by Scotland's People. No Margaret though...which is interesting as they had 3 girls....

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
I will go hunting at scotlands people tomorrow.

Thanks for the good tips....if I strike out I will put him on the back burner....

I am getting some on Ancestry who want to connect an Isaac from Orkney......:(

tomorrow.