Author Topic: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)  (Read 32914 times)

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Witherow Knox listed in WWI Medal Cards Index.

Many thanks Aghadowey
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Witherow .. have sent you a pm with the marriage details..

I wonder if Isabella named her house Lissadell in Belfast after the house of the same name in Co. Sligo where Constance Markievicz lived ?

p.s. a marriage cert using the references mentioned earlier should show her father's name which should help confirm your connection.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if the two 1890 marriage references have anything to do with spelling of Isabella's name. Although both references list 'Isabella Witherow' the index in Irish Genealogy database have 2 marriages listed for Hugh Montgomery Knox- Isabella Witherow and Isobella Witherow.

I had searched civil index for marriages, etc. of Rev. Knox's family but didn't find much- although if widow and some of the family moved to Belfast that could explain it as index only goes up to 1921 for N.I. counties.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if the two 1890 marriage references have anything to do with spelling of Isabella's name. Although both references list 'Isabella Witherow' the index in Irish Genealogy database have 2 marriages listed for Hugh Montgomery Knox- Isabella Witherow and Isobella Witherow.

I've seen that sometimes where a name is indexed under two alternate spellings.. but in the cases I've come across these both have the same index references

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Trying to track down some information on the Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox and his wife Isabel, shown on 1911 census at Bricklieve, Sligo. Anyone know where his church was, where he was married or any other useful information. I believe his wife may be a missing daughter of a family I am trying to research. If so her maiden name would have been Witherow

hi Witherow,

I have sent you a private message ..

A grandson of Rev. H. M. Knox based in Canada contacted me by email and would like to get in touch with you to share the details he has.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 November 11 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am the moderator of this board and have received a message from a relative of Rev Hugh Montgomery Knox.
It may be the same person who contacted Shane in June this year.

It would be best to post on this thread to receive a response or exchange information.

After 3 posts, new posters can exchange personal messages with other posters.

regards
heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm a Grandson of the late Rev Knox by his second daughter, Janet Margaret born 1902. As I have little information on the family, I will be very interested in anything anybody may have.

Attached is a photograph of the Manse and Church outside Ballymote, taken by me in 1982.

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello there TurfBurner

Welcome to Rootschat

I'm delighted to hear from you, As you can see from this thread I have been tracing the descendants of various branches of the surname of Witherow for a good many years.
The Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox was married to Isabella Witherow, one of the daughters of the Rev. Thomas Witherow DD:LLD I have it that they had seven of a family Kathleen Witherow Knox, Janet Margaret Knox, W.H. Knox (sorry I only have initials for him), Thomas Witherow Knox, Leslie Steven Knox, Hugh Watt Knox and Jocelyn George Milling Knox.

On this branch of the Witherow tree I can take you back to 1759 and would be delighted to assist you in any way I can but as there are 172 people on this branch of your tree it would take a serious amount of typing to get it all on rootschat. Also we do not post details of living relatives on here but I can tell you that I have contact with some of your distant cousins in various parts of the world. Once you have posted three items to Rootschat I can personal message you to get an e-mail address for you and it will be easier to communicate more information to you.

What part of the world do you live in yourself are you still resident in Ireland or have your family moved farther afield?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Regards

Witherow
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 December 11 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Royal Irish Rifles..Sept 1916 T W Knox is mentioned 

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.