Author Topic: Finding a will  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a will
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 12:56 BST (UK) »
How exciting for you!  And I'm sorry that I was thwarted in High Holborn, otherwise you would probably have got the copy of the will in the post today.
You seem to be getting plenty advice about how to order this by post now - I hope you don't have to wait too long for it to arrive.
Keith

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Keith.
Pam, do you ean I can get it from Manchester CRO?  If so can I get it by post or do I have to go in person?
I can't really get there at the moment so I would have to request it by post - is this possible and is it still £5?
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 15:27 BST (UK) »
Different record offices seem to have different policies and charges.  I went in person to Carlisle and paid 20p a page for my wills which were in full on film.

I've just called the Greater Manchester Records Office and they said they have indexes from 1858 to 1951 refering to fiche which will contain:-

Name
Date of death
Occupation
Where will was proved
Estate Value
Executor's name

NOT FULL WILLS

From this you would then need to apply as previous posters have advised for the full will which costs the fiver.

I got this info using the number on their home page http://www.gmcro.co.uk/

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Lindy Lou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Go to the www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
web site, click on family history then wills.
There you can search for a will using surname, gives information which enables you to establish which one is the one your looking for.  Once established you have the right one, you can use the code and pay £3.00 and you then have a choice of downloading it straight away or anytime up to seven days.

I ordered one off the site the other week, admittedly I knew the date of death, allow about three months for probate.  Incidentally the one I ordered was for a death in December 1847 and the will was proved end of February 1848. 
Just a point to be aware of, when you receive the will they come in three's, I initially thought I had received the wrong one, but the one I wanted was the middle one.

Hope this helps!
Lindy Lou
Kent: Saunders, Outteridge, Jeffery
Sussex: Stevens
Surrey: Fry

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy Lou,

That is the best way to find PRE-1858 it's the POST-1858 ones that are a pain  ;D

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy

Those wills on the national archives site are PCC wills only.  Furthermore PCC wills account for only a proportion of pre 1858 wills - often only for people that had property in more than one place (the more affluent?) and seamen etc..  The other pre 1858 wills will be with the appropriate local county record office so you may well find more for your family in the appropriate location  :)

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 March 05 11:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry to disagree but it is worth contacting the county record office. 

Would Carlisle be different for some reason?

Don't know about Carlisle, but I got the same from the E. Yorks record office. Mine came on 2 A3 sheets and I paid about 2 quid.

Also had the same from Gwynedd archives in Caernarfon, having not been able to find the wills on the national archives site. (all post 1858!)
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II