Author Topic: COMPLETED:Childbirth query  (Read 6077 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED:Childbirth query
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Kathb,

Yes, there was only one cause of death on her death certificate, Bronchial Pneumonia. I realise a long period of illness can be a cause of this. She was so young and had only be married for 2 years. I would like to think there might be a grain of truth in what my mother told me. It may remain one of lifes mysteries.

Thank you for explaining things to me and nice to know you have taken the time to help. You have also answered the question on Maternity Hospitals being called Nursing Homes.

However, I did Google the address of the Nursing Home. The only difference is, the house number ( was 29 back in 1933 - and now is no 28) Today it appears to be a Care home.

Have e-mailed the home and wait to see if they get back to me. That's all I can do for now.

Cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Sloe Gin,

I didn't know Registration of stillbirths was introduced in 1927. Might be wrth looking into to.

Thanks

Cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:26 GMT (UK) »

Kathb, Plummiegirl & Sloe Gin,

I have been in contact regarding the the Nursing Home which, today is  a Residential Home.

The lady I spoke to was most helpful and confirms it was a Maternity Nursing Home in 1933. This might "pin down"the fact that she had a child, stillbirth or miscarriage.

Regards

Cupcake

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:44 GMT (UK) »
That does seem to confirm it.  How sad.  Will you pursue it any further, do you think?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:55 GMT (UK) »
It does seem to confirm it. Yes, it is sad :'(.

I am tempted to pursue it further but, where do you go from here. Perhaps I should just accept what I know. Hope to visit her grave in the next day or so.

Regards

Cupcake

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cupcake

I have been following this thread and you say you are hoping to visit her grave.  Have you contacted the cemetery office.  Their records will tell you several things

1: Who purchased the garve

2: If there is more than one burial in the grave ie if child died same time may have been placed in same coffin. 

3: They may even be able to tell which firm of undertakers performed the funeral, if so they to would have records.

I have posted about this subject before.  Right up to the 60's it was not unusual for stillbirths to be placed in coffins of strangers so they have a "christian" burial.  So if she and her child died around the same time they may be together.

Hope this info helps,  Good Luck

Plummiegirl
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Plummiegirl,

Yes, I contacted the cemetery office and they were most helpful. They sent me a plan showing both lairs with details of the occupants of both these lairs.

Her father purchased these in 1915. I did ask if there was baby burial, she said there wasn't. However, where she is buried, there is an 11 month boy, which I believe could be her brother. Also her mother is buried with her.

They were all Full Interments. Hadn't thought about the undertakers who performed the funeral. Will check on this, though.

Yes I read somewhere that is was known for stillbirths to be placed in coffins of strangers. Hopfully this didn't happen.

Sometimes the headstone inscriptions can give inportant information.

Thank you once again for the information.

Kind regards

Cupcake

Offline chastewhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 May 10 23:27 BST (UK) »