Author Topic: Death of a Soldier (Power from Waterford)  (Read 3640 times)

Offline janham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death of a Soldier (Power from Waterford)
« on: Monday 21 March 05 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am not researching the Power name, however I have recently had a Newspaper article transcribed regarding my own Hamilton family, on the same page was an article referring to the death of a Waterford soldier,  the article was written in May 1917 and was taken from "The Waterford News" it may be important to somebody who is researching their family so I have transcribed it below.

HOW A WATERFORD SOLDIER DIED.

The following letter has been received by Mrs. James Power, 48 John Street Waterford:- 2nd Leinsters, B.E.F. France May 21st 1917

Dear Mrs Power- Your letter has only just reached me owing to some insufficiency of address.  The sad news of your son's death is only too true.  I buried him with two of his companions.  I was not with him when he died.  Himself and three others were killed together by a shell which burst just beside them.  From what I could see death was instantaneous.  Regarding his spiritual affairs you need be under no uneasiness as all the men who went into action on that occasion were at confession and Holy Communion two or three times just before the action.  I think God will be good to all those who fell.  They died doing their duty in the cause of freedom and Justice.  The Commanding Officer, Colonel Murphy, and his company officers desire me to say how deeply they sympathise with you in your loss:-
Yours faithfully in Jesus Christ,

J.P. MOLONEY, Chaplain.

I hope this connects with somebody's ancestry, I have also posted this to the Waterford board.

Regards
Jan     

Otho Hamilton, John Hamilton, George Hamilton, William Hamilton, from Waterford.
Cullinane and Fitz-henry from Waterford
Oxland from Waterford
The Olivestob Hamiltons from Edinburgh.

Cook from Stroud, Painswick, Glos.
Hudson from Huddersfield, Liverpool
Spiers from Evesham and Liverpool
Jinks from Evesham and Liverpool

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a Soldier (Power from Waterford)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
Janham
Could you please cite the waterford board/forum.
Thank you

Offline janham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a Soldier (Power from Waterford)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Billiejo,

Sorry, I'm a little confused by your question, the board that I have posted the message onto is on this site (Ireland-General and then the Waterford option).  If you mean where the information came from then it was on the same page in a Waterford Newspaper as a piece regarding my own family.  Sorry if I have misunderstood the question, but I hope this answers it in some way.

Regards
Jan
Otho Hamilton, John Hamilton, George Hamilton, William Hamilton, from Waterford.
Cullinane and Fitz-henry from Waterford
Oxland from Waterford
The Olivestob Hamiltons from Edinburgh.

Cook from Stroud, Painswick, Glos.
Hudson from Huddersfield, Liverpool
Spiers from Evesham and Liverpool
Jinks from Evesham and Liverpool