Author Topic: Newspapers St Lawrence area - COMPLETED  (Read 2152 times)

Offline ansrch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspapers St Lawrence area - COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 20 March 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I have 2 known dates of death in Jersey.  One is for Jules Lazare who died 30 Jul 1947.  His address in his estate papers was 2 Villa Nuova, Beaumont

His wife, Augusta Carr Lazare died 27 Jun 1960 in her own home, Rue du Galet, St Lawrence and is buried in St Lawrence Churchyard.

Could someone tell me what newspapers might have been in existence in that area/timeframe and how I might find out if there were newspaper obituaries published on their deaths?  Thanks.

Susan
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newspapers St Lawrence area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 10 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

There is a daily paper publish called the Evening Post and it does cover obituaries if they were submitted to the paper. I can have a look for you next week (they are on microfilm).

Stewart

Offline ansrch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart
That would be wonderful thanks.  I'm particularly hoping that Augusta (my gg aunt) might have put something in the paper about Jules as he was an author and editor of academic texts and might have been well known in certain circles.  I do not believe that the couple ever had children.  Augusta lived to a very old age and all of her known family were living in England or Canada when she died.  Thanks again.

Susan

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Are you aware that the Archive Centre have copies of their wills and their occupation registration cards?

Stewart

Offline ansrch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw the references online.  I have a copy of Augusta's will from family papers.

Re the registration cards - I haven't pursued further as it appears the cards have basic info on the couple, which I have.  They would have no young children to be recorded there, though it might say how long they had been living in Jersey.  Augusta's 1953 will says she had lived there for more than 25 years.  Interestingly, her year of birth is listed as 1864.  I saw this on a census after she married too.  I have her birth and christening info and she was born in 1859.  I suspect she reduced her age as she was 5 yrs senior to husband.   She in fact was about to turn 101 when she died, not 96.

Thanks for the heads-up re additional info.

Susan

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

I've had a look at  the microfilm for 2 weeks after the reported deaths. It makes your eyes go funny, so I may have missed something! Sadly I can see nothing about the death of JL. It's not even reported in the "deaths" column.

I can see the death of AL being reported and I took a photo copy of it. If you could send me a PM with your email address, I'll scan it for you.

Stewart

Offline ansrch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Stewart!  I've sent a PM.  Hope it works.

Susan