Author Topic: George Braine abt 1771-1834  (Read 3573 times)

Offline gtbraine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Braine abt 1771-1834
« on: Thursday 18 March 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking for ancestry of George Braine abt1771-1834, merchant in Bristol and subsequently City of London. 1st marriage to Sarah Maies in 1793 producing two children, William Hanley Braine b.bfr. 29.12.1795 and Charles Maies Braine b.bfr. 23.3.1795. 2nd marriage to Elizabeth Paye.

I have info on descendants but I have drawn a blank on George's ancestors. Several Braine families in the Bristol area , and some early ones (c. 16th century) with with very prominent positions. Any help/hints gratefully received.

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: George Braine abt 1771-1834
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 10 11:37 GMT (UK) »
gt,

In the Resources Messages Index you will find the subject GLS trade directories; might be something there.

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
This is just an aside to your query.  I too am researching Brain/Braine in Gloucestershire & in my research have found that George was probably the most common name used by these families.

Researching any Brain/Braine/Braynes in this area is a nightmare, I sometimes think that without these families Bristol & many of the outlying districts would have been devoid of most of their populace.  There were thousands of them!!! ;D
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline gtbraine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 10 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thansk ChasH

At the the risk of sounding like a complete novice.. how do I get into Resources Messages Index?!

gt

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 March 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
gt,

The index is the first message on the page you see when you log in.

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline chrisx2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for ancestry of George Braine abt1771-1834, merchant in Bristol and subsequently City of London. 1st marriage to Sarah Maies in 1793 producing two children, William Hanley Braine b.bfr. 29.12.1795 and Charles Maies Braine b.bfr. 23.3.1795. 2nd marriage to Elizabeth Paye.

I have info on descendants but I have drawn a blank on George's ancestors. Several Braine families in the Bristol area , and some early ones (c. 16th century) with with very prominent positions. Any help/hints gratefully received.

Sorry cannot help with George Braine's ancestors but I hope you might be able to help me with info about descendants. My wife had a relative Maria Lewis who went to live in Jamaica with her uncle John Fry sometime between 1810 and 1820. Subsequently she married William Hanley Braine in Jamaica in 1820and had 3 children. Apparently she died as a widow in Montego Bay in 1831 but I have no info about William's death or  subsequent info about the children after Maria's death. Anything you can supply would be much appreciated

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 June 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Have you looked at Family Search pilot site as I know there were some entries for William Henley/Hanley Braine and family when I was helping the original poster of this thread a while ago with George Braine and family.

I went into the Jamaica Carribean section but there may be others.  It will be a good place to start anyway.

Regards,
Elizabeth

Offline gtbraine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 June 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisx2

All I have on William Hanley Braine is:
b 13.8.1795 St Micheal Bristol
lived/worked in Parish of St James, Jamaica
d abt 8.4.1831 Parish of St James, Jamaica
Married Maria
Maria died 10.6.1831 Montego Bay
Two? children:
Wilhelmina Maria Braine b. 22.1.1824 St James Cornwall Jamaica, d 24.7.1841 SavLaMar
Possibly  - ?George R Braine b.abt. 1821 Jamaica - recorded as ensign in St James regiment of Jamaican militia in 1851

Almost all of this came form Jamaican Almanacs http://jamaicanfamilysearch.com/

Rgds

Chris x1

Offline chrisx2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 June 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi chrisx1

Thanks for your helpful info - much appreciated.

My wife has a family letter written in 1858 by Mary Susannah Hylton (nee Fry) confirming that her cousin Maria Braine had 3 children. LDS records show the 2 children that you have mentioned (George & Wilhelmina) and a third child Mary Price Braine who was christened on 2/11/1822 at St James, Cornwall, Jamaica.

Mary Hylton was born in Jamaica (where she had 3 previous husbands) but in 1858 was living in Camden, New Jersey USA with her 4th husband John Stannard Hylton and family.

Thanks again

chrisx2