Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 35949 times)

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 May 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
igi has a marriage for john sutherland and katharine gun on 22 jan 1796 at latheron, caithness

Trouble is, is it our Katharine and John.

Can not find siblings or any other info except for South Dunn and that quoted at his marriage and a minister.

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 May 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
I do believe it is as my father started this family tree in 1991 & he had that date due to a family member back then who lived there in Caithness & had that exact date. At that time there wasn't any internet it was all hand posted etc. I tried to locate your tree on ancestory but couldn't! I'll attempt it again! In relation to the Badbea, i received a comment by Bryce who has directed me to the Badbea site so that i can do some digging. What led you to believe that it isn't the right direction? Bryce said to me that in the case of Catherine Gunn & John Sutherland that this was the correct link! Im going to check it out! I'll let you know!

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
I do believe it is as my father started this family tree in 1991 & he had that date due to a family member back then who lived there in Caithness & had that exact date. At that time there wasn't any internet it was all hand posted etc. I tried to locate your tree on ancestory but couldn't! I'll attempt it again! In relation to the Badbea, i received a comment by Bryce who has directed me to the Badbea site so that i can do some digging. What led you to believe that it isn't the right direction? Bryce said to me that in the case of Catherine Gunn & John Sutherland that this was the correct link! Im going to check it out! I'll let you know!

The Badbea descendants helped and used their talents to try and find our Isaac but no luck.

I am hoping to go through some wesleyan records if I can and also the cabinetmaker joiner stuff from Edinburgh a guild record if we are lucky.

I had Isaac on the back burner because the Badbea stuff didn't pan out..so now I will go hunting further.

I have been asked to ask you if you have records on Isaac Jnr as he has slipped out of the records after he returned to UK with a William Phillips. Not known if he returned to Australia etc.

Ancestry is glitching..try again I have left mine public so I could get hints and connections.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 May 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, hello again Ben,

Just realised that there are a couple of threads going about Isaac Sutherland at the moment  ;)

Hopefully you have had a chance to read my reply to your post on Bryce's thread Ben, does this info link up with your family?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=198968.new;topicseen#new

Heather and I e-mailed a bit earlier on this year as she mentioned and we had decided that her "Isaac Sutherland" was unlikely to be a Badbea Descendant because of the links to Watten. I did not realise that your "Isaac Sutherland" is the same fellow!! How lucky that you found each other.

Isaac's birth was also in 1808, which causes other issues as the Berriedale "John Sutherland" and "Catherine Gunn" had a son in 1809 in Berriedale...not impossible...but unlikely that they had a child again so close. But it would be very strange and out of character for the couple who never left the Berriedale area to have a son in Watten, they had no family there, no connections known, and had their other 6 children in the Berriedale area.

hopefully some good info will show up for you two, it is so frustrating when you hit that brick wall  :-\

I don't want to dash your hopes about Badbea, but advise caution when it comes to Sutherland's they are always interbreeding, and marrying in and out of the same families that they confuse the best of us!! So many have the same names too, I have several Sutherland/Gunn marriages in my tree  ::)

I wish you both luck, and if I can be of any more help please let me know  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 May 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
I hope that i am on the right road, it seems to fit except for the Watten part. Isaac was born in Dunn, Watten in Scotland. He married a Margaret Buchanan on 11 Feb 1831. They had several children, one of them being Isaac Jr who was born in 1838 in Eunant, Midloths, Scotland. Isaac Jr's mother(Margaret) was born on the 21 Sept 1806 in Caithness. She passed away on the 11 Aug 1893 in Victoria Australia where Isaac Sr passed on July 28 1896. His mother Catherine Gunn who was born in Latherton Caithness Scotland in 1773, married John Sutherland on the 22 of Jan 1796 in Caithness. John died about 1841 & Catherine on the 14 June 1861 both in Caithness. Isaac Sr also had another son who was James McFarlane Sutherland who was born in 1844 in Caithness & died on the 5 March 1903. He married a Grace Arabella Mathews who was born in 1852 & died on the 18 Oct 1944 in Victoria Australia. They had a son who was Edward Tonkin Sutherland  who was born in 1887, died in 1952 in Western Australia. He was my gg grandfather. I hope this some how marries up to everything you have described. Ill post some more details up later, thanks very much Ben

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,

I hope that you are on the right track too, just advising caution, before you get too excited  ;)

Nothing jumps out at me from the info that you popped up about your family, my Sutherland's as far as I know have no connections with Watten, Midlothian or Australia (until much later on i.e. 1920's with my g grandfather coming to Brisbane). None were trained in anyway, i.e. they were all crofters and servants, until my Rutherford's became Wine and Spirit Merchants. I am intruiged by the references to your Isaac being a minister...perhaps Heather will find some clue in the Wesleyan records.

I am not disputing that my John Sutherland died between 1841 and 1851 and his wife Catherine died in 1861 (I have her death cert) but I am not so sure that they are also your John & Catherine Sutherland. Perhaps your Isaac's parents also emigrated to Australia or NZ or perhaps even the US, maybe that is why we cannot find reference to them...or perhaps they died when Isaac was young?

Do you have info on Isaac Sutherland's siblings? This may give us a clue, as in good old Highland tradition there is a naming pattern for Scottish children, which could tell us who their granparents were...

I do hope something comes up to help us either link Isaac to my Sutherland family or tell us who his kin are, until then I will keep your info aside and let you know if I come across anything in my diggings  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Heather, sorry i haven't replied to you earlier post, ive been deep in research mode! in relation to isaac going back to UK with a william Philips, i haven't come across this yet & didn't know that he had done so! also thank you for connecting with my tree, was able to get some info & photos which should be quite helpful. I also noticed you had a photo of one of Robert Philip's children which i had not seen before. I'll have to get that photo as well! In the relation to the Badbea connection im not 100% sure but i think you maybe right but im going to check a few more leads & give Bryce & Jenny a few more dates etc to see if they marry up to their trees'. It isn't that easy to find the past generations if you don't know what your looking for!

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
It isn't that easy to find the past generations if you don't know what your looking for!
That's what's so fun about genealogy. ;)
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 May 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with Bryce....the thrill of the chase if half the fun....I think I was a detective in a past life  ;D