Author Topic: The Rock Chapel, Rhayader?  (Read 6262 times)

Offline ClaireG77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Rock Chapel, Rhayader?
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Another - hopefully easy one fo you lot!

Can anyon help me with The Rock Chapel, Rhayader.  I don't know if this is an actual chapel or a place?  I have some ancestors married there in 1888.  Google is no help though could be my eyes!

Thanks
CLIFFORD/HICKEY - Co. KERRY
HICKEY - Co. KERRY/??
WILLIAMS/MORGAN - PEMBROKESHIRE
ANDERSON-DEVON/PEMBROKESHIRE
HELLYER-DEVON
GOODWIN/RUEL-RADNORSHIRE
TUTCHER-SOMERSET/BRISTOL/PEMBROKESHIRE

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Rock Chapel, Rhayader?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 10 09:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a  Rock Baptist Chapel  in Crossgates, about eight miles South Of Rhayader.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JEdwinJones43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Rock Chapel, Rhayader?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Rock Baptist Chapel is off the Crossgates - Llandewi Ystradenny road, with a sign leading to a very steep road to a parking area. There are two parts to the graveyard on either side of the chapel. The older part contains quite a few Griffiths, Rogers and other common names of the area. Most of the stones are in bad shape and a census of the whole area is urgently needed. The Powys Aarchives in Llandrindod has the listing of graves and will only provide single enquiries on request.
I was at Rock Chapel last October (2010) and spent a very worthwhile time recoding those stones that fittedmy family research.

John E. Jones