Author Topic: Jedburgh - Douglas Baptisms  (Read 9335 times)

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jedburgh - Douglas Baptisms
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Or this? Margaret Douglass
Gender    Female
Christening Date    18 Mar 1716
Christening Place    JEDBURGH, ROXBURGH, SCOTLAND
Birth Date    13 Mar 1716
Father's Name    James Douglass

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 05:13 GMT (UK) »
I think that this was Andrew Douglas a brother of James Douglas c1669.
Andrew Dowglas
Gender    Male
Christening Date    20 Mar 1681
Christening Place    JEDBURGH, ROXBURGH, SCOTLAND
Father's Name    John Dowglas
Andrew Douglas was a Gardiner in Jedburgh and for a brief period was a Soldier in Flanders. He returned to being a Gardener in Jedburgh.

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 05:33 GMT (UK) »
James Douglas c1669 - Tombstone

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that, will have a look at the testament of Margaret tomorrow see if it has anything to add. so will delete dates of birth and death from James and look at those other 2 Margarets.

Offline KennethDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 April 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

By chance I was researching Cranstons in Jedburgh over the weekend and found the family of William Cranston & Jennat Douglass (married 14 Jul 1706 in Jedburgh). Their son George was born in 1719 in Jedburgh, and a James Douglas (gardener) and George Ronaldson (weaver) were witnesses.

This note may be a bit peripheral, but I’ve added it in case it's of interest.

Kenneth.
Davidson, Gibson, Douglas, Cairns, Robertson, Stanners, Anderson, Edmond, Samuel, and many more!

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 March 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I know this is quite an old thread. I have recently located an ancestor of mine in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. He was James Douglas who married Janet Sim, in 1745. They moved from Loudoun, Ayrshire - where her father Francis Sim came from - to Kilmarnock, shortly after their first daughter was born in 1747. Looking at the records, from the wedding in 1745 all the way through to 1764, James Douglas is listed as a "Gardener".

At this time another branch of Douglases had moved from Jedburgh to Kilmarnock also. They descended from James Douglas (Gardener) born c.1669 and went into clockmaking. John Douglas, born c.1759 had a portrait painted which can readily be found online. They latterly moved down South to England, to continue their successful enterprise.

What I'm curious about is how my James Douglas connects to the other gardeners in the family. I had considered he might be the same James Douglas - born in 1727 - who was supposedly son of James Douglas (born c.1669). This presents an issue though, in that he marries at 18 to a woman of 24! Not very common in those days? But I don't know. His father was sure old when he was born, and that isn't too ordinary either.

Either that, or perhaps he descends as a son or grandson from the other gardeners - Andrew Douglas or John Douglas? Can anyone illuminate the most likely solution here? Naming patterns don't seem to reveal much in this case. I have my James with children: David, James, Margaret (x3), Francis (x2) and Janet. There was a tenth child who I haven't found yet. Francis is accounted for in the Sim family, as is Janet. So presuming the names David, Margaret or James may come up?

Thanks,

Anthony

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 February 20 01:56 GMT (UK) »
James Douglas was born Sep 1669 Jedburgh to a John Douglas. James was a Gardener (Gardiner) in Jedburgh from at least 1695 when he was living in the Canongate Quarter. He had brothers who were Gardeners - Andrew, and possibly John, William and George. James remained as a Gardiner, he was also a Burgess of Jedburgh. One of his sons was George Douglas 1720 Jedburgh, he became a Gardener. Another son was a James born 1727 in Jedburgh. George 1720 was the father of John Douglas 1759 who was the Master Clockmaker in Jedburgh. John moved to Galston in about 1800, reportedly to work for the Earl of Loudoun. In my direct Ancestry there were another 3 generations of Clockmakers after John Douglas till my father. John Douglas 1759 had 3 sons and all were Clockmakers - Gabriel - also an Innkeeper and Vintner, he was the one who moved to Galston, Kilmarnock, Troon then Irvine; Walter a Master Clockmaker who moved to Muirkirk, Dollar, Galston and then back to Old Cumnock and Muirkirk. He who finished up in Holytown, Glasgow; and John a Master Clockmaker who went to Dumbarton and ended up in Greenock. Buried with James Douglas 1669 are the first 3 infant children of George Douglas 1720 - James, Christian and Janet. James Douglas 1669 had a first marriage - to Isobell Couman 1681 in 1703 - children Cicilia 1707 and William 1708. His second marriage was in 1710 to Jonet Olipher (Oliver) 1687. They had John 1717, Mary 1719, George 1720, Margaret 1722 and James 1727.

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 February 20 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Douglas 1681 Jedburgh (brother of James 1669) married a Jennet Jordain in about 1704 in Jedburgh and they had Robert Douglas 1707 who may have married a Jannet Scott in 1725. In about 1709 Andrew Douglas married a Couman (sister of the Couman who had married James 1669). They had Thomas (1) in 1710, Margaret 1711, Thomas (2) 1716 - he became a Gardener and married a Couman in about 1740. They had an Andrew Douglas in 1742; Andrew was their 4th child born in about 1720 - he had a son John in 1749; and James was their 5th child born in 1726. Andrew Douglas 1681 was a Soldier in Flanders in 1710 and when he returned to Jedburgh he went back to being a Gardener.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 February 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »
My James Douglas who married and died in Kilmarnock could somehow be connected. I'm not sure if he fits with the 1727 James. In any case, he was a gardener too and this suggests possible relation. I'm surprised we can't go further back with this family - as they seem to have been well connected. There is a portrait extant of John Douglas born in 1759 - you can find it easily via the internet. John Douglas born around 1640, is he the very earliest we can trace?