Author Topic: Gloucester John OAKLEY bc1820 to Tassie and Lancefield.  (Read 9843 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gloucester John OAKLEY bc1820 to Tassie and Lancefield.
« on: Thursday 25 March 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi'
  I'm looking for anyone who is researching the Oakley family here in Australia.  As you will see from the following thread...    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=445724.new        I am trying to identify a convict with the name of John Oakley, as he may well be my great great grandfather.   My John Oakley's wife was named Jane nee Hamilton, and apart from them being in Launceston Tasmania from 1857 to 1863, I know that the family lived around the Lancefield area of Northern Victoria.   Anyone out there who knows of this family????
Many thanks,
Rap

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester John Oakley bc1820 to Tassie and Lancefield.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rap

If you would like to post this chap's death date (day and month, not just the year) I am happy to look up the contemporary local paper.   If he was in Lancefield from 1863 to his death it's possible there will be a mention.  I have not looked at that paper before so have no idea how much personal info there is in it - some country newspapers have wonderful obits and wedding/funeral descriptions. 

Won't be at the National Library though till at least Tuesday and perhaps not till after Easter.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester John OAKLEY bc1820 to Tassie and Lancefield.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 March 10 03:32 GMT (UK) »
That would be just wonderful Judith....thankyou very much for the offer.

As far as we know, John was a Hawker, who was in a horse and cart accident....he must have had internal injuries and appeared to be fine at first.  Later he was taken to Melbourne where he died. He died June 5th 1878...but obviously his accident was before this date.  It would be great if there was mention of his wife Jane....even a slight hint that she was still alive in 1878...just anything to direct me in a new direction on the search for the latter parts of this fellow's life.

Many thanks Judith and best wishes
Rap

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 March 10 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rap  :)

On the off-chance, I checked the NLA's online digitised newspapers (mainly state ones) and what do you know - a report of John's inquest!  Unfortunately no mention of his wife...just a son (who is not named)  :-\

Hopefully Judith will be able to find you something more in the local paper...

The Argus (Melbourne), Saturday, 8 June 1878, page 5
Mr. Candler held an inquest yesterday at the Melbourne Hospital on the body of John Oakley, aged about 50 years, who died there on the 5th inst. from the effects of some internal injuries. The deceased was a hawker, and lived at Lancefield. When driving his cart loaded with goods about six weeks ago, he fell out, and one of the wheels passed over his body. A quarter of an hour afterwards he was found sitting on a fence at the road side by his son, to whom he complained of having been hurt in the back. He blamed no one for the occurrence. Mr. R. Sides, M.B., one of the resident surgeons at the Melbourne Hospital, gave evidence that the deceased was admitted on the 14th of April suffering from slight bruises over the region of the liver and complaining of internal pain. Under treatment he improved considerably until about the 5th of May, when he was seized with shivering fits. He afterwards gradually sank until he died. The cause of death was internal injuries, and the jury returned a verdict that the deceased had died from the injuries referred to, which were accidentally received.

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 March 10 03:52 GMT (UK) »
How wonderful PrueM....was just looking myself!  This is just great....never expected to see the 'full story'!!!
Thankyou so much....very much appreciated!!  Cheers, Rap.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 March 10 04:29 GMT (UK) »
I know on your other post you listed his death as 1878 I have put these here so others can veiw them quickly.
Have you got a copy of his inquest from PROV?

Death:

OAKLEY John age 56yrs d. 1878 #6090
Birth Place: GLOU
Father: Unknown
Mother: Unknown

Inquest:

OAKLEY John age 56yrs d. Melbourne 1878 #498
Cause: Fall From Cart

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 March 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »

Hello Rap
                I can see John Oakley, "Lady Montagu"  permission to marry Ann Riley "St Vincent" 1854. Are you finding children born to these parents, during the time that children are born to John Oakley and Jane Hamilton - in Tasmania?.

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 March 10 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe,....thanks for your interest.
    I have a lady here in Vic, who has found mention of John and Ann Oakley living at Lancefield (where I know that my gggrandmother grew up)....she said that she had found a child to them in 1863 (which overlaps the children of Jane and John Oakley) on Digger, and was going to forward both entries to me, but never did.  I have tried to contact her again without any luck.
  Unfortunately, I don't have access to Digger to check just at the moment, but I do have a newspaper clipping from the Argus, July 3, 1873 stating that an Alfred Oakley, at Lancefield, had an argument with a fellow, and had shot at him.  It went on to say that Oakley IS married to a 'sister of Riley, who was recently hanged at Wagga for the murder of drover Eppell'....now, I cannot place an Alfred Oakley in the children of John and Jane...there is an Albert Oakley b1860 (who would have only been 13 in 1873) who married a Mary Reily...but this Reily connection seems to go back to convict John (if he is our John) who can be found on his original records in Tasmanian Archives, to have been disciplined for 'locking himself in a room for hours with a Hannah Reily'.
        As you have probably read, we are not sure of our John's name, and my ggrandmother has his name as Alfred John Oakley on her wedding certif.  The date of 1873 would point to this Alfred being our John, as there are no other known Alfred Oakleys that I know of in my line, living in Lancefield.  It also supports the marriage of John and Ann Reily still existing at this time....but we know that my gggrandmother's name was Jane Hamilton!  Was there two John Oakley's living at Lancefield from 1870 to 1885????  I am waiting for a reply from the Lancefield H.S to see if there were two Oakley families living in the area at that time....still waiting!
   Typical of people with convict pasts, they are very good at hiding their identities and their past history!  ....not giving up yet!
Many thanks wivenhoe, and best wishes.     Rap

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 March 10 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you got a copy of his inquest from PROV?
Merlin

You would need someone to do this on your behalf if you are unable to visit PROV.  There are agents who provide this type of service.  Copies are not provided by PROV.

I have a lady here in Vic, who has found mention of John and Ann Oakley living at Lancefield (where I know that my gggrandmother grew up)....she said that she had found a child to them in 1863
Rap

Browsing the OAKLEY births in Victoria - there is only one birth of an unnamed female to Edward OAKLEY and Ann JOHNSTON at Woodend in 1863 Reg#18157.

The only births to 1888 to a John and Ann OAKLEY in Victoria are three in 1883, 1885, 1887 to an Augustine John and Annie Elizabeth ROGERS at Carlton and Hawthorn.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk