Author Topic: cherry island/mitcham gypsies  (Read 10375 times)

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cherry island/mitcham gypsies
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 18:08 BST (UK) »
Got that, Sandra, thanks.

BTW, although this doesn't specifically mention Cherry Island, there was a report written by Charles Dickens in 1857 on the area that Cherry Island was included in that makes interesting reading.  At that point in time, the part of Canning Town on the south side of the Barking Road was called Hallsville and it was noted for its fetid atmosphere and high level of disease.  I've also seen it written that the gypsy encampments were a whole lot cleaner and healthier than the surrounding streets and houses thrown up to house the dock workers...

It can be found here...

http://historyofstratford.co.uk/CanningTown/CharlesDickens.shtml
Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline DDeacons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always looking for dead people...
    • View Profile
Re: cherry island/mitcham gypsies
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information. The Deacons were from Surrey and Hampshire (so far, back to the 1760's), but my husband's DNA ethnicity shows historical connections to two distinct DNA communities in Ancestry: Iran/Persia and Northern India!

I also wondered about 'Cherry Island' when I came across it on Rachel Smith's 1911 census. Rachel was my husband's 2nd great aunt through Thomas 'Deakins' and Rachel Franklin.
His Deacons tree is public on Ancestry: 'DNA Linked: Deacons & James, Slade & Pilcher'.

Regards, Debbie  :)
Blanchett, Chamberlain, Huckle, Sellick/Sollick, Topliff(e)Deacons, Slade, and most surnames in Sussex!