Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 36004 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Good luck!!!

Let us know how you go  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, i uploaded some photos on ancestory. I'll be doing some more over the next couple of days when i can. By the way, if you go to www.zades.com & go to the meredith grave plots, go to page 21 & plot number 176 from memory there is James McFarlane Sutherland & Grace Arabella. The only child i know of is Edward Tonkin Sutherland, but on the inscription it says "our father" which means more kids to me! There is a Robert William Sutherland also on this site who on the plot says that He had the same parents as Grace! It doesn't make scence to me as Grace's last name was Mathews. He died in 1908 at age 37, im trying to find out a little more, ill keep you informed! Ben

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry i meant www.zades.com.au

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, i uploaded some photos on ancestory. I'll be doing some more over the next couple of days when i can. By the way, if you go to www.zades.com & go to the meredith grave plots, go to page 21 & plot number 176 from memory there is James McFarlane Sutherland & Grace Arabella. The only child i know of is Edward Tonkin Sutherland, but on the inscription it says "our father" which means more kids to me! There is a Robert William Sutherland also on this site who on the plot says that He had the same parents as Grace! It doesn't make scence to me as Grace's last name was Mathews. He died in 1908 at age 37, im trying to find out a little more, ill keep you informed! Ben

Good Morning Ben,

My Source sent me this info..I have pasted from my email...

I have just found in my notes that our Isaac had a son “James M Sutherland” who was born 1846 in Wick, died 1903 in Bamganie.

James M Sutherland had children, Margaret B Sutherland 1878.   James M Sutherland 1879.  Robert 1880.    Grace 1883.   Edward T 1887 and  Annie 1890.

So I think he may be your 42 cousin………….

Does he have anything on Isaac junior??

abd this

Buy Image

Buy Cert

Surname

Given Name(s)

Event

Sps Snm / Father

Sps Gvn / Mother

Year

Reg. No

SUTHERLAND

Jas Mcfarlane

D

Sutherland Isaac

BUCHANAN - Margt

what I am coming up against is no middle names on census. none on ship list and none on parents death certs or on even Catherine Sutherlands when she died....so this is all new to me and makes finding these kids harder.

I even found another Margaret Buchanan and an Isaac Sutherland who married in Thurso..He was a blacksmith ..ON our Isaacs marriage the mention Dun and a minister.

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, ive been busy finding grave stones etc. Ive found a Maregret, Robert & James Sutherland at Bannockburn cemetery where they apparently died, there was no Isaac Sutherland though. Im getting a copy of the photos sent to me. Hopefully some of the inscriptions will lead to something else. By your last post with the extra kids that i haven't got, i found a picture of  Robert Sutherland that my dad had. He also had a picture of Margeret with Daughters Margeret, Grace & Annie! Which may confirm what you wrote. Im going to try & scan the pictures & put them on ancestry so you can see. Not the best copies though.

Ben

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, ive been busy finding grave stones etc. Ive found a Maregret, Robert & James Sutherland at Bannockburn cemetery where they apparently died, there was no Isaac Sutherland though. Im getting a copy of the photos sent to me. Hopefully some of the inscriptions will lead to something else. By your last post with the extra kids that i haven't got, i found a picture of  Robert Sutherland that my dad had. He also had a picture of Margeret with Daughters Margeret, Grace & Annie! Which may confirm what you wrote. Im going to try & scan the pictures & put them on ancestry so you can see. Not the best copies though.

Ben

Hi Ben,

That adds to the quota...I have also found the youngest child of Isaac's Elizabeth Sutherland. No more middle names though..also found she was born in Orkney.

I have put it up on Ancestry and have made more connections.

There is a listing of Bannockburn Cemetry with a lot of them buried there. An awful lot of children sadly.

re Isaac

28th of July.  Isaac Sutherland passed away at Bannockburn.  He was 88 years old and has been suffering from senile decay for approximately 4 years.  The cause of death is listed as exhaustion.  The informant on his death certificate is his daughter in-law Agnes Sutherland from Oakleigh, and the undertaker is his Grandson William Phillips.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 13 June 10 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather & Ben,

Just in case you haven't already found it, the following article is in the The Argus (Melbourne) in 1865 concerning Isaac Sutherland and his daughter Elizabeth at Bannockburn. Distressing stuff I am afraid  :-\

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5737843?searchTerm=%22isaac+sutherland%22

Not sure that it helps any in the search for his forebears but thought I would pass it on all the same

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 13 June 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather & Ben,

Just in case you haven't already found it, the following article is in the The Argus (Melbourne) in 1865 concerning Isaac Sutherland and his daughter Elizabeth at Bannockburn. Distressing stuff I am afraid  :-\

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5737843?searchTerm=%22isaac+sutherland%22

Not sure that it helps any in the search for his forebears but thought I would pass it on all the same

Jenny

Found it already Jen, but nothing further is reported. He stayed married to her sister Catherine and had a heap of kids.

Elizabeth married had 3 kids and her and her last baby died very close to each other...

I am not sure what happened and it seemed to have faded away.