Author Topic: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)  (Read 32913 times)

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 December 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
That makes sense. (I'm just back from Jordanstown a few minutes ago)

She remembered a bomb dropping in Whiteabbey on the night of the Belfast blitz - 4-5 May 1941. She certainly talked about Jordanstown, but not (as far as I can recall) living in Finaghy.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 December 11 17:08 GMT (UK) »
The closest I can see is a Thos. Knox, age 27, going from Liverpool, England to St. Johns, N.B. in 1925 but not sure if it is Thomas Witherow Knox.

Thomas Witherow Knox was 2nd Lt. In Royal Irish Rifles.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29755/pages/9122/page.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 December 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
The closest I can see is a Thos. Knox, age 27, going from Liverpool, England to St. Johns, N.B. in 1925 but not sure if it is Thomas Witherow Knox.

Thomas Witherow Knox was 2nd Lt. In Royal Irish Rifles.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29755/pages/9122/page.pdf

Could well be and would explain a lot, as this "odd aunt" spent most of her life in Canada but did visit Ireland from time to time, even staying with us in Lisburn once (after a 13 hour flight Toronto - Aldergrove on an Eagle Air Bristol Brittania!) She was a hardy old duck.

Offline newmark401

• RootsChat Senior
  • None
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There is a lot of information on the Knox family in the following book, which is free to read online:

http://www.archive.org/stream/genealogicalmemo00byuroge#page/n9/mode/2up
--

It's also easy to search for and find the following work online: "A genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry of Great Britain and Ireland". It has lots of Knoxes in it, too.

Mark
History of lawn tennis; players, tournaments, etc.

Offline lk134green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 March 14 03:03 GMT (UK) »
I hope this is still an active thread because I'm so delighted to stumble upon this information.  My grandfather was Leslie Steven Knox (b.1904).  He married Annie Elizabeth Tong (b.1906).  They went to India as tea planters, I thought in partnership with a Knox brother. 
My father, Kevin Tong Knox, was born in Ireland in 1935 and spent his early years in Travancore, India.  He had a younger sister, Moira.  The family returned to Ireland in 1946.
My father, Kevin, emigrated to Toronto, Canada in the early 1950s.  His family joined him after he was established.  Leslie Knox developed cancer soon after arriving in Canada and died in 1957. His wife passed away in 1978.  Kevin and Moira passed away in 1996 and 2010 respectively in Canada.

Offline lk134green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 March 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of photos I'd love some assistance with.  I think the boy is Leslie Knox's son, Kevin, but I'm not convinced the girl is his sister, Moira.  I have no idea who the two adults are.  If anyone can identify them or confirm the location, I'd be delighted. I'm guessing Ireland.

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 02 March 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello there lk134 green

welcome to rootschat.

I was aware of your Grandfather, Leslie Steven Knox and that he had married an Ann Elizabeth but did not know her surname. Leslie Steven's father was the Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox a Presbyterian minister who's church was in Ballymote, County Sligo. Ireland. My line of research has been mainly on the family of the Rev. Knox's wifes family. I know nothing about the Knox family prior to the Rev. Knox.
Rev. Knox and his wife Isabella Witherow had 7 children.
William Herbert Knox
Kathleen Witherow Knox
Thomas Witherow Knox
Hugh Watt Knox
Janet Margaret Knox
Leslie Steven Knox
Jocelyn George Milling Knox.
I can take you back a further 4 generations from Isabella Witherow.

feel free to personal message me for any further information you want. It may be a day or two before I get a chance to get the information for you as I'm a bit busy workwise at the moment.

Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Greetings to another long-lost Canadian cousin.

The two adults are my parents, Joseph Millar Allen and Janet Allen, nee Knox and daughter of the Rev Hugh. I suspect the photograph is taken at our home, 36 Antrim Road, Lisburn, Co Antrim (NI), which we left in 1973 and was demolished towards the end of 2013. The girl looks like Mary Dorman, daughter of my father' sister who lived then in Armagh.

Contact me direct and I'll provide more information.

Offline twolastnames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Great Post !
I hope I'm not hijacking this post.I am trying to find out the siblings of Hugh Montgomery Knox, I believe his sister was Jessie Gardner Knox who married Richard Kerr-Taylor but I haven't had any luck, I visited the church and house that Turfburner posted, I couldn't believe when I seen the picture and ended up talking to a wonderful lady named Edith over a cup of tea in the house, I'm pretty sure she told me that Hughes sister came to live with him in the house to help out with the everyday chores. The church is where my gggrandparents went.
Any ideas would be appreciated
thx
twolastnames