Author Topic: Saving search parameters  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Saving search parameters
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
The search facility on RootsChat is great apart from one thing : there doesn't appear to be any way of saving search parameters! Most of the time I do searches it tends to be on the same set of boards and it's a little frustrating having to uncheck all boards each time and then go through selecting just those that I want. Being able to define and save a particular search (as with eBay) would be the ideal. Failing that a personal default or the same parameters used for my last search would be better than what we have now. It seems such an obvious requirement that I'm sure there must be a very good reason why you haven't already done it.   ???
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saving search parameters
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
actually, I found that using Google or your own fav' search engine is just as good - the site is included in google web spiders.

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 17:36 GMT (UK) »
actually, I found that using Google or your own fav' search engine is just as good - the site is included in google web spiders.

Thanks for your reply Mort29. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Google web spiders so do you think you could tell me how I would use Google to save a RootsChat search?
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
either use Google or another search engine in its own browser page, or download the Google Toolbar so that you can search direct within the browser page you have current .....

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/toolbar/ff/index.html

you may need a different downlaod page if you dont use FireFox

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
either use Google or another search engine in its own browser page, or download the Google Toolbar so that you can search direct within the browser page you have current .....

I'm sorry Mort29 but I'm just not with you at all. Perhaps we're at cross-purposes here, so let's take an example to clarify things. Say I want to save a RootsChat search of "Smith" in the "One name Studies : N to S" board posted in the past month. How can the Google Toolbar help me to save such a search and retrieve it at a later date?  ???

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 10:02 GMT (UK) »
yes, total cross purposes. I use Google as a search engine substitute, and have not needed to save any searches.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I am one of many who would be very happy if the person in charge of this stuff

1.  Unticked the search boxes as default and
2.  Put a search button at the top as well as at the bottom.

Not much to ask.  But our pleas are always ignored.  ::)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for your support Sloe Gin. I would be happy if they gave us what you suggested as a compromise. You say you are one of many but 97 people have read this and you are the only one who shares my feelings to some extent. I did at least expect "the person in charge of this stuff" to say why not.  :(

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 March 10 21:40 GMT (UK) »

We would be happy too, but, as we have often said before, it is a proprietry software and, we can't change it.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)