Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 36024 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 13 June 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thought that you might already have had it Heather, I love the fact that we can get access to the newspapers now....the information is amazing!

I'll let you know if I come across anything else of interest, just in case  ;)

Jenny

Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 13 June 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thought that you might already have had it Heather, I love the fact that we can get access to the newspapers now....the information is amazing!

I'll let you know if I come across anything else of interest, just in case  ;)

Jenny

Many thanks.

I also learnt that Isaac when he was living in Australia sometimes did the burial service at Bannockburn, so he did still stay with his being a minister but not with the church if there was one at Bannockburn. That is on  my to do list.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 14 June 10 00:39 BST (UK) »
How interesting! It would be lovely to find some record of him in the Church, minstering or training or something.....though I did have a relative who also performed burials but he was not trained at all...his only claim to the church was that he had two uncles who were ministers, mind you he also masqueraded as a doctor!!! I like your carpenter also performing burials...perhaps he did the coffins too?

Early Australia is fun isn't it, they were often Jack of all trades weren't they  ;D
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 14 June 10 00:44 BST (UK) »
How interesting! It would be lovely to find some record of him in the Church, minstering or training or something.....though I did have a relative who also performed burials but he was not trained at all...his only claim to the church was that he had two uncles who were ministers, mind you he also masqueraded as a doctor!!! I like your carpenter also performing burials...perhaps he did the coffins too?

Early Australia is fun isn't it, they were often Jack of all trades weren't they  ;D

I think they had to be jack of all trades.

But we know he was a minister when he married.

I know now his grandson helped dig graves and helped Isaac.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 14 June 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hey Heather,

Not sure if you have enquired with these guys or not yet, but perhaps there is a record of your Isaac Sutherland in the Methodist (Wesleyan) Collection at the John Rylands University Library?

http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/specialcollections/collections/methodist/

They appear to have a fair amount of info that they can search...perhaps an e-mail there will bring up something  ;)

Jenny

Offline ejbirch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 11 June 11 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am new to Roots Chat.  I am also related to Isaac Sutherland, my great-grandmother was Jane, daughter of William, one of Isaac's sons. 

Regarding Isaac being a Wesleyan Methodist minister, it may be possible that he only became involved in that church on arrival in Australia. This happened with my Pederick family who took up the Methodist faith after they arrived in South Australia.  In the 1970s the Methodist church became part of the Uniting Church of Australia and I note that the Uniting Church of Australia Synod for Victoria and Tasmania has an archivist service that may be able to help see  http://wr.victas.uca.org.au/synod-archives-and-historical-society/ 

By the way my daughter and I spent yesterday finding the graves of the Sutherlands buried at Bannockburn and Meredith cemeteries as well as touring around the district.  At Bannockburn cemetery there was one grave amongst the Sutherland group with its headstone laying face down.  Isaac's maybe?? 

Esther

Gale, Pederick, Perkins, Winnett, Wilson, Sutherland, Gunn, Birchall, Green, Veale, Brereton, Kerr, Artt, Croft

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 12 June 11 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Esther,

Another Sutherland :)

I got the minister from his marriage Banns..

I will transcribe for you..the copy is to large to post

Sutherland Isaac, Minister in Dunn in the Parish Watten, was
married to Margaret Buchanan in Louisburgh.
Alex Gunn, day labourer in Dunn ? for the man & Robt Buchanan weaver in Louisburgh for the woman.

The page dated 1831  Jan 21st

a signature at the bottom of page T.A. Gibson????

I have some photos of Bannockburn cemetry on my Ancestry tree. There is no headstone for Isaac or for Margaret that I could find...

Offline jmd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendent of Isaac Sutherland who immigrated to Australia with his family on the Black Eagle in 1854. I am a descendent of his son Robert and Agnes (nee Cashley). I understand there may be some photos of Isaac around. I am confused by suggestions Isaac may have built the Somerset Hotel in Bannockburn Victoria. I understand it was first licenced in 1854. If Isaac and family arrived in Melbourne in October it doesn't give him a lot of time to be involved in the build. Also interested in suggestion he may have been a minister -is there any evidence of this?
regards

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello jmd1,

The Somerset Hotel was the contract he and his boys got within a week of landing in Melbourne from Mr E.C. Holmes.
His sons William and Robert were contracted for 3 months work at 40 pounds each on the 26th October 1854 and Isaac on same day for 100 pounds for six months work.

This has also been corroborated by the Holmes family and a descendant met several family members at the old Hotel in 2010 when I took the photos.

The oldest daughter Catherine Sutherland with her husband Robert Phillips purchased the Hotel and Robert died in the creek just below the Hotel.

Catherine is my descendant from her first husband.

Isaac Sutherland and Margaret Buchanans marriage Banns are the source of him being a Minister and his death Cert has him as a Wesleyan.

I have been told that he conducted funerals and his grandson William Phillips dug graves and possibly Isaac built the coffins as he was a carpenter.

There are a heap of documents and photos for the family on Ancestry but trying to track Isaacs parents in Scotland has proven very difficult to date.

I have photos of the Somerset Hotel as it is today, the marriage documents, shipping lists etc and I am going after the immigration papers of Isaac and his family.

The Somerset Hotel is at  cnr Shelford &Hervey Rd, Bannockburn, Vic