Author Topic: List of Cromwellian Soldiers  (Read 47378 times)

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: List of Cromwellian Soldiers
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 June 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Mmmm.   Worrying strategy.  Basic rule.    Never work downwards, always upwards from yourself.

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you.

However, when you reach a brick wall you have to think outside the box.

Dara.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 03:11 BST (UK) »
Like you, I just come across my names but nothing about them, who they were etc.... Just a list of names!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
Presume you've looked here but just in case, here's some Eyres  http://www.rootschat.com/links/092b/

Offline Barbara Eyre

• RootsChat Member
  • Eyre - Co. Kilkenny & Co. Wexford, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 July 10 03:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone advice thus far.

hallmark - thanks for that link.  I'll bookmark it for further investigation.

The thing is, I don't know who my England Eyre connection is ... hence why I was hoping to get a list of English Eyres who served in Ireland under Cromwell and got lands in Co. Wexford as compensation, as many soldiers/officers did.  Then there is a slight chance I can work forward until I reach Henry Eyre (b abt 1780 or so).

*shrugs*  It's a long shot, I know, but I just have no further clues at this point.   
Eyre: Co. Kilkenny/Co. Wexford, Ireland
Bradley: Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
Christie: Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
Thompson: W. Derby, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Taylor: Woodbury, Litchfield Co., CT -> Manhattan, NY 
Wood: Delevin, MN -> Greene, NY -> Bergen, NJ

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 09:12 BST (UK) »
Have you checked via Land Registry? I'm just rounding up the various locations of where mine were so I can do a search for them in one go.
Your Henry might have inherited land from parents etc so there should be transfer details...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say; I was looking through a site one day and came across a reference to something in 1591, I emailed them and got this;

"The reference dated 1591 is taken from a survey of Co. Monaghan which was undertaken in that year.

The survey was published as a separate section in the following book which is a calendar of 17th century Ulster Inquisitions, 'Inquisitionum in Officio Rotulorum Cancellariae Hiberniae asservatarum Repertorium', vol. II (1829) [= a repertory of Inquisitions preserved in the Rolls Office of the Court of Chancery of Ireland]."

So quite possibly there are other volumes related to other inquisitions....

Offline Barbara Eyre

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
hallmark -

I did a google search for Ireland Land Registry, but none of the results I got seemed to be related to the time period we're looking at. Do you have a link to a database - if one exists ... or whatever other means does one look at the registry?

Oddly enough, it seems so few of us are looking at this whole Cromwell situation (battle, land grants, etc) as part of our genealogy research ... which only makes things harder!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
Land Reg won't get the Acquisitions as such but will get any Eyres who registered their property in early 1700's, if any. They are not on line. If for example, you know where one of them had property at any time  you can check to see if he inherited it from his father, who his father was, plus the record of changes to the property up to present times. You have to go in person, you need Surname/Townland. It's basically a history of a property

http://www.tcd.ie/history/1641 has been released by not all that informative. They also have a lot more stuff on Cromwell that will be reseased eventually. I had a look for certain people but nothing for them using search keywords, nothing! Yet when I just browsed through it there they were! Some stuff/records relevant to mine being given land in this period are in Essex!

Haven't looked in the Rolls Office of the Court of Chancery of Ireland yet so don't know what else they might have. 1591 survey of Co. Monaghan etc...

As a matter of interest, do you have a particular townland in mind for yours?

Offline Barbara Eyre

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 July 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
hallmark,

So sorry for the delay in responding ... life ..  ::)

Let's see ...

For the 1798 Claimants and Surrenders listing, I have:

• Henry Eyre, Farmer, Kilpatrick, Co. Wexford
  • John Eyre, Farmer, Ballinvally, Kilnamanagh, Co. Wexford [son of Henry]
  • William Eyre, Ballinvally, Kilnamanagh, Co. Wexford [last son of John, my gg-grandfather]

I have a compilation of Kilnamanagh Baptismal Register 1818-36, which lists the children of John and Sarah [Edwards] Eyre ... John being the aforementioned son of Henry Eyre. Ballinvally was listed for all listed children.

Since the first child of John and Sarah was born 1823, I guestimated John's birth year as around 1790-1800.  In turn, I guestimated Henry's birth year as 1760-1770 ... for each, figuring they had their first child sometime between the age of 20-30. 

Now, a small interesting note ... one of John and Sarah's children was John Pentire Eyre (b. 1835, d. 1912). He married Elizabeth Earle and their family continued on the land until 1966, when Mary Elizabeth died at age 87 (unmarried). According to my distant cousin in Ireland, whom has been able to obtain a good bulk of this information, said the following:

The land that the Eyres lived on in Ballinvally, Co. Wexford (60 acres) and in Kilpatrick, Co. Wexford (20 acres) were given to a Philip Doyne, who was a courtier of King Billy (of the Battle of the Boyne fame in 1693). This land (10,7000 acres) was in counties Wexford and Carlow. The gentleman died and his widow, Anne, married Giles Eyre of Eyrecourt.

The Eyres in Ballinvally and Kilpatrick may have come over from England to Wexford at the invitation of Philip Doyne, but this has to be verified.

It's kind of contradictory in how the lands came to be in Eyre hands: via a 2nd marriage or directly from the "original" owner (Doyne).  But I have seen Giles name mentioned somewhere (A Google books entry I believe) in relation to having lands in Wexford. I just don't know if the Galway Eyres are connected to us since I have NO genealogy to bridge the two families. [See the Dedication: http://www.meddows-taylor.com/Eyre.htm and http://www.butson.net/who_are_these_eyres.htm]

So, that puts us, at the earliest known time (early 1800s) in Ballinvally, Kilnamanagh, Co. Wexford. 

Since I have no birth information for John, nor his father Henry, I can only assume for now that they were both from the same area during their time of birth and growing up. 

On a side note, I don't remember where I recently read about this (probably here on Rootschat! LOL), but there is a book you can get at amazon.com called "Cromwellian Settlement of Ireland" by John P Prendergast, 2nd ed, pub. Dublin 1922. The name and address of each Adventurer is listed. The website below lists all listed surnames, which for me includes: Eyres and Ayres. I'm hoping to obtain a copy in the coming months. http://home.alphalink.com/au/~datatree/wolf 38.html

I honestly have no clue if my cousin and I are chasing a lame duck when it comes to finding out if our Eyre branch started out as some Eyre soldier/officer, who came over with Cromwell in the 1640s, is the one who started our branch in Wexford or not.  Since there doesn't seem to be any direct connection to Giles and the Galway Eyres ... this is our only other assumption we can make.

If anyone thinks we are on the wrong track (we're missing the obvious or something), please let me know! We're open to suggestions!

Also, are there any surviving census or other documents from mid to late 1700s Ireland (hopefully Co. Wexford), so that we could find information on Henry???