Author Topic: Lashford  (Read 4043 times)

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandad Harry Reynolds
    • View Profile
Lashford
« on: Wednesday 17 March 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello I wonder if I can ask somebody to look up a William H Lashford born approx. 1835 Birmingham Street Halesowen Worc. I am not sure of his father and mother. I have a William Henry Lashford born 1802 in Stourbridge and his wife is Maria nee Davis, but their son is a William Davis Lashford born approx 1835 in the Parish of Kinver. I have seen both in the 1881 census.
Thank you in anticipation
Sheila
JACKSON OF SUFFOLK, REYNOLDS OF CAMBRIDGE, PILCHER OF KENT, GOSTICK OF BEDFORDSHIRE AND LINCS, UNWIN OF ESSEX AND CAMBRIDGE, PRIME OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WARD OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WOLFE OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lashford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Birmingham Street, Halesowen is their address in the 1871 / 81 census.

Your man was born in Clent, Worcs (blind after a mining accident circa 1860 - according to the 1871 census)

Is this his marriage - might be useful to try & establish his Fathers name?

Marriages Sep 1870   

Green  Mary Ann    Stourbridge  6c 225   
Lashford  William Henry     Stourbridge  6c 225   

There is an 8 year old in the 1841 census, could well be him

HO107; Piece 1195; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Bromsgrove; County: Worcestershire; Enumeration District: Bromsgrove Union Workhouse; Folio: 63; Page: 2

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I will have to get the marriage cert to find his father thank you again.
Sheila
JACKSON OF SUFFOLK, REYNOLDS OF CAMBRIDGE, PILCHER OF KENT, GOSTICK OF BEDFORDSHIRE AND LINCS, UNWIN OF ESSEX AND CAMBRIDGE, PRIME OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WARD OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WOLFE OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 10 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Sheila there's a William Lashford aged 8 in the Bromsgrove Union Workhouse in 1841 born Worcestershire.  Clent came under the Parish of Bromsgrove so it could well be your William.  HTH from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila

I've had a look at the film of the baptisms in Clent today.  No sign of William Henry Lashford.
I could only spot one Lashford in the baptism between 1825-1840 and that was for Jane Lashford on May 26 1826. She was the daughter of Mary Lashford single woman of Clent. By coincidence the next entry on May 28 1826 was for a William Henry BUT his surname was Charlton, son of John and Mary Charlton from Belbroughton.
It's possible that the William Lashford mentioned by Mort29 and Linell is the son of Harriett Lashford, baptised at Stone, Worcs 15 July 1830, whilst his mother was in the workhouse. This information was obtained from FHS on-line database which is pay-to-view at
http://www.fhs-online.co.uk/
(or free at the Worcestershire History Centre.) The database covers Worcestershire baptisms 1813-1840. Clent wasn't transferred from Staffordshire to Worcestershire until 1844.

Regards
Nemo

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nemo, this is a puzzle. I got William Henry's marriage cert and he is saying his father is William Lashford. It doesn't say he was deceased. I have seen on Rootsweb a family tree for a Blick family. It said a Jane was married to a ? Lashford and in 1837 married a Richard Blick I found them on the 1851 census but with young children all with the name Blick. She could have had William Henry before this time. She was born abt 1812 so she could have married about 1832 but where.
Thank you for the above information I will struggle on
Sheila

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
I have found this Jane I was talking about she was a Jane Moore and married a David Lashford in 1832 at st Thomas Dudley Worcester. Davids parents were William and Caroline he was born 1809 at Dudley, he had a brother William Henry but I cannot find a marriage for him I am wondering how far Clent is from Dudley and if anybody has the bmd for Dudley.
Thank you Sheila

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila
According to the genuki website Dudley is 7 miles from Clent. As William Henry's birthplace is shown as Clent on census returns, I am wondering if his baptism was at Belbroughton, which is only a miles from Clent. The IGI transcription of the parish registers for Belbroughton is incomplete, but it does show quite a lot of (earlier) Lashford baptisms. Perhaps it would be worth checking both Belbroughton and Dudley.
Regards
Nemo

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nemo. Will do
Sheila