Author Topic: John Reid married about 1803  (Read 11011 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Reid married about 1803
« on: Thursday 25 March 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
George Reid was born on 5 Oct 1811 in Jedburgh. His parents were John Reid, Gardener of Jedburgh and Anne Frater. George was the last of their three children born in Jedburgh - the first being born in 1804. John Reid would have therefore married Anne Frater about 1803/04, but I can find no record of their marriage.

Can any kind soul help out?

Thanks,
Simon

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Reid married about 1803
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Actually I'm guessing George Reid was born in Jedburgh. On the 1871 English census, he was 59, a provision dealer, and born in what looks like "Jalborough" or "Jabborough". The only similar place I can find is Jedburgh and I'm guessing the census taker misspelt Jedburgh as Jedborough

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry,

Can't help out with the marriage.  Had a look, but it's not unusual not to be able to get records from the period before 1855.  Some marriages not registered /recorded, some records lost.

The IGI has 'extracted ' births for the 3 children - all born Jeburgh, Scotland

Margaret Reid b.  20 Jun 1804
John Reid ch. 02 Oct 1806
George Reid b.  05 Oct 1811.

Originals of these entries can be downloaded from the ppv site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for £1.20 each.

Regards,   Steve
 :)

Offline Jonno12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Simon,
I googled George Reid Jedburgh 1811 and found my way here.
Im brand new on this forum and unfamiliar with its navigation and etiquette so forgive me if Iv'e gone about this the wrong way.
I recently started tracing my family tree and believe George is my 3rd great grandfather.
I reached the same conclusion as yourself re the 1871 census and then searched Scotlands People and saw the birth record showing John Reid and Anne Frater as parents. Thats where I hit a brick wall.
Any info you can supply would be gratefully received.
Please check out my tree on ancestry.co.uk.
Rgds
John
Reid in Roxburghshire, McLoughlin in Castlebar, Mullin in Mayo,
Golden in Newry, Garvey in Belfast, Keane in Dublin.

Offline Jonno12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
John Reid born Jedburgh 1771.
Further to the above,
I have tracked down the death register entry for John Reid.
He died in 1857 at 14 Burnwynd Jedburgh. His age is recorded as 86, his proffesion as gardener, and as a widower. His parents are recorded as John Reid and Jeanie Turner. The witness is James Brown, grandson.
From scrutiny of the 1841 and 1851 census James is the son of Margaret Reid, now Brown, living at the above address.
From the age of death John was born in 1771. On the census he gave his place of birth as Jedburgh.
I have not been able to trace his birth or parents. One record I did rule out was a record for the birth of John Reid in 1776 in Cambusnethan to parents John Reid and Jannet Reid.
Can anyone help me past this wall?
Thanks
John

Offline Jonno12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 15:52 BST (UK) »
Going back to that record for John Reid born 1776, am I being too hasty in ruling it out? The 1841 & 1851 census records John as born in Jedburgh. The birth record is for Cambusnethan, Muirhouse born the 5th June and baptised the 15th of July 1776. If the age at death is correct John should have have been born 1771 (could the birth registrar assumed the child was born the same year as the baptism?). From the death record Johns parents were John Reid and Jeanie Turner. The birth record has the parents as John Reid and Jannet Turner being their 5th child.
I can find no marriage record or siblings.
Still no trace on Anne Frater.
Any advice or help please.
Thanks
John

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 13 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble posting today so apologies if you get this twice.  Jonno was Anne Frater born Jed as well?
If you are having trouble finding any of them in the OPRs then they were probably non conformists and pretty sure the Hawick Hub have some of the records.  A large percentage of Jedburgh people used a different church to the Church of Scotland.

I saw your post on the BFHS forum of which I am a member.  I also have Reids in the Jedburgh area but have never managed to get anything on them but I live in hope.

Barbara

Offline Jonno12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 March 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where Anne Frater was born. The family were part of the Congregational church. I have had a remote search completed by the heritage hub at Hawick which provided some background on John 1771 and George 1811 but took me no further. The BFHS has 31 Reid family trees on its files but they arent listed by forenames or d.o.b so I wouldnt know where to start.
Thanks
John

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes I see on the 1851 she had already died.  I am at our archives in Old Gala House on thursday and if I get time will have a look in the trees.  We are going to be working on them in the future to make them more user friendly as at the moment a Reid tree might only have one Reid in it. Have you checked on the Scottish national archives site where the Congregational church records are if they have survived.

Barbara