Author Topic: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)  (Read 32912 times)

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Trying to track down some information on the Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox and his wife Isabel, shown on 1911 census at Bricklieve, Sligo. Anyone know where his church was, where he was married or any other useful information. I believe his wife may be a missing daughter of a family I am trying to research. If so her maiden name would have been Witherow
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox (lic. Route Presbytery 1888) was installed at Ballymote Presbyterian Church on 9 Oct.1888 and died 27 Oct.1923- Ballymote seems to have been his only charge.
He was aged 61 years when he died according to civil index so born c1862 (just before registration of births). Married Apr./June 1890 Londonderry registration district to Isabella Witherow.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails

Seems to have been a son- Capt. W.H. Knox, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (Military Cross), Mentioned in Despatches, son of Rev. H. M. Knox, Ballymote
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/roh/rohministersons.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 09:51 GMT (UK) »
strangely there's a second crossmatch for the marriage, maybe one one in a church and a second in a registry office :

no 1:

Name: Hugh Montgomery Knox
 Registration district: Londonderry
 quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1890
 Volume: 2 / Page: 165

Name: Isabella Withrow   [same index details]

no. 2

Name: Hugh Montgomery Knox
 Registration district: Londonderry
 Quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1890
 Volume: 2 / Page: 148

Name: Isabella Witherow  [same index details]

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey and Shanew. Your help is much appreciated. It looks like I'm getting close to finding some living relatives within this family. If you are out there let me know I have a continuous tree going back to 1759 on this line.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
You'd think with at least 7 children there'd be a chance of some descendants!
Here's a link to 1911 census entry in case anyone is interested-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Bricklieve/Graniamore/752867/
Kathleen and Thomas both have Witherow as middle names (transcribed as Witherin).

Son Jocelyn's birth was registered as Jocelyn George Milling Knox and looks like he married July/Sept.1936 Dublin North registration district.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
found details of the marriage for Jocelyn in Dublin...  but cannot find any children born in Ireland to the couple (up to 1958).

as the marriage relates to possibly living people, I will not go into details here. Let me know if you would like to know more and I'll pm you..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Witherow Knox listed in WWI Medal Cards Index.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
some details on Jocelyn Knox's parents...

'...son of the late Rev. H.M. Knox, Ballymoate, Co. Sligo and Mrs Knox, "Lissadell", Finaghy, Belfast...'

does this fit the details you have for Isabel ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
found details of the marriage for Jocelyn in Dublin...  but cannot find any children born in Ireland to the couple (up to 1958).

as the marriage relates to possibly living people, I will not go into details here. Let me know if you would like to know more and I'll pm you..
Shane

Many thanks Shane would appreciate a pm.
The details I have for his mother are that she is Isabella Witherow daughter of another clergyman the Rev. Thomas Witherow and that she was born in Maghera Co. Derry when he was a minister there. This fits well with the 1911 census details (apart from her name being abbreviated to Isabel) all the family's names with the exception of Jocelyn are also names from her line. Don't know where the Jocelyn came from. Her father wrote his autobiography in 1889 and in the postscripts to the autobiography (written after his death) it is mentioned that all but one of his daughters was still alive. It listed out all the husbands one being described as Mrs H.M. Knox. So I'm pretty excited to have found this line. Still working hard to tie down the rest of the daughters though. Got their brothers OK.