Author Topic: Sarwen or Carwen place names in Anglesey  (Read 10457 times)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sarwen or Carwen place names in Anglesey
« on: Tuesday 22 March 05 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Can any one please help in identifying these places, they have shown on the 1871 census for Liverpool, after my Gt grandmothers birth place of Anglesey she was born in 1846, at first it was thought to be Corwen but the lady who helped with the search has said it could be either Sarwen or Carwen, I have never heard of a place name like,  could it be an area at the time which has now been swamped up.? I have also asked this question to a kind person who helped me on this site but I thought perhaps if I made it a new topic it might arouse some interest, I hope some one can enlighten me. I was quite happy with my roots in  Amlwch, Anglesey, now I have a spanner in the works. thanks for any help, Regards Liverbirds
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Sarwen or Carwen place names in Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Liverbird,

I'm just thowing in an idea here, but when I read "Carwen" I then though it would probably start with "Caer" not "Car" ("Caer" or "Gaer" means roman fort). Then suddenly realised it could be "Gaerwen" which is on the road between Llanfairpwllgwyngyll and Llangefni (on the A5 now). Don't worry if you think that the "C" and the "G" is a big jump of letters, in Welsh the first letter changes depending on what came before it (in the same way as Caernarfon is the Welsh of Carnarvon and Gaer is the Welsh of Chester).

Infact saying "Gaerwen" in a strong Welsh accent could well sound like "Carwen" to an English ear.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help, I will certainly have a look to see if there is any connection with that area, it does sound as though there was some misunderstanding as far as understanding the accent was concerned. Regards Liverbirds
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 05 00:24 BST (UK) »
Liverbirds,

Gaerwen has good connections on the road - and I would imagine it always would have done.

If you have any other clues, then let us know!

Trystan :)
PS I went to school there.
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 05 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan, thanks so  much for your interest, I have placed another lookup request earlier today, for Catherine Evans and Richard Evans to see if they show on the 1851 census for Gaerwen, some one may know sorry I don't have any other info, it all started with info from a great aunt who was Catherine's daughter and she always said her mother was from Amlwch, but we don't have any birth cert to authenticate, only the 1851 census showing a 5yr old Catherine in Amlwch, the only other 5yr old Catherine on the census, was from Llangristiolus, so it looks as though we are between a rock and a hard place. How large an area would Gaerwen be and is it close to the birth place of the second Catherine? I have wondered if Richard Evans is a brother or father (enumerators mistake) as there is 21 Years difference in age with Catherine, on the 1881 census he is shown with his wife Sarah as brother-in-law to Richard Jones, Catherine's husband, sorry Trystan this is all I have but I do appreciate the help you have given up to now Regards Liverbirds

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 05 21:39 BST (UK) »
Wow,

Something strange just happened - I went to www.streetmap.co.uk as I was going to send you a link to Gaerwen - and the first result (click) had an arrow pointing very near to Amlwch, infact, just to the left of Bull Bay. I looks like a small hamlet. Until today, I thought that there was only one Gaerwen on Anglesey, the second one is shown here (click)

Trystan

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 05 19:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Trystan, have just picked up your message after being away for a couple of weeks, thanks for the extra info you have given me another route to go down, when I raised the map up it looked like Burwen to me but it could very well the place I am looking for.and would probably come into the amlwch area. I do thank you for your interest and help cheers for now Liverbirds

Offline chris.perry

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 December 05 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I think the place you are looking for may be Gaerwen, Anglesey. It is not that far onto the island on the Llangefni Road.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Chris, this is a strong possibility as Gaerwan could sound very like Carwen to an untrained ear, I think I will have to just go to the area myself as I am not getting a lot further, but do appreciate your input. have a lovely Christmas :)